Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logan21
Dec 7, 2005

I Am Logan...
Hey All

Figured I would write a Australia megathread since I probably see a Moving to/Holidaying in/Living in Australia post at least every other week and makes sense to have one thread for all the information.

I will cover in some detail, what to do when your in Australia, Different Visa's, ways to travel, and other information such as rental prices and general cost of living and poo poo like that.

My background, I moved from the UK to Sydney 3 years ago and had been on holidays out here prior to that in 2005.

Ok so you have decided that you want to come to Australia to live/work/play for a period of time.

Visa

There are quite a lot of different visa's you can get to enter Australia, I wont cover them all but I will give a overview on the most common.

Holiday Visa

The most basic visa, gives you a 90 day stay in the country with no right to work, your able to travel around and poo poo like that.

Working Holiday Visa - 417

This is the most common visa used by young people to stay in Australia and work for a period of time. This visa gives you one year to stay in Australia and you are allowed to work for any company for a maximum of 6 months. You can also get a extension to this visa if you do 3 months work in a rural area doing something like fruit picking, working on a farm or something like that.

The extension is based on a postcode system, so you provide the details of your employer and they check it out and the extension is granted. The extension gets you another one year. The system can be cheated, for example they dont check every application and I have heard of people just pulling a farm information of the net and submitting it to get the extension, however if they check and are found out, they will kick you out of the country, so I cant endorse that.

You are also allowed multiple entries under this visa.

You also need to be under 30 as well and have a certain amount of money for you to use/support yourself, I think its around the 2000 GBP or $4000 or something to that effect.

I think there is a different visa for US citizens which revolves around the same thing, however I dont think it lasts as long and you have to studying as I understand.

Employer Sponsored Visa

My current visa, this is basically a employer sponsored visa that allows you to stay for up to 4 years in Australia. I wouldnt call these easy to get anymore, they used to be however now not so much.

The long and short of it, is your company will sponsor you to work here in a certain role, once the visa is approved they are responsible for you. Your employer has to prove that an Australian cant do your job and that your skillset is needed for the company to run. The restrictions are as follows, you can only work for the company that sponsor you, the company effectively hold your visa, so if you get made redundant or lose your job you have 30 days to get out of the country or get a new visa of some sort. You also cant change jobs unless you find a company that is willing to sponsor you.

Most big companies will sponsor, however you do have to have a marketable skill, if you are a Uni Grad and not got any work experience, you are not going to get sponsored. Simple as that. If you are a Accountant, work in IT or Financial Services, Nursing, Dental, Doctor etc you can get sponsored fairly easily.

You also get something called Living Away from Home Allowance, however I wont go into that as its pretty complicated.

Skilled Migrant Visa

There are a number of different skilled migrant visa's. This visa entitles you to Permenant Residency in Australia. To be eligable you have to obtain a certain amount of points and your job has to fall into one of the catagories that are under the skills shortage banner issued by Dept of Immigration. So if your a teacher, doctor, nurse, IT professional, Accountant etc you maybe eligable. You obtain points depending on how old you are, your degree, how many years experience, what language you speak etc.

Once you have the points you can apply and your skills will be measured to see if you fit the criteria. The application can be made both onshore or offshore.

General Visa Information

If you dont have a marketable skill, dont bother trying to get a sponsored visa or skilled migrant visa. It wont happen. All the Visa's cost anything from $200 to $5000 depending on the visa.

Visa Information can be found here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/

Getting a Job

I am gonna pre face this, if your going to stay for more than a year and not be a backpacker you wont get a job unless you can speak good english. There are to many people in this country that have marketable skills but their communication skills are so bad that they wont get a job. So if you cant speak properly, dont even loving bother.

Most backpackers try and find bar work or end up doing sales/charity work trying to get people to sign up. If you have some half decent skills and dont mind doing office work this can be better paying and a bit easier as well. I first got a job out here working for a Financial Services company doing call centre work and got $40 p/h which is a pretty good rate for a backpacker and although boring much more rewarding than doing commission based sales.

Register with some of the big recruitment companies like Randstad, Hays, Robert Walters etc and you should be able to get work.

Job Websites include:

https://www.seek.com.au
https://www.careerone.com.au
http://jobsearch.gov.au/default.aspx

Salaries depends on what you do, I would say in general you dont want to be accepting anything lower than $50k + Super. If your 10 years + and worked for an Investment Bank and are manager level then you would be aiming for $100k +.

