Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

That said, I'd think you'd be able to find a job quicker at the Gold Coast. There's plenty of bar jobs there with plenty of turnover. It still is a somewhat tacky place, though.

But the Sunshine Coast is way nicer. I've only ever been there once (used to live at Bribie Island), and went to Maroochydore a few times. Generally, it's a pretty chill place with plenty of things to do.

Plus the Ettamogah pub is up the way to the Sunshine coast. And Australia Land. And the Big Pineapple. You gotta experience those at least once.

The Ettamogah pub (well, one of them) is just off the M1 highway northbound, its quaint but not amazing.
AussieWorld is next door. never been in there.
The Big Pinapple has closed down and the land is for sale since it used to be right alongside the main road north but the Highway bypass went in, and patronage dried up.

Bribie Island is quite lovely, and if you have a 4x4 and some knowlege on how to use it you can get a recreational pass to drive it on the beach and all the tracks crisscrossing the island. There are some interesting old bunkers and naval gun emplacements up on the northern end of the island, and great swimming holes further down the beach. On the opposite side (mainland side) there is some good camping sites and fun tracks to drive.

Tin Can Bay and Rainbow beach are at the top of the Double Island Point reserve which is a strip of beach about 50kms long with camping all the way down, great if you have a 4x4 and want to wake up to the sound of surf 50ms away. However in the last few years they now require a permit to drive on the beach and police patrol it. The speed limit on the beach is 70kph. Be careful of the rocks near Rainbow beach, ONLY attempt to pass those rocks near low tide. they are trecherous and if you get stuck the sea will claim your vehicle.

Gypie is the major town in that area and all normal facilites will be there including cinemas and shopping centres.

A tip if you are driving through regional towns and need a place to stay, look out for the two story Hotels, there will generally be one or two of them in most towns and they are good for cheap rooms upstairs, food and drink. Ask at the bar and you can expect to pay between $30 and $60 per for a single bed room. Far cheaper than the caravan parks and Motels that usually sit on the outskirts of town.

A word on Beer.
Each state has their own 'state beer' or beers which varies in quality but nonetheless draws quite a loyalty among the native drinkers of the state you are in.
Most however are owned by Lion Nathan or Fosters United, excepting Little Creatures and Coopers.
Some are only available in their state however twenty first century logistics (ok, 1990's) has allowed many to be available all over Australia. Australia is also experiencing somewhat of a craft beer revolution and all sorts of styles are cropping up from small breweries now.
The majority of beer in Australia is Lager style.

QLD has XXXX or Fourex, XXXX Bitter comes in a red can and is terrible. XXXX Gold is drunk by a lot of people, comes in a yellow can and is better than Bitter, but still not great.
NSW produces Tooheys. Tooheys Extra Dry is a very popular beer and you can ask for a TED almost anywhere in the country and will receive a an amber lager in a clear bottle with a green label printed directly on the bottle featuring a Stag. Quite drinkable. Tooheys also produces Super Dry, Tooheys New (blue label and cheap, popular among students) and Tooheys Old (dark ale) and a few others
South Australia features Coopers which is available australia wide and is drinkable if unexciting, and Southwark and West End. Which I have never tried so wont comment.
Victoria is iconic for its ubiquitous Victoria Bitter or VB. You can ask for a VB anywhere and get a green labeled short brown bottle with a pedestrian lager inside, previously australia's best selling beer it has recently been overtaken by XXXX Gold. Good after a hard days work in the sun, but not fancy at all. Less popular is Melbourne Bitter, similar in style but wears a red label, and Carlton Draught which is better known for its quirky advertising than its quality beer.
Tasmania wins the state beers with its Boags and Cascade brands, both are quality brews with Boags being the alcohol heavyweight out of the two. Both are available australia wide.
Western Australia features Swan and Emu, steer clear of both especially Emu Export. Instead travel to Fremantle and go to the Little Creatures Brewery. Little Creatures produces some excellent beers and features a full restaurant inside the brewery proper where you can have a beer pulled straight out of the tanks, I highly recommend the experience, food and beer. Creatures is available australia wide while Emu and Swan are only available in WA.
Northern Territory produces Redback, a flavoursome and appealing beer available all over Aus.
Canberra produces nothing

Noone within australia drinks Fosters. If you ask for it, you'll get at best told they dont have it, at worst laughed at.
If you actually like Fosters and want one, ask for a Crown Lager, or Crowny. Its the same thing in a different bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I live in Brisbane southside. Ask away.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Lediur posted:

Any ideas what to do / take pictures of in Sydney in early August (good tours, etc)? I'll be there for about 5 days.

Around Brisbane would also be helpful.

Southbank has several photogenic locations, It also looks directly out over the whole city and several bridges, good for night shots. A short walk along the river will lead you to Kangeroo Point where the 20m tuff cliffs provide majestic shots of scale, or panoramas of the city. Some climbers will probably be there for you to snap shots of.

Wilson Outlook Reserve will give you a great view of the city behind the steel suspension Storey Bridge.

Like this:

or take some from a CityCat:

Mt Cootha is the look-out point in the city and always has people photographing the city from here. And just down the hill is the botanical gardens with small regional themed gardens which are delightful to walk about.

The Roma St Parklands is particularly nice and varied with sculptures and a variety of gardens.

