Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Vanilla posted:

Got my internal transfer!

Should be in Australia by mid-August!

I need for find a room for 3-4 weeks while I sort out my own place. I'll check out Gumtree for some short term rentals.

What is apartment renting like in Australia? easy? nightmare? fast? slow?

Very much dependant on what city you are going to and where you are working. Or if you are going country or smaller town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I also suggest not being RIGHT in the CBD as well. Surrounding suburbs are good.

The CBD is not that big and its pretty much surrounded by suburbs. Anything near water will instantly jack up the price (so most suburbs that end in Bay).

Also depending on what you like some areas are nicer than others.

Also add to the ones mentioned

Wooloomoolloo - Very small suburb, right next to hyde park/botanic gardens
Millers Point
Dawes Point/The Rocks - This is pretty much the CBD. Right under the bridge. Big tourist spot.
Walsh Bay
Potts Point - Right next to Kings Cross and Elizabeth Bay. Nice area.
Redfern - Traditionally seen as a no go zone and people look down on it but one section is becoming very gentrified and is nice. Just check the location
Haymarket - Right near chinatown. Full of chinese students living 8 to a room.
Ultimo - Close to the city but pretty lifeless at night and a bit dank.
Darlington/Camperdown - Dominated by Sydney university
Glebe - Got lots of places to eat and a shopping centre right near it
Paddington - Very affluent area, but very pretty. Slightly further out.
Rushcutters Bay - YOU GOT MONEY MOTHERFUCKER?

The good thing with that budget is you WILL get a very nice place. But what do you want? If you want lots of Restaurants/Bars and a bit of life at night look into somewhere like Surry Hills. If you want elegance, money and leafy areas go furhter east to places like Paddington or Double Bay.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

If you are renting long term then no there would be no restrictions at all to how many people are sleeping there.

Of course if you have 20 people in the room and start having a party people will complain but the concierge is mainly for making sure no one shifty is coming in, acting like a help desk for any building troubles and what not.

What buildings are you looking at? I know a bunch and might be able to help.

If you are set on the CBD then the closer you get to circular quay is usually the better. Down towards central is generally not as nice. However around phillip/hunter/bond street its pretty loving dead on weekends because its mainly commercial. Its like a ghost town on Sunday afternoon.

http://www.lumieresydney.com.au/lumiere/html3/home/home/index.html

Thats one is amazing but I have no idea if there are places to rent in it.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Thats interesting. I've never had a problem with them but I can understand that some of them are annoying. Especially when you get some really political people in the body corporate.

I work in St leonards. Its getting a lot more people moving there.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Vanilla posted:

Yeah I think this one in there:

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Rent/Apartment/NSW/Sydney/?adid=6267928

I love the modern look, dark wood etc. The above one is right up my street - one bed and a little area as a study. I get the feeling it's really small though!

I'd be happy to get something similar in a suburb, especially as i'd get more for my $$$. I'm defo into the batchelor pad and not the family type apartment!

Like I said, i'll be renting a room for a few weeks first so by then I might have decided to avoid the CBD.

Wow as nice as that building is you could easily get a newly renovated terrace with a couple of bedrooms for less than that.

But I guess it is basically smack bang the centre of town.

Or you could go live with russell crowe

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Rent/Apartment/NSW/Woolloomooloo/?adid=6615739

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

unixbeard posted:

i hate St Leonards cause i worked there for years. lots of big soulless apartment buildings and its dead on the w/end. I am biased though, that is really just around the train station aka "the forum". Maybe other parts are nicer. If you do go St L, avoid anywhere near the hospital as it has a drug rehab/methadone clinic and you get some sketchy people around.

Crows Nest is alright, probably as good as you'll get on the north shore, but still pretty quiet imo.

I work in St Leonards now and it really would be a souless place to live. Crows Nest would be much nicer even though its literrally a few hundred metres down the road. Theres a better established community and way more restaurants and stuff. Both places are very much more lively during the week but Crows Nest isn't bad.

Eco RI posted:

Does anyone in this thread know anything about the state of the wine industry in and around Adelaide? What is living in Adelaide like compared to say Melbourne or Sydney? From what I can gather, this is where I would want to be if I moved there for a wine job and the rent is considerably cheaper in and around Adelaide. I have 4+ vintages of experience, so I might be looking at a supervisory position if I move there. Would any of you know what to expect/ask as for compensation?