To work your gonna need a Tax File Number which can be obtained here:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/38760.htm

a Bank account which any of the big banks can provide, however I would recommend either NAB or St George:

http://www.nab.com.au/
http://www.stgeorge.com.au/

Cause they dont charge fees, have the most ATM's and their customer service is pretty good.

Holidaying

There is heaps of information that I can cover in this section so not going to cover all, but will try and cover some of the main points of things to do in general.

International Flights, the main players on the Kangaroo Route from UK/Europe are Qantas/British Airways/Singapore Air and they go via Singapore. You can also fly with Cathay via Hong Kong, Emirates via Dubai or Thai Air via Bangkok. If your coming from the UK/Europe your looking at 24 hours of flying and unless you can afford business class, in cattle class. I always fly Singapore Air, although not the cheapest their service is first class, new planes with good inflight entertainment.

If your coming from the US, Delta, V Australia, Qantas, United and Air NZ are your options. There is a massive price way going on, on that route at the moment, so fares of $1000AUD return including taxes can be found. From LAX your looking at a 13 hours or so in the air.

Most airlines fly to the main cities, including Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane.

You will need a passport.

Dont underestimate the distances between things, to drive from Sydney to Melbourne takes 12 hours.

Virgin Blue, Jetstar and Tiger are the budget airlines, with cheapish rtn fares. E.g. Syd to Melb one way about $70AUD.

For backpackers you can obtain Greyhound passes that will take you all over the country.

Usefull websites for backpackers:

http://www.statravel.com.au/
http://www.hostelworld.com/
http://www.yha.com.au

Cities and Things to Do

Sydney

Lots to do here, Harbor Bridge Climb, Opera House, Sydney Tower, Taroonga Zoo, Northen Beaches for fantastic beaches, Manly to Spit Walk, Whale Watching (Seasonal) Cruise Round the Harbor, Darling Harbor.

Melbourne

Australian Tennis Open in Jan, Eureka Tower, Fed Square, MCG, Yarra Valley. Sure there is more but cant think at the moment.

I cant comment about the other state cities, but sure there is heaps to do.

Other things that you must/should do if your on holiday here:

Great Ocean Road and 12 Apostles
Grampians
Whitesuundays
Uluru (Ayres Rock)
Great Barrier Reef
Fraser Island
Byron Bay

List is endless but those are some of the main ones.

Tourism Australia website is gonna help you as well

http://www.australia.com/index.aspx

Living and Renting

I have only lived in Sydney, so cant comment for other cities, however renting can be pretty expensive. A nice 2 bed apartment in the suburbs is gonna set you back $500 per week roughly. You can find more expensive places or cheaper and if your on your own normally you can rent a room for roughly $200-300 a week for a nice house.

Websites to look for places:

https://www.domain.com.au
https://www.realestate.com.au
http://www.flatmatefinders.com.au/
https://www.gumtree.com.au

You will pay a premium for living near the beach and when renting i urge you to check what the public transport situation is, i.e near a main road, train station etc.

https://www.131500.com.au is gonna help you out there.

For the love of christ dont do what every english person does and move to Bondi, there are better beaches on the North Shore which are cleaner, nicer, not over crowded and you will find better housing there as well.

Just remembered something about renting places as well, you will probably see rooms for rent, smack in the CBD for silly prices like $150 p/w. Basically you will be sharing a room, probably with a asian student that cant speak english and its not what it seems. Not to mention its illegal.

Normally the landlord sets up bunk beds and crams in as many people as possible.

Cost of Living

It can get pretty pricy hear, if you actually want to enjoy yourself I recommend budgetting $300-400 a week. Food can be expensive, steaks for example can be $20 for two decent steaks that you will cook at home. Going out drinking is expensive and you will easily do $100 in a night without problems and then some more as well.

Petrol is currently $1.27 per litre.

Parking in the city, your looking at $40 or 50 a pay unless you get a special rate. Public transport is cheapish with a weekly bus/train/ferry ticket costing about $40 depending on the distance.

If your not making lunches for work, your looking at $10 a day for a sandwich or something decent.

Clothing can be expensive as well. Decent jeans can be $150-200 a pair.

Other Things to Consider

In summer it gets hot, last week was 41c, it was 36c as well. We get bushfires, big ones. Dont worry about all the deadly animals, I have been here for 3 years and not even seen a snake or shark. In winter it can get down to 5c in Sydney which when the houses dont have any central heating and thin walls can be cold. The houses are made to keep heat out not in.

