Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

The fiancée has a 2004 9-3 Aero with a problem. If you get heavy into the throttle at low revs it starts, what feels like, misfiring. It stumbles quite a bit and the CEL flashes for a few seconds afterward. I picked up new plugs since that is the cheapest possible fix right now. If it ends up being coil pack related, what is the best way to find the bad pack? I know I can swap a new one in every position but that may be too time consuming as this problem is sporadic. Is this something that an OBDII scanner can diagnose?

*ETA* New plugs did not solve the problem.

bung fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Captain Crunk posted:

For the 2004 Aero I am 90% sure it's the DIC, try and find another one to swap/test with if you can. Could also be the CPS, but usually the car will run rough hot and not start until it cools down in that case.

It has individual coils for each plug. Would investing in a CAN OBDII reader be a bad idea for the Saab? I can use it for the Subaru but I still have 2 years of warranty for the WRX.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I can't seem to find a service manual for the 04 9-3. I've asked in another thread here in AI and I was told that the Haynes manual is worthless. Has anyone used the Mitchell 1 DIY service subscription? Is it worth the price?

bung fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 3, 2010

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I think I may have found the source of the misfire. The code scanner showed a P0302, misfire on #2. To determine if it was actually the coil, I moved it to all of the other cylinders to see if it still missed. It did but didn't ever generate a CEL. I'll have a new coil tomorrow and I hope it fixes this problem.

Next is replacement of the rear rotors and pads which have almost no friction material left. After that will be new suspension. :smith:

bung
Dec 14, 2004

The new coil for cylinder 2 fixed my misfire.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

My wife has a 2004 9-3 Aero and I haven't had any luck finding a service manual. A local guy who works on Swedish cars told me that I could use a manual for the GM Ecotec 2 liter. Does this sound like a good route to take?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I need a recommendation for an online source for an ignition coil for an 04 9-3 Aero. This will be the 3rd coil to go bad in the last two years.No one has them locally for less than $150. And I can't remember who I ordered from the last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Thanks keykey. I had forgotten about Rock Auto.