Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
If I need a new engine for a 2002 9-5 2.3t wagon, where do I get one for a reasonable cost? I drained the oil of my new car and it was full of metal, and the oil light comes on at idle once the engine is hot. I replaced the sender, cleaned the oil pickup (where I found a large flake of metal) and the oil light still comes on.

The seller sold it to me as having a bad sender, and I believed him, for some reason. It has one of those oil pressure gauges on the oil filter, and it didn't show a pressure drop, but the metal in the oil kinda takes steam out of the "the engine is still ok" theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

ssh posted:

Yes, we are. Depending on the model and how you can squirm, getting a tiny mirror and flashlight up under there can be done pretty swiftly. Each model is a slightly different case by case, though.

How do you get a flashlight into the oilpan? Pop all the bolts of of one side?

the 02 9-5 sport combi I have has some sludge, but also has oil pressure troubles. Id like to limp this motor for as long as possible, so I have to keep the pickup clean. When I got it, there was a bunch of crap plugging the pickup, along with chips of metal. Its coming up on its first oilchange now, (2k miles after the pan removal) and Id like to see if more bits of metal are sticking to the pickup or that was just from the turbo making GBS threads itself.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

ssh posted:

Obviously not a full size flashlight.

Just a high output led penlight attached to a tiny mirror with little bitty wires. You know, something the size of about a pencil with one of those dental-sized mirrors. I just glued the base of the LED at an angle on a pair of broken glasses hinge and used that to manipulate the light in relation to the mirror.

No, it didn't work all that great, but it was a hell of a lot more fun than dropping the pan.

If you've got pressure issues, I'd strongly suggest you take a look at that pickup now. Also, make sure your light actually works for the pressure gauge. If it turns on when you start the car, you may not be to bad, but I'd religiously change it with redline every 5k miles or so and not wallyworld Mobil1.

Sorry, i was just wondering where you go in through. I guess the drain plug? Maybe its a good reason to get one of those "cameras on a stick" that they sell at home depot/harbor fright.

The oil light comes on at idle after 20 minutes on the highway to get the motor all hot. I got tired of being scared of the dinging so I unplugged the sensor (after putting a brand new one in of course, hoping it was just a faulty sensor).

It has one of those crap-rear end oil filter sandwich gauge that never goes below maybe 0.8 bar, but thats down at the bottom of the motor and the sensor is up at the top.

Im not sure whats going to be cheaper, pulling the motor now and doing the bearings before it goes completely, or just finding a long block later.

I also tryed to trade it in on something else, but they were going to give me $2500 and I had just paid $6.5k to buy it and bring it up into canada from the states. I figure I might be able to get a new motor for the 4k that I would be losing and end up with a car I like and somethign that will last.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

ssh posted:

Easiest place is the drain plug, yes. That's where I went. Since the dummy light goes off, you've got problems. I'd try to scope it and take a look; lord knows how much damage is already done.

You may as well just go for a colonoscopy; when they're done with the car they can shove it up your rear end. Welcome to our world.

The saab must have heard me talking about it so it spun its bearings and died.

I am now looking for a rebuilt motor, and does anyone have a guide for easy engine removal? The WIS suggests coming out through the bottom, but I don't have enough lift to get the motor out.

Im going to attempt the old take things apart until I can pull the motor out the top.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Method Loser posted:

I was going to say, sounds like your engine is in it's final stages of death, what with NO oil pressure (light) and metal in the oil. There's no way to get out of a situation involving these two symptoms without lots of new engine/rebuilding engine. Hoping that metal was just from the turbo was, well, optimistic. At best. Good luck, I guess.

Ya I figured this out when I found the metal in the oil, but that was after I had bought the car and brought it home across the border. I am stuck with this saab-shaped elephant now.

I would love to take the engine out of the bottom but I can't get the car up high enough. Tomorrow will tell I guess, Ill see how much I can take apart.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

blindjoe posted:

Ya I figured this out when I found the metal in the oil, but that was after I had bought the car and brought it home across the border. I am stuck with this saab-shaped elephant now.

I would love to take the engine out of the bottom but I can't get the car up high enough. Tomorrow will tell I guess, Ill see how much I can take apart.

Ok, the motor came out the top pretty easily. Took about 5 hours, and now its sitting on a tire in my garage. The hard part is finding something to replace it with. The local guys want $2500 for an engine that they won't warrenty if I install it myself, guys in the states want $2k for an engine I would have to ship somewhere, and then who knows if the warrenty is good if I install it myself.