Australia is miles away from anywhere, for me to get home I have to fly 24 hours, none of my family are here and its expensive as well so if you get home sick easy I suggest you think long and hard about moving here.

Time difference is 9 or 11 hours on GMT depending on the season.

I am sure I have missed something, people can add to this thread with information about other cities or ask questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Logan21 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
We dont have any jobs here, you are more than welcome to come here and spend money though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just to lend my experiences, from other aus threads:

quote:

I'm over here right now from canada, came here end of oct, i can offer some tips.

-Go there not expecting to find work, it can be tough, so worst case scenario you should be able to support yourself for the length of your stay.
-book hostels well in advance, especially in the busy season.(dec-feb)
-yha.com.au get a membership, it costs 32 for the year ,and will save you between $2 and $10/night, they have hostels everywhere, and are incredibly helpful for getting information on things to do and places to go, and a good place to meet people. it costs between $20-40 a night, internet is stupidly expensive on top of that. most of the places have some sort of cafe or bar in them.
-if you want to take a tour up the coast through ozexperience or the like, book it now.
-most hostels have job/rideshare/vehicle boards, but jobs are usually 1-2 day poo poo helping people move and the like
-seek.com.au and jobsearch.gov.au for jobs
-everything is more expensive. the actual exchange is about 0.9:1, the practical exchange is about 0.5:1 a meal that costs $10 in the US will cost $20 in australia.
-it can get very hot. I'm in adelaide right now, and a couple days ago it was 43*C(about 109*F)

i've been to sydney, melbourne, adelaide, next week i'm flying to brisbane for 5 days, gold coast for 4 days, sydney for 5 days, then back to canada to do something more productive. It's been fun so far, but incredibly expensive, you need to prepare yourself for that.

quote:

I tried in Melbourne which is as far south as you can go, but it's just too drat big to settle down in without some serious cash. The city is like 75km wide, and even travelling 9km to look at an apartment took 50 minutes through the public transit system. a shared room is about 150/week. own bedroom in a flat share 200/week an hour+ away from downtown. 300/week anywhere close to downtown. Adelaide is further west, where i am now, and the job prospects are fairly slim. Unless you have a marketable skill(mine is driving, in canada i can drive anything but a motorcycle) that you can put to use, you're going to have trouble getting anything other than temporary/casual work. Perth out on the wast coast might have options, but that's a ways out. The place i'm staying in Adeliade is 125/week is about 4k from downtown and about 6k from the beach.

There are a lot of mines around adeliade, and south australia, but a number of them have had some major layoffs, so there's a lot of experienced competition for any open positions. Adelaide itself is somewhat depressing, around where i am there are a lot of companys out of business, the south side of downtown is somewhat rundown with a couple abandoned buildings and such.

I applied for a lot of IT stuff, having a backround and provable experience in it, but without a degree i might as well have been computer illiterate. driving is out, as nobody will insure me, being not only trained and licenced in another country, but being under 25. there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of general labour available.

Getting around australia can either be somewhat pricey or incredibly tedious. flights between cities are between $120-$150, busses are between 60-80, and take 10+ hours.

In the hostels, internet is either 0.75-$1/15 minutes, $15/day, $30/3 days, or $50/7 days, is basically dial-up speeds, and you will pretty much need it. to plan routes on the public transit, plane tickets, job hunting, apartment hunting. A week in sydney central YHA with internet is $309, and you still have to feed yourself. you can burn through $2000/month pretty easy just sitting around. there are always tours and stuff to go on, but once again, $$$.

Sydney is awesome, but drat expensive. the train from the airport to the city costs $15. they have the worlds biggest imax in darling harbour, but tickets are like $30/person. going to the top of sydney tower was like $25. the little stuff can hack away at your finances pretty quick. I stayed at Sydney central YHA when i first got there, it's on the south end of downtown, you can walk to pretty much everything. When i go back i'll be staying at YHA the rocks, right along sydney harbour, which is supposed to be pretty awesome.

Melbourne is less touristy, but still has tons of stuff to do. the aquarium, eureka tower, maritime museum, tons of bars, like 800 asian food places downtown. the melbourne central YHA is awesome, right on the corner of downtown, close to everything. there's a bar on the ground floor with $10 pitchers of beer(an awesome deal, trust me), and $5 pizzas monday-thursday. the melbourne metro YHA is also awesome, you can see all of downtown from the roof. it's a little further out, but if you ever figure out melbournes public tranist, you'll be able to find your way around.

