Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For anyone heading to Sydney, the inner west is a good area to look for a place to live, particularly for share houses.

You're basically on the edge of the CBD, which is in the top RH corner (George St is the main street). I'm currently paying $200 a week in a 3 bedroom apartment in a new secure building with parking in Newtown. If you don't need parking you can definitely pay less. Shitloads of bars and cafes, pretty good public transport, particularly round Newtown and Redfern. The two main centres are Newtown and Glebe, the former's a bit eclectic, and quite a few uni students, the latter is pretty good but gentrification is well under way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TreFitty posted:

I have a question about public transportation: is it viable? I can't survive in most parts of the US without personal transportation and have spending close to two years in Korea, I much prefer public transportation.

I am well aware that I will not get laid this way.

All depends on where you live and work. If you work in the CBD (or a large industrial/office area) you'll most likely be able to and from there ok. But the further out into the 'burbs you get, the worse it is. Also, you ideally want to have a rail station within walking/riding distance, because gently caress buses.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I Am Hydrogen posted:

I have to go to Canberra for business this week. I get there Monday evening and leave Thursday night. I'll only be able to do things after 6pm. Is there anything to do there? All I've heard is that it sucks, and everything worthwhile can be done in a day. Any suggestions on cool things to see/do? Never been there before. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Get drunk.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mantle posted:

Also, what is a standard (legislated?) work week in Australia? Do the "standards" vary between professionals and trade jobs?

40hr weeks, 4 weeks paid annual leave (I think these are both legislated) and you'll usually get ~10 paid sick days.

But in regards to the working week, it's really down to what you do and your employer. But in an office job, you'll most likely be in 40hrs. We do have pretty good workplace relations laws and protections.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vanilla posted:

Got my internal transfer!

Should be in Australia by mid-August!

I need for find a room for 3-4 weeks while I sort out my own place. I'll check out Gumtree for some short term rentals.

What is apartment renting like in Australia? easy? nightmare? fast? slow?

Depends where you're going to be. There's a few places that have ridiculously low vacancy rates making it very hard.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vanilla posted:

Yeah, sorry, I guess some additional info wouldn't have been to much to ask for :)

I'll be going to Sydney. I'll be looking to get an apartment right in the CBD. $500-650pw.

Click here and then chuck in your price range and other preferences. Should be able to find something you like.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Switen posted:

Any suggestions?

The NSW north and mid-north coast (Ballina down to maybe Taree) is a great area. Some towns can be a bit tourist-y, but it's not that bad and it's just a beautiful part of the world.

As for the weather, if you're only coming as far south as Sydney, it won't be so bad. It's certainly a cold winter this year, and everyone (myself included) is bitching about it, but it's not actually that bad. I mean, we had the coldest night in the city in something like 40 years last week, and it only went down to 4.5 degrees.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Argh..hh...heh. posted:

Also, I really want to buy a motorcycle over there, because I'm clinging desperately to foolish youth. I have a regular canadian license, does anyone know what the rules are for motorcycle licensing in Australia?

Are you still on a learner/provisional/otherwise restricted licence? If not, with a Canadian licence you'll just be able to walk into an RTA motor registry, hand over your Canadian one and get an Australia licence.

And nthing just flying between Brisbane -> Sydney. If you look around you'll probably be able to manage a return flight for <$150. It's only a short flight so it won't matter if you take a really budget airline like Tiger or Virgin.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mishaq posted:

After a week in NZ I'm coming back to Australia for 5 nights in Sydney for the New Year. I'm fortunate enough to have a nice hotel room downtown (paid for with points, the room rate was pretty insane) and I'm trying to plan my agenda. Definitely looking forward to some of the best fireworks displays in the world, but should there be anything else a young single tourist should look into for NYE?

