Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr_Angry posted:

My girlfriend and I are going to vacation in Australia for two weeks over Christmas and we are looking for rental car options. We are flying into Sydney and have non-Australian drivers licenses and are looking for a car with the following options:
  1. Unlimited mileage or lots of km per day (we'll be driving up to Brisbane or a little further).
  2. Ability to add an additional driver (we'll share the driving).
  3. Pick up and drop off at Sydney airport or at least transportation to and from the rental lot.
Hertz and Europcar were pretty good for unlimited kms when I was there. I would seriously consider driving one way and flying back. If you're European, I'm not sure you have any idea how big the distances are in australia. If you're an American you do, but remember that Australia highways outside of urban areas is almost always 2 lane highway. And outside of NT, the speed limits are very low and the nation is riddled with speed cameras.
If you do one way check rates going both ways. For example, Adelaide to darwin gets unlimited kms (hertz), Darwin to Adelaide gets 250 kms per day. That is a huge difference if you're putting 3000kms on the car.
The wicked campers are huge pieces of poo poo. On the Stuart, I had a Ford Fairlane (bigass boat). Passing them at 160 while they were doing 80 was hilarious.

I highly recommend trying to get a bigass Australian boat like a Falcon or a commodore. They're really uniquely australian vehicles. Biggass RWD sedans just aren't common outside of luxury vehicles elsewhere.

Oneway flights in australia are pretty darn cheap.

edit: Dammit didn't notice post date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU