Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

When my turbo eventually dies in my 9-3 (1999) If I put in one of those mitsu turbos, will I get a boost in hp or should I stick with the same old one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Does anyone know where I could get some information on how the wind shield squirter tubes are set up in a 9-3? When they repaired my car they left them all unplugged and driving around in this salty iced road poo poo is making my windshield white.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Mike_P posted:

Since the Saab aficionados are out, is there any major reason not to buy something like this?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/1540102019.html (2002 Saab 9-3)
I'm looking for a new daily driver and I like the quirky design. I can't drive stick so I'll be looking at automatics, are they solid enough? When does the turbo need a rebuild? Looking to spend around $5k.

the SE is wicked fast, turbo v6. I have a 1999 but they're practically the same car. For 5k that is a steal, but of course check it out first.

I could be wrong but they generally die around 70-80k. At least thats when my mom and my dad's died.

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 7, 2010

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

kimbo305 posted:

Both your car and the listing are turbo 4s. The V6 didn't come out til 2005.

well i just have the 2.0 model, so yeah i have an i4 turbo. I just double checked and you're right. I could have sworn at least the viggen had a v6.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Nuclear Tourist posted:

So yeah, today I downed enough ritalin to work myself up into buying this:

There some minor things wrong with it though. The trip computer and climate control displays are dead and dying respectively (are those even fixable?), one of the panels in the passenger's side door is loose and I'm pretty sure the air conditioning needs a refill. Everything else appears to be working as far as I can tell, so all in all it seems to be in pretty good shape.

Your car looks awesome, congratulations. If you're talking about the thing at the top of the center dash that has all the information on gas, temp, etc, that thing is called the Saab Information Display(SID). They break like no other. There are a few guides on the internet on how to fix them if you just google. I tried to do it on mine and wasn't too succesful, but I know there are people who will get it working just fine for around 100 bucks on Ebay.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Thanks! And yes, that's exactly the thing that's dead. Per your recommendation I just did a search for it on ebay and saw this place which offers to fix the thing and send it back to you, as long as you're willing to rip it out of your dashboard yourself: link

Very tempting I must say, would be swell to have at least one of those displays fully functional. I think I'll go out tomorrow and see if it's possible to gingerly pry it out with a thin little nail file or something. What kind of implement did you use to remove the unit from the dash?

I just remember using something very thin and just slowly wiggling it so that the unit just barely popped out, then pulling it out from there.

http://www.saab9-5.com/howto/sidrepair.htm

Here is a site on how to fix it if you wanna give it a try yourself before sending it off. When I did it, it only fixed the time on the left side, but mine isn't too bad. Also, while it does say it's for the 9-5, they're practically the same thing.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Isn't their an awd sportcombi in the form of that black 9-3 aero special edition thing they released a year ago? I mean there is probably only like 300 of them but they do exist. Also the 9-3x is coming out soon supposedly.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

This probably isn't necessarily a Saab issue, but mind as well ask.

My 1999 Saab 9-3 seems to be having some problems with third gear. Every once and a while, when I pop it into third, I hear what sounds like gears crunching for about a half second. My dad thinks it's the synchronizer starting to die. Is that probable? Anyone else have this issue?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

InitialDave posted:

Is it just when you shift quickly - is it ok if you do a very deliberate out-neutral-in shift? Sounds like a synchromesh on its way out, yeah. A good choice of gearbox oil can alleviate a lot of it, but it depends what those boxes like.

Yeah, if I do it slowly it pretty much never does it.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Haha, your logo is silver as well. Someone has got to sell those - I hate that mine is worn away.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Posted this in the stupid questions thread, but might as well post here because Saabs are pretty quirky.

quote:

I have a 1999 Saab 9-3. Whenever I drive at speeds exceeding around 50 mph, I begin to hear a really loud flow of air. The sound seems to be coming from the left side of the car, at the top of the driver's window. It basically sounds like the window is cracked open.

All of the weather stripping is fine, and I can't seem to find anything else that could be causing this issue. Anyone got any suggestions?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Well I got a big boy job, so I'm now very interested in selling my 1999 Saab 9-3 base with 82k miles on it and purchasing a c900. I found this one locally:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/2555924647.html

From the pictures she sent me, everything looks fine on the exterior. No images of the interior. Only problem is she want $5,000 which seems insane to me. Headliner is sagging. What do you guys think I should offer?