Well, if you want to go out to a bar/club/etc on NYE, you'll basically want to be in there early and stay there, or you'll never get in. If you're keen to see the fireworks, probably best to wander down to the harbour nice and early and claim a good spot.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

brendanwor posted:

That's exactly what I said in my last post?? 2ndclasscitizen was referring to a scenario in which you didn't have prebooked tickets to anything, in which case yes, you'd want to get inside whatever pub/bar/club you're interested in quite early.

mishaq posted:

I was just interpreting 2ndclasscitizen's post as if it wouldn't be worth it even WITH tickets. That's why I asked! Sorry... :(

Sorry, I was referring to if you didn't have tickets to a venue.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Macintyre posted:

Couple questions: From what I have read the Easter holiday over there is a huge deal and most things shut down. Is this true? Should I just expect to be chilling out for that weekend?

We like our long weekends, and in NSW next year everyday is going to be a public holiday. Lots of stuff will be closed on the Sunday, the other days it will vary. Big chain stores will be open, smaller stuff will be hit and miss. But, this depends on where you'll be over the weekend. In a city? Don't be too concerned, maybe stock up on stuff before to 100% safe, smaller towns be prepared for stuff to be shut.

Macintyre posted:

Lastly, how good is the rail service from say Sydney to Brisbane? I enjoy a good train ride but the prices seem to be in line with flying, and flying is a heck of a lot faster.

Shithouse, don't bother. Takes forever, pretty expensive and you're not going to have time to get off and check out towns unless you want to wait for the next day for the next train (which will make it even more expensive).

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fists Up posted:

Also do they still have Australian Geographic stores around? Try and find one of those. Full of little quirky/fun/educational things.

Looks like the closest one to the city is at Bondi Junction, but seconding going to The Rocks.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fists Up posted:

Thredbo I believe has the most things to do in Summer. I've never been in Summer but I've always wanted to.

I've been there in November and done the Kosciusko walk, it is an utterly spectacular part of the world in the Spring/Summer.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheDude42 posted:

My sister is doing her last semester in Australia (Sydney), and I'm going to visit her in June. I'm only there for a week (I know, too short, but it's all I can afford schedule-wise at the moment), and we're trying to figure out a good short touring plan.

She was suggesting some driving up the gold coast, visiting Fraser Island, Whitsundays, Cairns. Some combination of driving and flying, but I'm returning from Sydney, so I have to end up there at some point. Having never been to Australia, I have no idea what the best options are for my short time.

One note is I desperately want to dive the GBR. It seems like the Cairns / Port Douglas area is the place to be for that. Can anyone recommend a good site and/or dive shop? (I'm a PADI advanced diver btw).

Is the Skyrail worth it while we're up there? Any other hands-down must-sees between Sydney and Cairns? Is it worth it to take the time to drive up the coast? I'm sure it's gorgeous, but I just did the whole pacific coast highway thing, and while I'm sure it's different, if I'd be better off spending my time somewhere else, I'd be curious to know.

It'd be worth it, but driving Gold Coast -> Cairns in a week would be really stretching it if you wanted to see anything though.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NoArmedMan posted:

Might not be relevent in this case, but just a note for anyone else wanting cheap fares. Tiger Airways is almost always the cheapest carrier, but is generally a piece of poo poo. As I fly between Melbourne and Sydney a lot, I look up the Tiger Airways flight then look up a Jetstar flight that leaves within the same hour (has to be within the same hour), then call Jetstar and get them to price match.

Not only do they price match, but they minus 10%.

Last time I traveled, Jetstar was going to cost $69 each way, per person. Tiger had a sale on - $39 one way, $1 back. I got Jetstar to price match this, so instead of my wife and I paying $276 dollars return to Melbourne, we paid $72.

The more you know!

Thanks for this, will have to remember that!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spaceguns posted:

Trying to put together a trip to Australia. Does anyone know the requirements for renting a car there? I have a U.S. Drivers License but am currently in Japan with the military so I can't exactly go to AAA to get an International Drivers Permit easily.