Adeliade is smaller, a little slower paced. melbourne and sydney are about 4 million people each, adelaide is about 1 million people. far less tourists than melbourne or sydney. cheaper housing and food and such, fewer job prospects, but less of a chance the job will be 3 hours away on public transit.

i'll be going to brisbane and gold coast, and back to sydney for a bit, and will be able to give you a better idea of what those areas are like then.

edit: also, the flight over is a bitch, 14.5 hours from LA, i flew from calgary, i left at 11am tuesday, and got there 7am thursday. being 6'9 the flights were uncomfortable as hell too. This time of year you can almost gaurantee you're getting off a flight that long with a cold as well. the flight back is awesome though, as i will be TRAVELING BACK IN TIME! well not really. the plane leaves here at 3pm, and gets to LA at 9am the same day. they will serve lunch then breakfast. in fact, i get to calgary at 4pm the same day after almost 19 hours in planes/airports.

Also, you should add http://jobsearch.gov.au/default.aspx to the OP under jobs.

Farmidillo
Feb 11, 2006
Ofcourse Adelaide would seem depressing if you were on the south side of Adelaide.

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice
My girlfriend and I are going to vacation in Australia for two weeks over Christmas and we are looking for rental car options. We are flying into Sydney and have non-Australian drivers licenses and are looking for a car with the following options:
  1. Unlimited mileage or lots of km per day (we'll be driving up to Brisbane or a little further).
  2. Ability to add an additional driver (we'll share the driving).
  3. Pick up and drop off at Sydney airport or at least transportation to and from the rental lot.
I've looked at Bayswater Car Rental and Airport Rent a Car but am looking for any recommendations out there.

Also while we'll spend Christmas near Byron Bay (I believe) with friends and are currently looking through Lonely Planet guides for things to do in Sydney and on the coast on the way up to Byron Bay I'd appreciate any recommendations on things to do. In particular I'd be interested in a very nice restaurant in Sydney or along the way to treat my girlfriend at--when I had business in Sydney years ago I liked The Summit restaurant but anything so long as they have a fish or chicken option (she doesn't eat red meat, I do).

Thanks!

superwofl
Apr 22, 2008
I don't have any experience or know what they offer, but my Dad has rented cars a few times and he said Bayswater car rentals were really cheap.

But you're picking up and dropping it back off at Sydney? With just 2 weeks I'd pick up in Sydney, drop off in Brisbane and fly back to Sydney.

Logan21
Dec 7, 2005

I Am Logan...
Car rental, depends on where you want to drop it off. Sydney or Brisbane?

If your dropping it at Brisbane your going to need someone like Hertz or someone like that. I think Hertz are pretty good because their insurance waiver means you pay 0 excess if something was to happen. Most car rental companies you still have a excess of $300 even if you pay the excess reduction.

Bayswater are good and cheap if your coming back to Sydney.

As for Restaurents, try any of the following: Cafe Sydney, Aria, Rockpool, Spice Temple, Meat and Wine Co and Hurricanes.

All of them are excellent, Meat and Wine and Hurricanes are steak places but they do vege/chicken/seafood. Aria is excellent, but a 3 course meal including wine, your looking at $500 for a couple.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Mr_Angry posted:

In particular I'd be interested in a very nice restaurant in Sydney or along the way to treat my girlfriend at--when I had business in Sydney years ago I liked The Summit restaurant but anything so long as they have a fish or chicken option (she doesn't eat red meat, I do).

Sydney has some truly world class restaurants, just depends on how much you're willing to spend - any of these you should expect $100-$150 per head minimum.

Aria
Quay
Rockpool
Rockpool Bar & Grill
Est
Icebergs
Longrain
Marque
Wildfire

brendanwor fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 18, 2009

randominfoguy
Dec 18, 2009

:confused:
There are twice as many kangaroos in Australia as there are people. The kangaroo population is estimated at about 40 million.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

brendanwor posted:

Sydney has some truly world class restaurants, just depends on how much you're willing to spend - any of these you should expect $100-$150 per head minimum.

Tetsuya's?