Turns out people with normal cars have plenty of options, the rebuilders sell complete engines with 2 year warrenties, even if you install them yourself. If you own a saab however, you are poo poo out of luck. The local guy will rebuild it for me, he said $1300 labor plus parts, and his parts book doesn't list anything. I looked on line, and it looks like oversized pistons are $300 each, and everything else is just as rediculous.

I have no idea what to do at this point but hide in a closet and cry :sweden:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

stipud posted:

Do you have the 4 cyl? If so, you can use a short block off a '94+ Saab 9000, while using the 9-5 head and timing cover. Generally you can get a 9000 block for only a few hundred dollars, and they are far more robust than the 9-5 equivalent (forged pistons, etc). A lot of people swap to them after blowing their 9-5 bottom ends with big turbos.

Jssaab on Saabcentral just wrote a detailed thread about the parts needed for the swap:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182405

O wow, I have the B235 2.3. Guess I am on the prowl for a 9000 block now. Thanks!

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'll definitely be changing the oil regularly. According to its service book it had its oil + oil filter replaced in october last year, so I suppose it's about time again soon.

Drop the pan and clean out the sludge. My new motor hadn't been done, and it had tonnes of junk in the cone shaped pickup. Ill be dropping the pan again after another oil change to make sure its all gone.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The alarm in my 9-5 wagon also goes of once in a while, but only for a few seconds. I get service alarm on the SID almost every time I start the car. I pulled the alarm to replace the caps/batteries, but the caps have been done and the batteries read 3V. I resoldered the joints and put it back in. No change.

Any other suggestions, or do I have to pay to get a Tech2 scan done? Also, I believe they can turn off the shift up light off with the tech2, is that true?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

ssh posted:

You're still going to want to replace the batteries. I'd suggest you check for cold solders, but, you've already done this.

The good news is you can have your shift up light disabled when you get your system scanned. Except for it to be hooked up on life support for about 2-3 hours while diagnostics are completely run. If you want to save some time (and expense), make drat sure your battery is fully charged - it will NOT perform some tasks with a low battery. Might as well check to make sure you have the latest T-7 firmware, and if not, have them flash it while you're there.

Couple of hours? blarg.

Oh well, I guess a few hundred bux is better then the alarm going off once in a while.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190466

What I did this weekend: Fuel pump edition

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

ssh posted:

That's an absolutely awesome hack on the removal tool. Now you probably need to do a memory seat airbag repair. I haven't seen anything older than an '05 without this being broken. Cheap loving clips.

Well, thats 1 thing that my saab doesn't have wrong with it yet.

Also, it started up ok this morning, so I might have fixed something.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Viggen posted:

Yeah. It's drat trivial to fix, too. You just need to pull it out and replace the battery (need a <$10 soldering iron if you don't have one).

What year/model do you have again? I seem to remember a 1998-2003ish 9-5, but I don't remember. If so, Joe made a nice little howto.

Just so you know, I tried twice to fix mine, both with new caps and a battery pack of 4 AA lithiums. The alarm kept going off on its own (what will happen if you leave the STA long enough), so I got BBA to rebuild mine. It only cost $70 or something after shipping, and now I have no STA and no alarm going off in the middle of the night.

Supposedly the battery isn't the problem, or is the problem because you can't buy them, or something. I don't know, nor do I care anymore.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Viggen posted:

I assume that you did the math on the drain; I just don't see 4 AA liths holding for too long without being recharged. I've fixed one, and only one, but never had a problem with it (I turned chirp off to save minimal drain as well). Interesting to know, though. I used BBA to fix a SID for me, because I knew there was no way I was going to end up with a good result when I saw the ribbon half-shorn.

Well, they were those long lasting lithium aa's, not rechargables.

The CR17335se doesn't have the right discharge curve, all the guys who bought them had STA again in a few months. Hopefully you bought a few spares and like resoldering. Some people have had more success by just changing the caps and leaving the orginal batteris

I hate fixing poo poo more than a few times, so after two attempts I just sent it in and got my warrenty.

Ive got a spare now that was chopped open by the PO, then had a battery pack soldered in by me, then had the capacitors changed, and then had the wrong size caps soldered in by accident if anyone needs a book end or a place holder. The alarm part still works, but STA regardless. Maybe if someone needs a core?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I have to figure out where my power has gone. I have the girlfriends 9-5 today and I couldn't get it to do any burnouts.