Adelaide is much much smaller and more "non-city" than Melbourne or Sydney. From what I can gather its got a fairly healthy wine industry (I think it depends on your actual job title as some might be in higher demand than others) scattered all around it. I couldn't tell you what the exact job situation is like but at least Adelaide has the bonus of having its wine regions quite close to the city with the Barossa and McLaren vale and whatnot.

But I assume by your experience you would know

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

unixbeard posted:

If the weather is nice and you have a car, go get fish and chips here and eat them by the water. If you don't have a car you can get there by public transport though it will probably take hours, so you can bitch about that like a real sydney sider.

I believe here
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...013797&t=h&z=16

has better fish and chips :)

But really anything that involves getting out on the heads and sitting admiring the view for lunch is a good day spent (You have north head, middle head and south head). Catch a ferry across to north head and watch the yachts go by (depending on the day)I'm not really sure exactly where the ferries go but you can get most of them from circular quay (its in the CBD) to most places. Go get a nice lunch and have a walk around looking at the water/skyline.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Manly is a lot worse than Bondi is

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Well yeh because thats where all the tourists go. But Manly is just tacky poo poo. Bondi is not a "bad" place.

I prefer freshwater, mona vale, dee why and palm/whale

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

brendanwor posted:

Telstra has the best coverage, but is the most expensive and has bad customer service.
Optus has the second best coverage, pricing is good, but horrible customer service (think 1 hour on hold to get any customer assistance).
Three and Virgin Mobile have slightly worse coverage (but still fine in any capital city), but good pricing and customer service.

Most people who aren't old are generally with one of the latter three - I'm with Three, personally, and it's fine in Sydney and roams onto the Telstra network anyway when it can't get direct reception with Three.

If he needs 3G then I really suggest Telstra. For just normal mobiles then go with whatever if you are in a big city.

But the amount of people getting pissed off about Optus's and Virgin/Vodafones/3 coverage on their iPhones 3G and poo poo is pretty high.

Telstra have actually come down in price somewhat and are slight more competitive. Optus might give you more for your money but thats at the risk of it being unworkable half the time. Never have any problems with getting a signal on Telstra.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

mishaq posted:

I'm taking a trip to Australia/NZ the last 3 weeks of December.

For the first week (December 14-21) I'll be in Cairns diving the GBR. I'll be doing a lot of diving so I'm content just getting that accomplished, but looking at Cairns, it just looks like a big tourist trap. Is there anything else worthwhile doing there besides the Skyrail (which I might do on my last day since I can't dive)?

I can't believe there isn't even a beach in Cairns proper! But again...I'm there to dive and dive I shall.

After a week in NZ I'm coming back to Australia for 5 nights in Sydney for the New Year. I'm fortunate enough to have a nice hotel room downtown (paid for with points, the room rate was pretty insane) and I'm trying to plan my agenda. Definitely looking forward to some of the best fireworks displays in the world, but should there be anything else a young single tourist should look into for NYE?

I'll probably do a bike tour of the city one of the days I'm there, and I have a sort-of-coworker that lives in the suburbs of Sydney that will keep me entertained while I'm there too, but he's twice my age with kids so I don't see him being the time of my life.

Any information is appreciated!

The fireworks at NYE are pretty nice but assuming by downtown you mean away from the harbour you are going to have to get down there to have a nice view. It really lends itself to getting a few people and setting up a picnic rug and sitting there eating/drinking all day whilst you wait for the night to come. You have to get there in the morning or at least early to get a good spot especially in some of the areas which fill up and close up by afternoon. Theres over a dozen places you can sit at, some of the are not THAT great for seeing everything and some are tiny.

If you are by yourself or just with one other this might not be so great. Theres a whole lot of parties around the harbour that you might be able to get a ticket to. Or maybe they will have something in the major hotel bars that have awesome views of the bridge and stuff like the shangri-la and Four Seasons and Intercontinental but they might be only for hotel people or booked out for private stuff. I really don't know. I think doing the fireworks is pretty good for someone coming to Sydney but personally once you've seen it once or twice its not much difference so I prefer to go to the parties around the place where most people just watch it on tv :)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

brendanwor posted:

Nah, that's not really true. Speaking from experience, the last two times I've been down to watch the fireworks, I've walked down to Circular Quay at around 10-10.30pm - so not that early - and still had a perfectly fine view of the bridge and Opera House. You just have to have the patience to squeeze past people.

That's exactly what I said in my last post?? 2ndclasscitizen was referring to a scenario in which you didn't have prebooked tickets to anything, in which case yes, you'd want to get inside whatever pub/bar/club you're interested in quite early.

Thats true. I never go down around circular quay on NYE. I forget that a lot of families actually leave after the 9pm fireworks so you could probably snag a spot after those easily

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

mishaq posted:

I'll be at the Hilton. Mind sharing what some of those places are?

Well you don't get anymore central than the hilton so good choice. Still just a little too far to get a good view of the fireworks though :) Too many buildings in the way I would think.

The places I talked about are all public parks and stuff. Anyone thats next to the water pretty much on both sides of the harbour (but you are not likely to go over to the north side or down to somewhere like drummoyne).

Basically the whole thing centres around the harbour bridge with a bunch of stuff coming off barges in the middle of the harbour and some other stuff on buildings. The very best spot would to be on a boat most likely (i've only done this once when I was younger).
Next best would be places like Mrs Macquaries chair or Blues point reserve (tiny, north side).

The opera house forecourt is usually closed off for a ticketed event.

Theres a map here. Blue stars are where fireworks come from.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/nye/2010/VantagePoints/default.aspx

I obviously can't vouch for all the places but really you could go check a few out anyway seeing as its likely you'll go near a few during your stay in Sydney.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Isn't easter saturday usually normal hours as far as everything being open?
Good Friday is the one where everything is closed. Monday is usually Sunday trading hours.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

The paper will list everything thats open/times etc. So check that.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Rhandhali posted:

Are there any goodwill or salvation army type thrift stores in the Brisbane area? I'm going to be outfitting an apartment from square 0 and will be needing the usual array of household goods.

St Vincent de Paul or Vinnies and the Salvation Army are the main national ones.

http://www.vinnies.org.au/vinnies-centres-national?link=365
http://salvosstores.salvos.org.au/shop/find-a-store/

There should be one around you. Some are much bigger than others though so it might be worth checking around. Then theres other charities stores in places

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

If you come with no plans, little money and no return airfare then theres a good chance they might just turn you around and not let you in the country.

Now if he's got a couple thousand dollars. KNOWS some ideas of where he could find some work and looks at visa stuff before coming then he should be fine.

You've got to remember that if hes mving to a major city then he will need a decent chunk of money just to pay rent whilst hes finding a job.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Do you want stuff specific to Sydney or just "Australian"?

The latter you could do Opals and Pearls which might be too expensive although some opal stuff is quite cheap.

Off the top of my head theres a few souveneir shops along George street. Theres one or two near the QVB and another between there and cirular quay. Although these are all pretty standard, will most likely be exactly the same as all the others you've been too, and are just places where they force the buses of Asian tourists into.

The rocks has the best selection of shops for Australian stuff. You could get a photo print. Theres massive amounts of good photos of the opera house/bridge/skyline. The botanic gardens would have a good shop to buy something botany related. The museum of sydney probably has some nice stuff in it (I think its on Phillip street, couple of streets down from circular quay), or if you want something related to Sydney design/culture check out the museum of contemporary art (MCA) which is free to enter. Or how about something related to sydney music? Redeye records on king street has a good selection and if you ask the guy working there he could probably help you out.

Other stuff

Merino Wool gear/Ugg Boots
Driza Bone stuff
Akubra Hat
Bush Tucker food like jams or tinned stuff which is easier to take home
Small Wooden items
Aboriginal Artwork

Now that stuff isn't all inherently "sydney" but is all pretty good and for some of it you could easily just get something that is cheap and small.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Also do they still have Australian Geographic stores around? Try and find one of those. Full of little quirky/fun/educational things.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Vanilla posted:

What places are good for short weekend breaks around Sydney?

We've already checked out the blue mountains, Jervis Bay and soon Nelson Bay. Wondering what other places to consider?

The list is endless with coastal towns and areas but if you feel you've done enough of that then you can easily get to Canberra and the snowy mountains (which will not be very snowy right now) for a weekend. Canberra will take about 3 hours give or take half an hour depending on traffic/where you are going from. Mountains another hour or two after that.

Thredbo I believe has the most things to do in Summer. I've never been in Summer but I've always wanted to.

Or for other areas theres some botanical gardens and national parks I like but i think they could sustain you more for a day rather than a weekend.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Actually I've been there when I was really young and walked Kozciusko. And I've been to lake Eucembene to go fishing.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Bettey Kay than Kway!