Aliass
Dec 25, 2008
Brisbane is a nice play to stay and live , but as a tourist its best used as a base for visiting stuff. We have great beaches, rain forests, and all manner of other cool poo poo to see within 1-4 hours drive. Its also alot cheaper to live in Brisbane but it isn't nearly as metropolitan as Sydney or Melbourne (thank gently caress.)

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

SonicDefiance posted:

Tetsuya's?

Tetsuya's too, as long as you have the foresight to book at least 2-3 months in advance like everyone else, otherwise you won't get a table.

Logan21
Dec 7, 2005

I Am Logan...
Another thing that has come to my attention following me getting rear end raped by NSW Police Force for almost $1000 in fines on Sat morning, is that if your a PR and entering the country you will need to change your drivers license over after 3 months.

Basically I got caught doing 120 km/h in a 100 km/h limit, I can accept that, however that was the least of my problems, because I was on my UK license they also wrote me a ticket for Never Holding a License as well.

I think I can get out of it cause I am not a PR, however something for people to be aware of for sure.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Aliass posted:

Brisbane is a nice play to stay and live , but as a tourist its best used as a base for visiting stuff. We have great beaches, rain forests, and all manner of other cool poo poo to see within 1-4 hours drive. Its also alot cheaper to live in Brisbane but it isn't nearly as metropolitan as Sydney or Melbourne (thank gently caress.)

What is rent like in Brisbane?
Depending on my finances I may be moving there for about 12 months for school. As an international student, on-campus residence would cost me AUD$12,000 for the year. I'm sure I could halve that living off-campus with roommates.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

SpaceMost posted:

What is rent like in Brisbane?
Depending on my finances I may be moving there for about 12 months for school. As an international student, on-campus residence would cost me AUD$12,000 for the year. I'm sure I could halve that living off-campus with roommates.

It's not too hard to find a place for $100-$120 a week.

Here's a search I just ran on https://www.realestate.com.au for a bunch of southside suburbs.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
So I have been approved for a Skilled Migrant visa for IT work. There seems to be a good number of IT jobs available in Australia right now. I don't know if I am ready to move there and stay for a long period of time. I noticed you can do a summer job working on a cattle ranch though. Can anyone comment on that? I figured it would be pretty exciting and tough work and maybe give me a feel for Australian culture a little bit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Logan21 posted:

Another thing that has come to my attention following me getting rear end raped by NSW Police Force for almost $1000 in fines on Sat morning, is that if your a PR and entering the country you will need to change your drivers license over after 3 months.

Basically I got caught doing 120 km/h in a 100 km/h limit, I can accept that, however that was the least of my problems, because I was on my UK license they also wrote me a ticket for Never Holding a License as well.

I think I can get out of it cause I am not a PR, however something for people to be aware of for sure.

I'm about 99% sure that even if you're not a PR you need to change your drivers license after 3 months anyways. I had to and I'm still a temporary resident.

edit: that might be for Queensland only, I'm not sure about NSW. Sorry, I need to read more.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 27, 2009

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th
I’m also from the UK and looking to relocate to Sydney. I actually just came back from a 5 week holiday where I saw pretty much allthe major places apart from Canberra (Cairns, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney).

I’m going to get an internal transfer with my current work and this will likely be on a 457 Sponsored Visa. I can begin a 175 (resident) Visa once I get there if I want.

With regards to accommodation I was thinking of getting an apartment right in the Sydney CDB or North Shore CBD. This means I’ll be close to work and won’t have a long commute every day. Will look for anything up to $600-700 – I can go pretty high because I intend on claiming LAFHA (Living away from home allowance) which means my rent is basically tax-free. Appreciate any info about LAFHA Logan, I know I need to make sure I get it up front as part of my contract.

I’m starting to research the things I need to have ready – Bank account, etc. Any advice appreciated.

What’s the deals with cars out there? Appears that cars such as BMW’s are very expensive while home made cards like fords are not! I guess they want to keep the home made market strong but it’s crazy the price difference!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr_Angry posted:

...I need transportation...

I hate to admit to this but my girlfriend and I rented a Wicked Camper (google it) for a few days, and while it was a piece of crap it wasn't too bad and much cheaper than even renting a hatchback.

Basically it's a regular van that's been 'urban style' graffitied and fitted with a sink/stove/bed. They can't go over 80km/hr in 30+ weather or it'll overheat and this is probably the only functional drawback. But once you get over that they're pretty cool if you don't mind everyone assuming your a pot smoking European backpacker (I'm Australian and that was and still is my impression of anyone I see driving one).