Also does anyone have an experience with http://www.wickedcampers.com.au ? Seems to be the best way to do a multi person Cairns/Gold Coast/Sydney trip while dragging a bunch of dive gear around.

US Drivers licence will be fine.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HAIL LORD ZLATAN posted:

1- Trade school or apprenticeship? Is it something you have to choose (either TS or Apprenticeship) or you have to do both of them together?

IIRC an apprenticeship includes some classes at a trade school (mostly called TAFE here). Some info here: https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/types/apptrain.htm

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HAIL LORD ZLATAN posted:

So I'd have to find an employer willing to give me an apprenticeship then enroll at a trade school? Sorry I'm just really confused.

I believe that's the way it works, yes.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lizard Combatant posted:

Optus is the worst for everything. Case closed.

Yeah this. I'm on Virgin (re-branded Optus) for my mobile but I'm thinking that'll I'll probably switch to Telstra when my contract is up. Virgin's plans and service are good, but Optus' internet is just plain old unacceptable. So. Much. Lag.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It will be hot (but probably not as bad as it can be in December), but you should be booking accomodation now. Everywhere fills up quickly over Christmas/New Years.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Joking aside, Australia is a really safe place, you've not got anything to worry about. As for the not getting shitfaced with strangers thing, most hostels will have organised nights out for people staying there so I wouldn't worry about that too much either. Hell, a couple of the hostels here even have their own bars.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Virgin is quite good, but being an Optus re-seller, 3G can be quite flaky, their network is still way oversubscribed.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

taladel posted:

From across the Pacific, Australia seems like a somewhat fit culture. Is there any truth to this stereotype? I fully expect that this is bias because of the lens through which I view the country.

We're the fattest country in the world :australia:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=share and http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/share

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Montalvo posted:

I have roughly a day's worth of free time in Sydney in the middle of this month. What should I do? Also, what are some reasonably safe, fun and cheap hotels/hostels to crash at?

I hope you've got some warm clothes, weather is utter shite at the moment.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Montalvo posted:

Ha, I've just moved to Perth after six years in Scotland, I'm well stocked up on warm clothes! ;)

It'll feel just like home then!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pompous Rhombus posted:

When calculating take-home salary, is there anything to look for other than income tax and the 1.5% Medicare levy (are there local/state taxes on income)? Obviously GST applies, but that's consumption-based.

Depending on what your package is, superannuation. Some employers include it in your overall salary (i.e saying you'll be making $50k a year, but that's $45k salary + ~$5k super). Apart from that, no, only income tax is Federal.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As in the actual term used by councils for their maintenance departments? Because that will be different for pretty much every council.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nah, it'll just be an internal HR/management name used at the council, not a set blanket term that's used by them all.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When I came back from the States I was worried about my shoes because the little declaration form you fill out on the place mentions if you've been in nature areas/on farms and I'd been hiking so my shoes were a bit dirty/muddy, but they waved me straight on when the Customs quarantine people at the airport saw them. I was basically outside in a cab when I remembered that I had gone through with a bunch of spent .45 casings in the bottom of my bag from when I went to a gun range in Vegas. Your laptop will be fine.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Correct, with summer holidays kicking in a fortnight or so before Christmas (although depending on whereabouts you are it usually really doesn't start to get hot until then) and lasting until the end of January.

January -> March is a really bad time to be finding a place to live in the big cities as that's when uni starts for the year so the rental market becomes (even more of) a shitstorm.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you're talking about Netflix et al, TPG do unlimited ADSL for $70/month.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ExecuDork posted:

Quick question: I normally wear a Leatherman multitool on my belt and thus boxes fear me. Obviously if I bring it to Australia it will be in checked luggage, but once I'm there will I get in any trouble for this habit? Some places seem to be more worried about knives than others.

You'll be fine. People will think you're a weirdo if you're not using it for work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wouldn't bars/clubs/etc. already have their staffing locked down this time of year?