Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
Holy crap, I've never seen a 9000 of that era that wasn't beat to poo poo by now. I've heard many say that the seats in those cars are some of the best ever made.

Just don't ever drive a turbo, you'll be addicted. I test-drove a 2000 9-5 Aero with the B234 and broke the tires looks in 3rd gear.

Obligatory since it's a SAAB thread: I drive a 2001 9-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

n8r posted:

Since people are in here talking about Saabs, can anyone give me a list of things to watch for on my 2000 93 SE. I bought it for my wife and she is in love with the car. It has 100k miles on it and overall is in good shape for a 10 year old car. I just use mobil 1 high mileage and haven't had to do much work of note on the car.

A lot of it has been mentioned throughout this thread. Be sure to look for any signs of sludging, these engines were somewhat notorious for that, my friend's 2000 9-3 blew the engine at 80k miles because of sludge. If it hasn't yet, the DIC will probably die soon. Costs 300 bucks and takes all of 5 minutes to replace. The SID will suffer from cancer (i.e. pixels start to disappear). I'm not sure what else are major failure points of these cars. I've had a pretty positive experience with mine, the fuel pump dying was the only major hassle I've had with it. Other than the aforementioned fuel pump, and a wheel bearing, I've only replaced wear items on it and changed the oil regularly.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
Sonetts are loving beautiful, but I don't think I've ever seen one in real life. That's what I get for living in the Midwest. I would love to have one with the B235 Viggen motor shoehorned in.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
I saw a Turbo X at my Saab dealership, and if I remember correctly, the price was north of 40 grand. But with Saab's legendary depreciation, it probably costs about 47 cents now.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
I have a 2001 9-3. Recently had the serp belt replaced, and they told me that the front main seal was leaking some oil. Apparently not leaking enough to leave any sort of spot on the ground though. Is this worth fixing? The car has 127k miles, and I hopefully plan on getting a new car in the next year or two. Is this a job worth doing on a car that is only worth ~2000 dollars?

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
I found some ones I liked on Ebay, I don't think they're ugly :colbert:

edit: ASA JH8s are the model.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Lately I've noticed a rapidly pulsing wobble sound from the front right wheel (I think) of my 2k 9-3. It only appears when I'm going 55 mph or above, and the steering wheel tends to vibrate a bit when accelerating above those speeds. I've been driving around on a lot of badly paved roads filled with ice potholes this winter which has knocked the car around quite a bit, so would I be correct in thinking that I need a wheel alignment?

Check your wheel bearing on that side too. When mine started to go, the wheel would shake a bit in a left turn (right wheel bearing).

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
Well, I'm pissed. Here's a word of advice: never let anyone else drive your car unless you are sitting in the passenger seat and trust them.

I took my 9-3 to a car detail place, one of those places where they run it through a machine wash, then dry, polish, and detail it by hand. Apparently the poo poo-for-brains fuckmonkeys at the car wash couldn't figure out how to get my car into reverse, so they just forced the shifter until the lockout gate broke off and they could shift it. If I had noticed this at the time I would have ripped them a new one.

I pulled up the shifter boot today and retrieved the broken plastic gate. How easy is this to fix? I could probably just superglue it back into place, but is the job easy enough to do the right way?

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
My 2001 9-3 with 137,000 miles is starting to burn a significant amount of oil at start-up, but otherwise doesn't consume an abnormal amount of oil when running (Less than 1qt between oil changes). Am I looking at a turbo rebuild, or is there another cause of this?

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

Viggen posted:

It's usually the turbo. Do you get the puff of white smoke at startup?

It started out as a puff quite a while back, now it's a concerningly large cloud of bluish-white smoke.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

Bitcoin Billionaire posted:

So is my 08 9-3 going to be worthless now? It has ~35k miles, and I'd really like to get rid of it. Was thinking 3000GT.

This couldn't happen at a worse time. I'm trying to sell my '01 9-3 right now.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

ACEofsnett posted:

I've decided not to part out my Ng900 convertible, I'm simply going to sell it.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2802169223.html

$500 to goons. As the ad says, it spun a bearing. Also as the ad says, the forge wastegate actuator, the intake I built for it and the lovely ebay blow off valve are included. The horrible aftermarket exhaust that looks like it was attached in a dark driveway with an arc welder is also yours for the taking.

As long as we're posting CL links, I'm selling my 01 9-3. I dunno if any of you goons live anywhere close though.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/2799857769.html

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

EvellSnoats posted:

Well I have taken about a year and sorted out all my issues with my 98 Volvo V70XC. My son's 98 BMW 540i is starting to give death rattle noises and lights up like a Christmas tree. I am thinking about a SAAB to have around as an extra I can screw with so I can kind of rotate different cars while I mess with them. My wife will probably need something new before long, she has a 2002 Suburban in pretty good shape but 147k miles. None of us has long commutes.

I am addicted to working on older European cars, sick I know, but it keeps me out of trouble to some degree. SAABs are hard to come by in the South, would prefer an even older classic 900. Buying anything from where you guys salt your roads scares me to death. What should I offer for this one?

I see you're looking in northern Mississippi. I'm selling my 01 9-3 with less miles than that on it, better interior, and no CEL. Email me petekill at gmail if you want more info. Located in Little Rock.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/2808552494.html

I would PM you if I had them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

Handsome Rob posted:

So I went out to eat tonight and decided to trust the valet with my 5-speed 2001 9-3. Wrong decision, as he apparently broke the reverse lockout gate. I can shift into reverse without pulling up on the shifter ring, but can't shift if I do pull up. Didn't notice until I got home and tried to park. While I deal with bitching out the restaurant about this, does anyone know how tough a fix this is?

I feel your pain, some monkey at a carwash broke the lockout in my 93. I never got around to finding a solution, I ended up selling the car a couple months later.

And buying a Nissan with a broken lockout. On a 6 speed, the lockout is much more important. 5th and 6th gears can be a bitch to find without the gate in place.