Also pretty cheap, especially so since it means you can sleep in the back and pay $20 for a camp-site (or $0 for a lonely stretch of road) instead of $100+ for a motel. They have have outback versions that can be taken off road/on gravel. I'd defiantly consider renting another one next time I do a road trip.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Outrail posted:

I hate to admit to this but my girlfriend and I rented a Wicked Camper (google it) for a few days, and while it was a piece of crap it wasn't too bad and much cheaper than even renting a hatchback.

Basically it's a regular van that's been 'urban style' graffitied and fitted with a sink/stove/bed. They can't go over 80km/hr in 30+ weather or it'll overheat and this is probably the only functional drawback. But once you get over that they're pretty cool if you don't mind everyone assuming your a pot smoking European backpacker (I'm Australian and that was and still is my impression of anyone I see driving one).

Also pretty cheap, especially so since it means you can sleep in the back and pay $20 for a camp-site (or $0 for a lonely stretch of road) instead of $100+ for a motel. They have have outback versions that can be taken off road/on gravel. I'd defiantly consider renting another one next time I do a road trip.

I also had a Wicked camper when I visited a few weeks ago. I had the Cheech and chong one! Only had it because I late joining my friends and they all got a juicy camper. I had to get the last thing available which was the wicked camper!

It was old but was reliable and ok to drive. I was warned about overheating but even doing 100-130 the thermometer never moved off middle.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Vanilla posted:

With regards to accommodation I was thinking of getting an apartment right in the Sydney CDB or North Shore CBD. This means I’ll be close to work and won’t have a long commute every day. Will look for anything up to $600-700 – I can go pretty high because I intend on claiming LAFHA (Living away from home allowance) which means my rent is basically tax-free. Appreciate any info about LAFHA Logan, I know I need to make sure I get it up front as part of my contract.

Surry hills is a popular area with good bars/restaurants. Darlinghurst and Paddington also have some nice parts. If you're super into nightlife Woolloomooloo, Elizabeth Bay and Potts Point would be good, they are much safer now than 10 - 15 years ago now imo.

The north shore is um, quiet. North Sydney is pretty much a ghost town on weekends. I would only live on the north shore if i was married with kids or a hardcore Christian or something.

You should be able to get a nice 1-2bdr apartment for $600/$700 week in those areas.

quote:

What’s the deals with cars out there? Appears that cars such as BMW’s are very expensive while home made cards like fords are not! I guess they want to keep the home made market strong but it’s crazy the price difference!

There was some populist luxury car tax bought in ages ago, but Australia is quite far away from other countries so shipping can add up. You also get reamed on service costs or so i hear.

Real aussies drive utes anyway ;)

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

unixbeard posted:

Surry hills is a popular area with good bars/restaurants. Darlinghurst and Paddington also have some nice parts. If you're super into nightlife Woolloomooloo, Elizabeth Bay and Potts Point would be good, they are much safer now than 10 - 15 years ago now imo.

The north shore is um, quiet. North Sydney is pretty much a ghost town on weekends. I would only live on the north shore if i was married with kids or a hardcore Christian or something.

You should be able to get a nice 1-2bdr apartment for $600/$700 week in those areas.

I will be based on the North Shore CBD but a journey such as town hall to North Shore is easy (I currently do about 1.30hr each way in the UK!).

I'm looking at a lot of nice apartments. I'm thinking a two bedroom (second bedroom for an office) in a exec-type high rise. This is because I like the idea of a gym in the building and also someone to accept deliveries (concierge).

This will be expensive but I want to have 6-12 months living in the middle, in my own place. I'd consider getting a room in another apartment if it was a seriously plush one. Seen some crazy apartments, huge and fancy.

I guess Woolloomooloo would be a bit cheaper than the CBD given it's slightly further out? I guess it'll be harder to get to North shore also given the lack of metro anywhere near.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Maybe try find somewhere in Surry Hills thats a short walk to Central Station, then you can just get the North Shore line to North Sydney. Living near a train station has a pretty big impact on the livability of Sydney. Apartment building gyms always seemed a bit gimmicky to me, they're usually just a few exercise bikes and some simple machine kit. There's nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't really consider it a feature.

Pyrmont might be a good area for you too, the only downside being it's a maybe 10-15 minute walk to town hall station. But it has the sort of buildings you're after, and is ok lifestyle wise too.

