Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

My father gave me Saab 99 -82 as birthday present. I was going to buy it but as my birthday was coming, so father paid it for me, car was 50€ + 40€ for new clutch.
Now that the story time is over i was wondering how easy/hard it would be to swap the B201 to more modern Saab engine? I don't know if there is any similarity with modern H-engines. Just playing with the idea, can't really do it before i get one of my other cars running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Viggen posted:

Don't do that. Sell it to someone who wants that car. T5/T7 is awful, and LH 2.4 is so dated, it's not even funny. If you destroy a 99, I will find you.

:q:

drat... I guess i stick with it :(. There isn't any real reason to swap the engine, car and the engine is in fine shape, rugged but working.
Car itself is loving great, no going to sell it for a while.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Tomarse posted:

Do it :)
Thanks! Got any pictures?
It's 2dr GL 5 speed so its not so rare, at least in Finland. It was going to be crushed, until my father founded it out. Previous owner just wanted get rid of it.
I was thinking about getting late 90s 900 that didn't pass vehicle inspection or is for some other reason taked out of the road. In Finnish Saab forums there are bunch 8v turbo swaps but no NA 16v what i was thinking.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Tomarse posted:

Only crappy pics of the engine swap im afraid!

Thanks for the pictures!

Viggen posted:

Given the current state, I see no reason to take something stock-and-fix/usable, and change it up. I'd rather a 202, but honestly, if I had a 99, even if it wasn't rare, I'd be rubbing it down with diapers.

I just hate to see mods on still-stock old cars which are becoming more, and more rare. Then again, some did get produced in Finland, so they're probably not horribly impressive, there.
Mine is build in Finland, is funny to have some text in Finnish and there some modification done to suit weather and the laws. In light switch there is daytime running position where it drops voltage to headlights. I think its really neat feature.
Still its is pretty uncommon car even in Finland, but there isn't real value in them. Mostly people still use them as daily drivers. There are 13 at sale now in Nettiauto.com for 200€-4900€, 3 of those are over over 900€, one is cabriolet and 2 are oldtimers, don't know the real term, they are over 30 years old cars that get cheaper insurances and taxes but can only be driven for 30 days in year and are inspected to be in the same condition as the came from factory. Rest of the cars seem to be pretty much same shape as mine.

I guess this is pretty much the same situtation that most finnish gearheads have when watching US forums/programs where they "ruin" 85 Camaro or something like that. Mythbusters car myths are horrible stuff to watch.
Sometimes its even hard to read AI.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Cause people in saab club only write cryptic messages or nothing at all, try to ask this in here. Should there be a vacuum in both the manifold and the valve cover when the engine is not running and testing it with vacuum pump?
Drew this fancy diagram, Green is OK and red is not OK.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well the vacuum canister repair failed unfortunately. I'm currently building a new one. I found this empty can with a thread that I was able to fit a brass T-piece to. It seems like a suitable candidate. Ordered some banjo fittings so I gotta wait for those.

It feels like a bit of a janky looking setup even if it works. Maybe I'll paint it black or something.

Just some photos, into the woods on some tiny rear end road, looking for blueberries (billberries).

We got a 10l bucket filled at least

Saabismi on sairaus. :nono:

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

You mean the finnish saab club? It seems real slow there last I checked, I mostly write on the swedish forums and UK one, a lot more life there.

I too have vacuum issues, not engine related anymore. I have an entirely new vacuum tank now, and it is holding it's vacuum from what I can tell, the check valve is working. But the air selector switch isn't making it's typical hissing noises anymore or really selecting anything. If I put it into the "high" mode the fan blows harder, though nothing comes from the centre valve. Now only tested with the car standing still so far. Not really sure what's the cause. It's like the components inside get no vacuum, though I haven't disturbed or touched anything in there.

I guess I need to inspect the vacuum lines inside the dash, starting with the one coming from below the air filter which I have touched multiple times. How do I most easily access these? I looked at removing the lower dash but it looks like I have to remove the instrument panel and everything for that, which sounds crazy to me.

I noticed if I pull the vacuum line that goes under the air filter and into the compartment, there's a hiss as the vacuum from the tank is equalized. That makes me wonder if perhaps the line is plugged behind the vacuum fitting, since there are things there in the dash that would "use up" the vacuum and it's not being used up, so to speak. So maybe it't not leaking inside, maybe the line is plugged somehow?

Yeah, the finish one. It's slow but there are people who know everything about Saabs, too bad they can't write and use inside lingo.

Do you have vacuum pump? Thats pretty easy way to test the hoses. Have this one and it has been working fine.
https://www.toolpacknet.fi/fin/alipainepumppusarja_laser-p-713525-0/

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Saabs are odd, but I don't think the hood is supposed to overlap the door.