Is the turbo needle supposed to go into the red? Mine sits at the edge of the yellow. I know it doesn't really mean anything, but it should reflect something, shouldn't it?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Viggen posted:

First of all, what year, and LPT or HOT?

It should crawl up to yellow, and back down again. Try this quick little test: Get it going very lightly after warmed up, then nearly floor it. See if it does anything, then.

I don't have a gauge on my LPT, but I could tell there was a leak by the lack-of-oomph when crawling uphill, and the lack of spool noise-and-feel.

If you can't get it to at least mid-yellow, I'd do a pressure test on it (or have it done), your o-rings may have become brittle and it could be sucking up air, the exhaust manifold studs may be loose, or old and brittle, and leaking exhaust.. there's a million little places for these suckers to lose pressure, I swear.

2002 9-5 linear.

The needle sits all the way through yellow and sits right at red.
It seems slow, but maybe I am expecting too much. It does have a mitsubishi turbo on it instead of the normal one, and it hasn't had a reflash or anything. I need to figure out how to get open sid, and buy an ecu so I can put the header on it.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Viggen posted:

Well, a TD04 with G17 logic ain't gonna do a hell of a lot. It's functioning as it's supposed to, and the dumb-boost gauge is saying you're getting proper pressure for the LPT, so, I'd start with that; you may still be low pressure, but, well, no poo poo - you sure are now. :haw:

Make sure you have PCV #6 installed, too. Look up part 55561200, here on eEuro. Pictures were posted earlier in this thread somewhere to identify if you have already had this done.

PCV #6 installed. I also swapped the engine, and done all maintenance that everyone says that needs to be done.

I'm keeping my spare engine just incase this one sludges up again or chews through another set of main bearings.

Any suggestions on the easiest/cheapest way to get reprogrammed?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Viggen posted:

On my 2K, CR17335SE is a direct match to what was in there.

CEL may just be a DI going south; any basic ODBII reader will give you this. Had similar issues w/ lights, but mine was the angled plastic cutting the wires, a common sedan issue.

I tried putting new batteries in, didn't work. Just got it rebuilt by the company on ebay (search first, there is a douche who doesn't do it right) and haven't had any problems.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Even if I provide the dealer with the vin number they can't make a key or order one?

With no keys, you have to be able to get into the car, take the TWICE/DICE unit out and get a new one. They are ~2k, if you can get one any more. Then you need to get the new units coded to the ecu.

The dealer can't and never could do anything once the keys were lost as the twice unit can't be recoded to keys without having one.

That would be an expensive car because not only do you need 2k worth of stuff just to start it, then you finally get it started and figure out why the owner "lost" the keys to begin with.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
My B235E also had a turbo gauge.
2002, had "LINEAR" on the door sills. Not an aero.

In mine, the turbo died and it ate all its oil. When the guy sold it to me, it had a new turbo, but would get oil light flickering after 30 minutes of driving, at low idle. This happened to me on my way home from buying it at the border lineup, 200 miles away.

When they do that, its the big end bearings, and its unfixable. No one has been able to put new bearings in and have the engine live. I replaced it with a wrecker engine and some relatives are still driving it today, this happened at 120k miles. It will need new shocks etc soon, at 170k miles.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I had one completely die because it cracked and all the oil leaked out. My wife tried to leave in the morning and the car was only running on 2-3 cylinders. Pulled the cassette out and there was oil on the spark plugs and white around the crack where the arcing was happening.
Put one in from eeuroparts and was away to the races.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

I've never seen a cracked 55559955 that wasn't overtorqued or dropped. Strange weather patterns or any other reason for it to just magically poof overnight? I'm not claiming that hasn't happened. I've just never SEEN that happen before.

Fake Edit Edit: Sweet jesus, I have part numbers memorized. It's time for counseling.

Cracked at the plug area, down the bottom. Ran ok for a few months then died.
It was a common(?) enough occurance on Saabcentral that I could find a thread about it.

Who knows, it could have been dropped during the engine swap, but it ran for months before it died.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
No idea, from my 2002 linear. don't think it was stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Service Theft Alarm is probably siren batteries, and capacitors in the siren.
I tried to fix it myself, but ended up getting some ebay rebuilder guy to do it.
I would suggest ebay rebuilder myself, as part of the problem was cutting into the housing to get at the guts probably broke it.

If the batteries die enough, then the siren will go off to tell you. Usually in the middle of the night, and you can't stop it until you unplug the siren. Its many minutes to get behind the fender liner.