If I worked in North Sydney and was hell bent on living that side of the Harbour, Kirribilli or McMahons Pt would do, could be a bit pricey though. Not too far to Milsons Point station then you can get to the city ok.

The CBD is fine to work in but full of tourists and not much in the way of supermarkets or parks and stuff that become more important when you're staying somewhere for a reasonable period of time. Also a lot of the cafes and stuff shut on weekends. There's some 4 million people in Sydney, a lot of them work in CBD but most of them don't live there. Surry Hills/Wolloomooloo/Pyrmont are all pretty much considered "inner city" imo.

If you're so inclined you could always cycle to work. Any of the suburbs I've mentioned wouldn't be too far to North Sydney, and you get to ride across the Harbour Bridge each day, one side of which is a bicyle only footpath.

If you get a second room as a home office you can claim part of the rent and expensese (electricity, internet etc) as part of your tax.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Okay, so if you're looking for a 2 bedroom executive style apartment, and your budget is up to about $700/week, I would look at the following areas:

Pyrmont
Milsons Point
Kirribilli
McMahons Point
North Sydney

These are all safe, clean, quite affluent areas and all within about ten minutes of the CBD by public transport such as bus or ferry. If I was you I'd steer clear of Darlinghurst, Potts Point, Woolloomoolloo etc - good locations to live in nightlife wise since they're so close to Kings Cross, but despite gentrification the areas remain kind of lovely on a day to day basis... think hookers, crazy people and methadone clinics. Surry Hills although great location-wise is also not the nicest area and doesn't have too many of the highrise exec buildings you're after - moreso older terrace houses and such.

With your budget, you could even very well think about looking at an apartment in the CBD itself, though I'm not sure what sort of quality you'll find.

Xamboni
Dec 27, 2005
I'm an American college student who will be studying abroad in Newcastle for four and a half months. How do I go about not looking like a tourist/stupid American?

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Xamboni posted:

I'm an American college student who will be studying abroad in Newcastle for four and a half months. How do I go about not looking like a tourist/stupid American?

Be a normal person? I dunno, probably the biggest thing is to not be overly loud or obnoxious - stereotypically, we can tell Americans a mile away because you're all so goddamn loud even during normal conversation.

Logan21
Dec 7, 2005

I Am Logan...

Vanilla posted:

I’m also from the UK and looking to relocate to Sydney. I actually just came back from a 5 week holiday where I saw pretty much allthe major places apart from Canberra (Cairns, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney).

I’m going to get an internal transfer with my current work and this will likely be on a 457 Sponsored Visa. I can begin a 175 (resident) Visa once I get there if I want.

I’m starting to research the things I need to have ready – Bank account, etc. Any advice appreciated.

I have tried to post this 2 times, since I am currently travelling and the net connection has been dodgy as, so third time lucky now that I am in Singapore airport with stable wireless.

Re the LAFHA, you can only claim up to $250 a week as I understand and it also boils down to how much money you earn as well, as you have to earn a certain amount above a freshhold to claim it. Some companies do your rent, food, airfares others only do rent and food. If you do use LAFHA make sure you get a good tax accountant as well.

Also on the LAFHA front, although it sounds like your getting a good deal, take into account that as per your visa you must have valid health insurance as your not allowed to be a burdern on the medicare system. I pay $208 a month for full cover and I mean full. Covers everything and pays out fully, not just to a certain amount like other insurers do.

I would of been screwed if I didnt have my cover, I had to have back surgery for a bulging disc in my lower back this year and it cost $20k. So yeah definitly something to bear in mind.

Ummm yeah let me think re what you will need:

Bank Account
TFN
Medicare card

Those are your basics. With that you can start work.

Cars, no idea I drive the girlfriends Mazda 3, so yeah. But you could get one of them for about $20k I think.

As for where to live, thats been covered off. I live lower North Shore and its great for me cause I can go mtbing locally and stuff. But thats just me.

Just remembered something about renting places as well, you will probably see rooms for rent, smack in the CBD for silly prices like $150 p/w. Basically you will be sharing a room, probably with a asian student that cant speak english and its not what it seems. Not to mention its illegal.

Normally the landlord sets up bunk beds and crams in as many people as possible.

I have edited the main post as well.

Logan21 fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 2, 2010

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
If there are any Americans interested in a working holiday visa for Australia, there is one. It's not as good as the ones others can get, but it's good enough for 1 year. The only real limitation on it is that you can't work at one job for more than 6 months. I got mine about 2 years ago and it was around $180 Australian then I think.