Good thing the hood was open.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Kosmos posted:

Saabs are odd, but I don't think the hood is supposed to overlap the door.

Good thing the hood was open.

Got this fixed it cost 500€ and the guy charged only for 1 day not 1,5 it took. That's still 10 times what the car cost :smithicide:

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

So what's it look like now then? And you got a car for 50€?
Not great, not terrible.

There was difficulties cause it's a Saab and the door had moved forward and it didn't closeup properly.
The guy promised to paint it for free if I get the paint. The color is one of the harder ones to get.

A family friend was going to send it to the wrecker, dad heard about it and bought it for 50€, then paid 50€ for new clutch that local garage had lying on the shelf's.
Yeah pappa betalar :homebrew:

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Tried applying some yellow headlight film, first time ever so I did a lot of misstakes, apparently you can use heat to make it go easier. Will do that on the next one.

70W 24V lamp running on 12V gives a suitably weak shine to work as a position lamp instead of a blinding fog light.

Here's a 24 and 12 volt H3 lamp both running on 12V. Hard to see on the photo but the 12V one is more than twice as bright.

If you are looking for position lights here's NOS Talmus https://www.tori.fi/uusimaa/Talmu_huomiovalot__117193797.htm?ca=18&w=3
Does the 900 have a socket for position lights like the 99 has?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Some 900s have mounts on the bumper, I will fabricate my own.

Like this

Meant an electricity socket. I think it's male version of this.

I have one that says HUOMIOVALOT underneath it.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't seen anything at least. I will be doing my own custom wiring at any rate.

Was just interested if they still have those. Mine is next to the fusebox.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

I'll have a look around later, be nice to save some effort on the wiring job.

Also ignore this 24V doohickery above, I snowed myself in on the 24V lamps. But it would actually be easier to just use the 12V lamps in foglight mode, then use a suitable resistor to reduce the voltage for position lamp mode.

Does the 900 still have that relay that drops the voltage of the headlights to ~6v? Dont know if that would make it easier or harder though.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Managed to fish the loose connector out without having to remove anything, it does not look like this. And regardless of light configuration no power was sent to the connector, seems entirely inert. Wires are not very thick either so I doubt it's meant to handle much of anything.

I also found out I do not have a working fog light in the rear either. And I am not sure which light is supposed to be the one that lights up even.

e: I need to see if they power on during reverse, that would be cool if they were leftovers from when saab had front reverse lights.

900s probably doesn't have that anymore or your's isn't made in Finland. Would guess that's a Finnish specialty. I have old-school DRLs and that socket, so guess I should use it then. :shrug:
Trying to get the 99 inspected tomorrow, so everyone needs to really focus their energy on it or pray to Satan so it will pass. It's the first time in... uh... +12 years? :kstare:

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Time is near my brothers! 10 minutes to the moment! Send all your mental Saab powers to the 99 and let's make this happen!

Managed to fish the loose connector out without having to remove anything, it does not look like this. And regardless of light configuration no power was sent to the connector, seems entirely inert. Wires are not very thick either so I doubt it's meant to handle much of anything.

I also found out I do not have a working fog light in the rear either. And I am not sure which light is supposed to be the one that lights up even.

e: I need to see if they power on during reverse, that would be cool if they were leftovers from when saab had front reverse lights.
Here's my socket. Guess the 900 doesn't have that anymore.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

From the abyss, Shub-Niggurath's essence births the Saab 99, an eldritch chariot. Inspectors tremble as it arrives at the station—cosmic forces entwined in its metal. Anomaly and enigma, it beckons, a key to unlock existence. Dare you step into the abyss?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

Nope. Rust and handbrake. Nothing too bad, still annoying.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

And then the reverse lights stopped working. Fuse is OK, lamps are OK. Just no power going through the wires for the reverse lights. Suspecting the switch.

I have a broken switch and no power going to the lamps, the switch has 12v on it. Good thing I wanted to double-check if they work when connecting the wires. Really don't want to start going through the wires though. Hopefully, it's a corroded connector. It has been unused since 2012 it has some corrosion on the electorics. It's rear foglight is also not working so hoping they are in the same connector that corroded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure which light is supposed to be the fog light. Based on the saab manual I can only conclude lol:

7 not pictured.

No.6 is also not a brake light on mine as the manual says, it's constantly on. I am suspecting now that the PO has connected things up incorrectly. Turned the brake light into a rear light, put in a smaller bulb. I doubled up his error by doing the same to the right side.

I now think that no. 6 is a brake light that doubles as the rear fog light, and is supposed to be dark normally.
Would guess 2. It's 21W, usually the rear lights are 5W.

Edit, or is backljus reverse light?

Captain Kosmos fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 4, 2023