Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Maybe someone has some information that can help me out.

I'm living in the USA with both US and Spanish citizenship. I want to go to graduate school eventually for English Literature, and ideally in Australia, but the International student fees might end up being too much if I can't get funding.

1. Anybody have any info on funding for graduate school? I'd be getting a Masters in Research first and then a PhD.

2. I'm considering living in Australia for a while working, building up savings and a permanent residency visa before going into Grad School, however, as a Theater/English major, I don't have any of the skills for the specific workers visas. However, I am fluent in Spanish, Catalan, and French, having lived in France, Spain, and Bolivia, and having experience with translating/interpreting. Any ideas if those skills can get me a job in Australia? I'm looking into the Spanish Embassies, seeing if they might be able to sponsor me, but how could I look into other areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Montalvo posted:

This thread is a little dead, but hopefully I will get some useful information. :)

I'm moving to Perth for two years in about a month's time for academic purposes (I'm following my PhD supervisor to his new job). Job-wise I'm obviously secure, including my funding, so I'm not too worried about things like that; they're even covering my medical insurance. My visa is sorted and I have accommodation for 3 weeks from when I arrive so that should hopefully give me enough time to find a place to rent.

I was hoping to get a bit of information about what life in Perth is like. Most people tend to talk about Sydney and Melbourne, so I've found it difficult to get an idea of what it's like in Perth. I guess I just want to be able to get a reasonably good social life going and not get too bogged down with work and feel lonely!

I've heard that its a relatively dead town, rather isolated and made up of lots of suburbs. Housing wise, I'm sure someone can point you to a more exciting place to live at. If you're outdoorsy, however, there is a lot of hiking and such to do around there, a couple of national parks, stuff like that. Also you're close to the Little Creature Brewery. It's delicious delicious beer. You might also want to move into the brewery.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

Should have a look at Adelaide too, it's a smaller, cheaper version of Melbourne. Plenty of international students end up there too.

When I looked into where I should do my semester abroad, I was holidaying in Rio. I met an Aussie at the hostel and asked him. I wanted to do Adelaide from the whim, the name sounded interesting. He swore to me up and down not to go, and suggested Melbourne instead. Best decision I made.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

Feel like elaborating on that? It's not the best town if you're looking for long term careers prospects, or a hectic nightlife, but for what the poster I was responding to was after it's a sensible choice.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be vague. Specifically, Adelaide is a bit lonely geographically. Yes there's stuff to do around there, but not too much and any travel becomes harder as you have to get to Melbourne, Sydney, or Perth first. While cost of living is lower, the opportunities and culture of Melbourne are just not present in Adelaide. I'm responding specifically to his international students aspect. A lager town like Melbourne is just going to have more things available. My visit to Adelaide was drab, although the locals were extremely kind.

Basically, I was faced with the choice between Adelaide and Melbourne and after talking it over with this Australian guy and doing some of my own research, I chose Melbourne. Cost of living is slightly higher, but the opportunities/restaurants/experiences/night life/variety were exceptional, and the quality of my education was also very high (I attended the University of Melbourne).