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

If you're in a decent sized city then I think just going through the major travel agents could get you the best deal. Most of their websites tend to aks you to email or contact a store anyway so why not just drop in. I see the south pacific/fiji ones advertised all the time on the back of the travel section in the newspapers as well. I went on one of those with the family years ago. Was awesome and very cheap for a 5 star resort.

Do you know of any around?

Fists Up fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 4, 2011

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

SquallStrife posted:

This x100. They're more likely to open the package if it seems like the contents don't match the declaration.

That said, in all my years of buying crap on eBay, I've had one box opened because it was labelled as containing knives, and certain types of knives aren't allowed in. (Mostly flick knives and spring-loaded ones)

If they do sieze something, you'll usually just receive a letter where you can opt to have the article destroyed, or returned to the sender. Both at your expense, of course.

I had something held for about 12 weeks because it said "Remote Timer" on the package. It was just a thing for my camera but I think customs thought it was a bomb device. It came from Hong Kong and i got a refund because I thought it had gone missing but then it turned up randomly one day with it looking like everything had been ripped open.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Bar staff/waiting would be very easy to come by. Same with a dead end retail job.

brendanwor posted:

More than half of the bar staff, call centre staff etc we have in Sydney must be backpackers. Lots of cafe waiters/waitresses etc too. So yeah, shouldn't be a problem.

Dont forget that literally every person asking for money for charity on the street is from the UK.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

brendanwor posted:

By the way it's a bit cold in Sydney at the moment (65F during the day down to around 45F at night) so you'll probably prefer Cairns if you like warm weather and beaches and poo poo.

Its been loving freezing lately.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

These debates are stupid and subjective.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Internode is the best but you pay the most for it.

I rather like TPG for the price. Every now and then (say once a fortnight) I get a drop out but it only lasts 30 seconds.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I dont know how but Telstra have certainly pulled their finger out in a number of areas.

Their mobile coverage/service is the best I've found. Around me my friends Optus coverage has a terrible black spot and drops out in his bedroom. Where I pretty much have 5 bars with 3G all over Sydney.

Never had an issue so luckily haven't had to go through their customer service.

Everyone knows how poo poo Vodafone is though :)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Sharks Below posted:

Agree. Your doctor can prescribe you a sedative if you think you're really going to struggle. Remember there is a refueling stop, mine was Beijing for an hour on the way over and Singapore on the way back for a little longer. Earplugs are also an essential in case of screaming children.

You'll be fine :)

Long haul flights where you only stop to refuel aren't that common really (and cost more). I think only BA/Qantas do them for London-Australia. Most of the time you will change planes in Bangkok/Hong Kong/Kuala Lumpur/Singapore or Abu Dhabi/Dubai (obviously depends who you fly with).

So you at least get off the plane for a few hours and its not so bad. When you think about having a 12 hour flight - Break - 8 hour flight it goes ok. The 8 hour flight is pretty easy.

You can always look at going with a cheaper flight which stops in China or Korea for like 8-10 hours sometimes if you want to have a long break (note that sitting in a chinese airport for 8 hours might not be as glamourous as the other much much better asian airports).

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Depending on your city/experience/industry I can (and I'm sure others as well) reccommend some recruitment agencies to go through.

Job/Visa is the most important. Finding an apartment can come later and you can slum it for a few weeks at first or just stay in a hotel/hostel.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey Australia thread, I'd be most obliged if some of y'all could please rank the leading mobile (and mobile only) networks in order of best to worst.
Or if you don't feel like playing this game, instead talk me out of ditching my unbearably poo poo 3 contract/phone for an early Galaxy SII upgrade with Vodaphone... :suicide:... just kidding, Vodaphone are poo poo.
Feel free to ridicule me for being with 3 in the first place, we live and learn.

Telstra is the best now (as difficult as that is to say). They have by far the best 3G coverage and cover the most of Australia.

Optus would be second but had too many people on their 3G network about 12 months ago (not sure now).

The others generally give you more data and better deals than Telstra but quite frankly if you can't even get on to the network to use it then whats the point.

I struggle to use more than 500mb on my Telstra contract and I use it on the bus every day.

Stay the gently caress away from Vodafone.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

taladel posted:

Speaking of freelancing, if anyone can comment on differences between Australian business culture and that of the US, that would be incredibly helpful. I imagine it's mostly the same, but if there are idiosyncrasies I'd love to hear about them. :allears:

Australia is less intense, more laid back, more holidays and work stops generally once you leave the office.