It's called the Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) and you can find more information on it here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/462/

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Shnicker posted:

If there are any Americans interested in a working holiday visa for Australia, there is one. It's not as good as the ones others can get, but it's good enough for 1 year. The only real limitation on it is that you can't work at one job for more than 6 months. I got mine about 2 years ago and it was around $180 Australian then I think.

It's called the Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) and you can find more information on it here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/462/

I'm in Australia right now on the Work and Holiday Visa (462), and it's around $250 now. You can also get the 417 after you have the 462, which will extend your stay for another year, and you can work for the same company for a year rather than 6 months. I'm not sure how much the 417 is, however. Not a bad deal though.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

I Am Hydrogen posted:

I'm in Australia right now on the Work and Holiday Visa (462), and it's around $250 now. You can also get the 417 after you have the 462, which will extend your stay for another year, and you can work for the same company for a year rather than 6 months. I'm not sure how much the 417 is, however. Not a bad deal though.

Wait what? Do you know what happens if I left Australia already and I've finished my 462? Can I still come back and "extend" with a 417? I'm American, of course. Sorry, I thought I'd done all the reseach that could be done about staying in Australia longer without getting sponsored or marrying an Australian girl...

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Shnicker posted:

Wait what? Do you know what happens if I left Australia already and I've finished my 462? Can I still come back and "extend" with a 417? I'm American, of course. Sorry, I thought I'd done all the reseach that could be done about staying in Australia longer without getting sponsored or marrying an Australian girl...

Here you go. Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding what it's saying.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/how-the-visa-works.htm

It's about half way down under Second Working Holiday Visa, but it looks like you can just reapply even if you're outside of Australia. They have a table with all your options.

quote:

You were outside Australia You can:

* travel to Australia at any time in the 12 months from the date your second Working Holiday visa is granted (this cannot be extended or deferred)
* stay in Australia for 12 months from the date you first enter the country on your second Working Holiday visa.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Here you go. Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding what it's saying.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/how-the-visa-works.htm

It's about half way down under Second Working Holiday Visa, but it looks like you can just reapply even if you're outside of Australia. They have a table with all your options.

Oh I see... yeah, I'm American so I can't get the second working holiday visa. We're only allowed the 462 visa, so we can't even apply for a second 417. Basically if you're on the approved country list for the 417 you can do 3 months of work in a rural postcode and get an extra year of eligibility. But I asked the immigration office and unfortunately it doesn't apply to us Americans. Oh well...

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Shnicker posted:

Basically if you're on the approved country list for the 417 you can do 3 months of work in a rural postcode and get an extra year of eligibility.

I like how their idea of rural post codes includes entire states with cities of over one million people...!

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Shnicker posted:

Oh I see... yeah, I'm American so I can't get the second working holiday visa. We're only allowed the 462 visa, so we can't even apply for a second 417. Basically if you're on the approved country list for the 417 you can do 3 months of work in a rural postcode and get an extra year of eligibility. But I asked the immigration office and unfortunately it doesn't apply to us Americans. Oh well...

Woops. I could have sworn that the US was listed on 417 as well. Don't know how I screwed that up.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
One thing a lot of backpackers do is The Harvest Trail.
http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx

Its fruit picking work but allows you to see a good portion of the country while you do it. Its also in all states and territories so if you organise your trip well you could see a poo poo ton in one trip.

Xplosive
Apr 23, 2004

And he's bad as can.
I just applied for a working holiday visa. After 5 minutes I checked the status and was accepted. Nice turn around time.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Is Australia an okay place to work as a programmer? Is the pay good and are jobs as plentiful as they seem?

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

TreFitty posted:

Is Australia an okay place to work as a programmer? Is the pay good and are jobs as plentiful as they seem?

No clue about programming jobs here, but check out seek.com.au and search through that. It'll give you a good idea. And yes, the jobs are as plentiful as they seem.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TreFitty posted:

If you got a decent amount of experience with .NET or something like that I doubt you'd struggle to find work, and the pay rates are average -> above average

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Rudager posted:

If you got a decent amount of experience with .NET or something like that I doubt you'd struggle to find work, and the pay rates are average -> above average
I've got lots of experience in Java, .NET (C# and VB, ASP and Windows), and PHP. Any locations you could recommend starting a search? Should I be in country before I start searching or is it not a waste of time to apply from here in Korea?