Also, I want to sell my current car. There are no mechanical issues, everything works just fine. Blue book says it's worth 2,100 in fair condition which seems low to me. It's a little beat up on the outside; the front bumper has a big dent in it and there are scratches from the usual use a car sees in 12 years. I was thinking of putting it up for $3,000, does that sound reasonable?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I would appreciate that greatly. Let me know what you find out.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Sorry for the double post.

I just got my SID in the mail, and I tried simply taking the old one out and putting the new one in. Unfortunately when I turned my car back on, the display shows nothing except for what looks like a colon where the time would be. Other then that it is blank.

Do I need to program it or anything? Did I receive a bunk unit?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Anybody know a good Saab mechanic near Boston?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I need to get the suspension mount,o2 sensor, antenna(it no longer rises when I turn on the car), brake pads, and tires replaced. Brake pads and tires I was just going to go to NTB place on Mass Ave in Cambridge. I've already purchased the mount and the o2 sensor, and I replaced the SID myself(not exactly the most difficult thing in the world). I'd do most of this myself but have no time.

I also ran into a 90 degree angle directly in the center of my front bumper, which made the two sides of the bumper sort of pop out right in front of the front wheel wells. I'm trying to sell my car, and I'm not sure how easy/expensive this would be fix or if it's even worth fixing.

And finally some guy backed into my driver side door and left a small dent that has no hard edges. Should I just remove the interior door panel and try to punch the dent back out?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

So I went and checked out the red 1987 900S coupe. It had no rust anywhere, the engine seemed strong, and the paint was in great condition for 24 years old. Also had brand new tires and what felt like new brakes/rotors. It also had the factory toolkit in the back, which they both seemed very excited about. Wasn't sure if that was worth being excited over. No cracks in the dash, clutch seemed fine. Sun roof was still working tremendously, which amazed me. It was also one owner before these people owned it, and they said they basically never drove it since they bought it.

I saw the following issues:

AC unit was either out of the car, or broken. They told me when the mechanic was putting the battery back in he accidentally cut some piping.

Headliner and cloth on doors was completely hosed, falling off all over the place.

Equalizer seemed to be dead, and the radio needed to have it's code put in. I'm assuming this had to do with the battery being removed.

134,000 miles :( This is the main bad point for me.

Driver side window motor seemed to be dying. Rolling it up was very slow and it seemed to be struggling.

They want $5,000 for it which is obviously insane. They were a very nice couple though, so I don't want to completely low ball them at $3,500. Should I stay away and continue my search elsewhere?

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 26, 2011

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

That was a typo, it is a turbo. This is the ad:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/2607839076.html

I'm looking for a pre-1994 manual turbo, and this car has been the closest one I've found to fitting that bill and not having any rust.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

My dash lights died last week. The SID and the little screen showing my mileage are still lit up, but everything else, including the radio and AC stuff are unlit.

I'm assuming this is a fuse issue, but wanted to run it by this thread, before I went out and bought the fuse.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I cracked the head gasket(plus whatever else exploded) on my 1999 9-3 in the 93 tunnel under Boston. A coolant hose had a giant hole in it, and I guess it all left the engine fairly quickly. It only had 94k miles, but I'm assuming my car probably isn't worth fixing. I got a quote for roughly $1300 for just the head gasket which makes me think my only option is scrapping it. Is that the case?

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 23, 2012

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Might be purchasing this soon:

http://vwmedford.com/Vehicle_Details/desc/Used_Saab_9-3__/vehicleID/722876

Seems like a pretty good deal to me, I know nothing about the V6 engine, but it sounds pretty alright. Anything I should know?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Viggen posted:

Its basically just GM's High Perf V6 (aka LP9).

1) They're wedged in so goddamn tight that you can't even get light into areas you'll need to get to.

2) They love to eat ignition coils; after wasting money and many hours, many folks have 'upgraded' by sticking the Caddy coils on (XRef: ACDelco part D501C). I have one coil setting a DTC every few thousand miles, but I haven't bothered to replace it, yet. :effort:

3) Whatever you do, don't test drive a Turbo X, or you wont be happy with that perfectly cromulent 9-3. :q:

That price seems a bit high to me, but you East Coasters are as SAABspensive as the Northwest.

e: i r gramr nazi

There is a Turbo X nearby, but it has 75k miles and is at a vaguely shady dealership. I'd love to find a 9-3X, but they seem very rare. I'm going to try to talk them down to 12k, and if I can't I'll probably pass.

Thanks for the info on the ignition coils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Going to check this out, if the owner gets back to me:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/4909979993.html

anything I should know when looking it over?