Also no one gives a poo poo where you went to college.

But this will vary across industries.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

unixbeard posted:

Oh that's right, I have a question:

I have a friend who is Swedish who would like to come to Australia. She is 23, speaks fluent English & Swedish and almost fluent German (B2). I was thinking with those language skills she would probably be able to find something in tourism pretty easy, is that correct? I read somewhere that Germans are the #2 visitors to Australia second to the Japanese. Also it sounds like tourism has been taking a bit of a hit with the strong dollar and blah blah, would that make it harder for her?

I find that very unlikely (Germany being #2).

Swedish probably wont really be very helpful at all. Scandinavians aren't the biggest group and they all speak english anyway. Same with German really. Those who can take groups of Japanese or Chinese around are the best as far as needing another language.

Short Term Overseas visitors in August were from (by ranking of the most)

New Zealand
China
Japan
UK
USA
Malaysia
Singapore
Indonesia
Korea
Hong Kong

India is next most likely (drop in and out of the top 10) and Germany is somewhere around 10-20.

Seems Germany were up to 9th in March with 13,200 visitors.

This is all from the Bureau of Statistics.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Montalvo posted:

I don't think so! These are in WA, 3 hours' drive up north from Perth. Right along the coast, in Nambung National Park.

I have roughly a day's worth of free time in Sydney in the middle of this month. What should I do? Also, what are some reasonably safe, fun and cheap hotels/hostels to crash at?

Well theres a lot to choose from with just one day. What interests you? Being outdoors or indoors? History? Art? Music? Nature? Food?

Stay at the Sydney Harbour YHA if you can. Best hostel in Sydney. Otherwise stay at one in the CBD, Potts Point or Bondi for the most fun.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

First thing he should do upon coming to Australia is get an RSA certificate and go get a bar job. Its work and you can at least settle down somewhere first.

It wouldnt be that hard to get a job such as that. Other ones to go for - retail, supermarket packer, fast food, or if you have any sort of previous job in some low experience field then go for that.

Also lie about having experience in those jobs and just pass it off as "we do it different in America" if you stuff something up.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

invalid posted:

What can you tell me about Newcastle/New South Wales? I just got accepted into their graduate program. Not sure how I feel about that.

Its got the small country town feel to me but thats comparing to Sydney.

Its the biggest non-capital city in Australia. You have access to some really fantastic coastal areas as well as the hunter valley (the big wine region in the state). Plus its only 150km from Sydney so its really not that difficult to get down here. Its much more of an industrial/manufacturing town dominated by the coal industry.

Couldnt comment on the university but AFAIK its pretty decent as I know a couple of people who have been there. Apparantly its in a poo poo spot though.

Rent will be much cheaper than Sydney.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I rather liked Perth. I spent about 2 weeks there visiting my best friend who moved there in February. The beaches are pretty great. Driving around is incredibly simple and theres no traffic. The city itself is quite enjoyable and the weather was fantastic.

Its a lot better than Brisbane IMO.

Sydney and Melbourne are a lot more international but Perth has plenty going for it.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Montalvo posted:

I need to hang out in central Sydney from about noon until 6PM on Friday. I've got a large rucksack that I'd like to leave somewhere for the day -- does the Central train station have left luggage lockers? I'm also willing to spend some coin at a youth hostel if they're willing to hold onto my bag for me as well.

After a quick google I found this place which is near Central on elizabeth st apparantly

http://www.thefreightguy.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=211

Also I know theres this place a couple of blocks up from Central on George st.

http://www.cbdstorage.com.au/Services.aspx

However I think thats more for long term storage so you might be better off with what unixbeard said to save some money. Im sure those two youth hostels have some sort of service like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I go to QLD for work every few months and tend to stay in Brisbane and drive up and down the coast/out west over the week.

Last week I went North as far as Noosaville (and then NW to Gympie) and south down to Tweed.

I would say that 9 times out of 10 I would pick the Sunshine coast to live in. Its definitely a much more enjoyable place unless you like the tackiness and party lifestyle of the Gold Coast. From speaking to business as well a lot of people seemed to say the Gold Coast was doing it pretty tough at the moment as well (but thats not to say the sunshine coast isnt either).

I think Caloundra is fantastic and still decently close to Brisbane.

Also Gympie is a hole.