Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Rhandhali posted:

Well, it looks like I might be moving to Brisbane for two years to go to school at University of Queensland. I appreciate all of the advice people have posted in here, it's made researching the problem a lot easier.

Does anyone have opinions on cellular providers in Australia?

UQ is an awesome campus, although I haven't been there in years.
As to phones, my work changed us over from Telstra to Optus. Since then I've had worse coverage, lower battery life, and some of my SMS messages have been delayed receipt for 2 or 3 days. My work mates have had similar experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Rhandhali posted:

Thanks for the advice. I found out Thursday that I'm heading out that way so I'm still figuring out what's what. The University has housing, and off-campus housing that looks petty reasonable on the surface. I'll be there for two years or four years, depending on how things work out in my program.

How is the living situation around the St. Lucia campus? Is having my own transportation required, or can I get by on public transport/feet?

I drove in there every day when I went, but there are buses and ferries. The nearest train station is Toowong on that side of the river, and I imagine a combined train and bus trip would be popular with students.
Trains run infrequently if you are used to how they are in London or places like that, but off-peak they're every half an hour or so until they stop running for the night.
Take a look on Google Maps to see the lie of the land. It's quite hilly behind St Lucia, so keep that in mind if you like the look of walking or riding a push-bike.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

HookShot posted:

...It's on the expensive side (a little under $20 for a pasta main) but it's sooooooo good.

Get used to food being more expensive than you are used to. Restaurant prices for main meals would hover around $20 everywhere in Australia, depending on the quality of the establishment. Having said that, I've had great $10 steaks. Mind you, at that price I would probably order two.
And no free soft-drink top-ups!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

HookShot posted:

I can't speak as to the job situation since I've been self employed for 2 years, but the minimum wage in a lot of sectors is going to be a lot higher than you're used to. I was a server at two bakeries when I first moved here and I was making just under $20/hr. Minimum wage here depends on what industry you're working in (called an 'award') but starts at like $13 or thereabouts.

Keep in mind that you don't get any tips. Great if you're surly, perhaps not so much if you're blonde and busty.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

NoArmedMan posted:

Edit: it actually has times in the above link for Koala hugging, so the guy posting before about it being illegal is incorrect

Come on, man - he was obviously making a joke. It's hugging dropbears that is illegal, as you well know.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

HookShot posted:

This is fine, one of the times I scuba dived on the reefs it was raining, why would you worry about it since you're going to be underwater anyways?

I just dived the Reef last week in Cairns and it was raining. Whilst vis was down to 10-15m or so it was still great and warm.
That's the only problem with diving when it's raining - it's not the water it's the reduced visibility as the sun isn't out and a storm might be stirring up the water.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I was on an IT-related training course once years ago and a bunch of customs guys were there too. The presenter was from a US company and he said he brought some prizes over with him to hand out to people who did the best on the exam. There were the usual polo shirts and such, but one of them was a jar of creamed honey.
The customs agents all looked at each other spluttering, as it is an offence to bring bee-related products into the country.

It was funny at the time just to see the first reactions of the customs guys. They were cool with it as it was a bit late to do anything about it. And I won the creamed honey and it was delicious.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

totalnewbie posted:

...and funeral arranged. I hear everything in Australia kills you. :ohdear:

The one thing to take seriously, as it seems to kill the most tourists, is the ocean. Really, swim in the patrolled areas - our currents can be pretty hardcore.
Drunken night swims in the surf is a sure-fire way to get your name on the front page of the newspaper the next day.
Everything else will try and kill you, obviously, but it's the sea that people don't expect. Knowing is half the battle!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

ExecuDork posted:

I expect any hotel would have a wi-fi network for their guests.

They will be paid-for access, though. Hotels with free wifi are very rare as far as I can tell.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

teacup posted:

My girlfriend who has lived in Australia literally her entire life but is Asian has had the same experiences as detailed above

I have at least 5 different stories from people who are African, Indian, Asian, Islander saying the same from when I worked in fast food.

I now work as a travel agent and people come back to me with these stories. I've actually deterred people from travelling to queensland because of it if they have any ethnic background other than pale white

I'm a white male, and was standing at the counter of a Japanese takeaway in the heart of the Brisbane CBD waiting to be served. I was the only one standing there, and the three Asian women behind the counter were busying themselves with making sushi and stocking the fridge.
I was ignored for some small time, and an Asian couple came up behind me and stood at the counter. The three staff turned and asked them what they would like, ignoring me completely. At this point I walked away and have never shopped their since.

I'm not suggesting this is common, or that I feel hard done by as a middle-aged white male in modern society, but it didn't impress me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Gromit posted:

I'm not suggesting this is common, or that I feel hard done by as a middle-aged white male in modern society, but it didn't impress me.

Thanks for not reading this part, nutjobs. It was just an anecdote I posted, that's all.
I was pointing out that you can see racism anywhere, directed at anybody, if you look hard enough. For all you know, that "racist" person you spoke with was having a lovely day or something.

\/ That's not the definition of racism but I'll agree with you to let this drop.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 17, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Hey, he asked for the derail to end and my comment was not exactly a parting shot. Still, nice that I pissed someone off enough to blow ten bucks!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Oof, okay, fair cop. I apologise all around for an awful post that would have been better off not made at all. I'll wear that avatar as a mark of my shame and try not to be such a douche in future.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Woohoo posted:

Still feels like overdoing it in country where everyone wears flip-flops. In Perth, I saw businesspeople wearing backpacks and training shoes (with trousers and button shirts, though).

I can almost guarantee that people in business attire but with trainers change into those shoes for the walk outside the office.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

caberham posted:

I kind of had that feeling, but my goon friend is in Brisbane so I got to visit him and do more fun stuff with him. Honestly though, I'm kind of burned out on short travel trips and checking out new cities as much as I love museum hopping and doing city/cultural stuff. I was just in Malaysia and had a lot of fun driving a car around the Cameron Highlands and going to Singapore, so I probably will drive a car from Brisbane up north and then fly back to Sydney.

Just keep in mind that driving a car from Brisbane to the GBR will take you a really long time. 6 or 7 hours might get you to the base of it near Rockhampton I guess, but somewhere like Townsville or Cairns are about as far away from Brisbane as Melbourne is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

khysanth posted:

4- Cairns/GBR/Scuba. Any recommendations on which company to go with? We definitely want to scuba but we are not PADI certified or whatever it is. How early do we need to book?

I did my Advanced Open Water on a 3-day live-aboard on the GBR with Cairns Dive Centre (CDC), and I'm SSI certified. They were fine, but they are also the only ones I've used in Cairns so I can't compare them with anyone else. It was years ago so I've no idea how far ahead I booked. A few weeks maybe?