Getting out of the city, Wyvenhoe dam is a stunning piece of engineering that is supposed to stop the once-in-a-century floods from wrecking brisbane, and is a really great drive out through The Gap and over Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious, a windy picturesque drive past thick forests and small creeks.
Stradbroke Island is a great visit and has some of the best beaches, Surfers Paradise at the Gold Coast can suck a dick

The Glasshouse Mountains up near Beerwah has some great walking trails, but then so do many closer national parks near brisbane.
There is a book called Brisbane's Best Bush, Bay and City Walks by Dianne McLay and should be available in touristy info places. Brisbane City Council also produces a hand sized book of all the bikeways and cycle paths if you are inclined.

Never mind with Fortitude Valley, its a pretty seedy suburb in daylight, and a terrible meat-market at night. New Farm, the suburb next to it is far nicer, if a bit hipster. The China Town isnt very authentic, if you want real asian, you'll find that in Sunnybank on the southside. The Market Square is renowned for its asian food catering to the large local asian population.
The German Club in Wooloongabba is great for its German food and imported beers. Very busy on friday night.

If you do Geocaching, there are about 9000 caches in and about Brisbane. I've found many hidden spots i'd never know about secreted away, all while looking for caches.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

NoArmedMan posted:

Yeah, this.

I don't know why your advisor had so much trouble. Walk in to a 7/11 or supermarket, buy $2 sim, register and put money on it via the internet or with a phone call. Done.

Just dont go with Vodaphone, their network is broken, go with Virgin or optus.

if you are going far from the city, Telstra has the best coverage but is the most expensive.

Oh, forgot to mention the cheapest possible option is TPG.com.au

They have a capped plan with no contract period (just a $20 setup fee) the $17/month plan gives you $550 of calls/texts and 1.5Gb of data.
They piggyback off the Optus network so if you're sticking around cities and not expecting satphone levels of coverage I'd reccommend you try them. They may take a day or so to get a SIM to you if you dont go to a store though. Theyre not the greatest of customer service.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 21, 2012

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

TropicalGoons!

The lady is making noises about a holiday to Fiji. Casual browsing has alerted me to a coup in 2009 leading Fiji to be led by decree for the most part until maybe September this year. This doesnt seem to affect the tourism.

Can anyone give me some more boots on the ground advice and maybe some highlights to see and do. We're looking at 10 days over easter. Flying out of Brisbane.

Crossposeted from SE asia megathread where they told me there were no ladyboys there and i should not be interested or bothering them with this line of South Pacific questioning.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

teacup posted:

I wouldn't worry re: Fiji, they have had approximately 3,000 coups in the last decade. Tourism is fine.

Leaving from Brisbane, how many nights are you going for, what is your budget and when do you want to go?

10 days, 9 nights, easter. Thats all we've got.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

We've changed our plans and are going to Geneva in May instead.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

those of you trying to get visas, it's currently really bad as the current government made a big anti immigration platform and got elected on it. their poorly thought policy is probably having flow on effects for regular immigration.

if you are in Perth and like beer I recommend visiting the Feral Brewery in the Swan Valley by day and the Little Creatures Brewery in Fremantle by night.

Feral is a young brewery that's winning awards and makes many more beers than they bottle. Creatures has a restaurant inside the brewery and has an amazing atmosphere.

also seconding the Fremantle gaol night tour.

don't come to queensland, the government pulled some monumentally stupid poo poo for G20 and should be punished.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 23, 2014

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, it has me a bit concerned. On the one hand, from the official publications I've read, the government seems pretty decent about grandfathering people in to whatever the old rules were when they came to Australia. On the other, I've still got two years on a student visa -- after which theoretically it should be a direct transition given the amount of points I'd have (IIRC my margin is 10 over the current threshold). Worried it'd make employers even less likely to look at me being on a transitional visa though (and being a teacher there's really kinda one main hiring season), and there's the possibility of being rejected for whatever reason, so I wonder if I should go for that two-year 485 Temporary Graduate visa. Would cost at least AU$1500 just to cover my arse with that one though, and the Independent Skilled one would be $3500.

There are terrible bits of news coming out about refugee visas being denied (seemingly out of spite and to carry the political narrative) and people being bundled up from their beds in the middle of the night and being deported.
Its horrifying.

An aquaintence of mine was here as a student under her parents visa, they were Malaysian, when her parents moved to singapore for work she was unable to secure a semi-skilled work visa while she finished her studies and found work when her student visa ran out.
The Dept of Immigration (and later Border control) figured if she was Malaysian, she can go back to Malaysia, not Singapore. Even though she has no friends or family there and grew up in Australia for the majority of her life. She was panicked.

She was unable to stay in australia and managed to get to Singapore.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

Myself and my girlfriend happen to be in Sydney and have a free week from Feb 14th to Feb 21st. However at this point we've already "done" Sydney, and want to spend that week elsewhere.

She's really keen on doing the GBR, but I've read that Feb is the worst time of year to visit there. But how bad is that? Apocalyptic "You will hate every moment" kind of bad? Or just "It's not the best time"? Spending a week in a tropical place sounds really neat, but we normally live in Auckland so choosing another time isn't impossible. It would just be disappointing to miss this opportunity.

38C and 83% humidity. Nah. Sounds lovely. You should go.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Sharks Below posted:

How's the loving serenity.

I laughed irl.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

caberham posted:

Hey guys, stupid tourist checking in. cross posting from the LAN thread

Hello, Any Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane goons here?

It would be nice to meet some goons within the next 2 weeks! Any craft beer recommendations would be appreciated! If no one is starting one, I don't mind starting a goon meet Sunday in march 29 in Sydney and another one next weekend. What kind of chat apps do you guys usually use? Whatsapp/Line/Kakao or God forbid Wechat?

Sorry to be so lazy in organizing meet ups, I used to be on the spot but nowadays I'm kind of drained.

I'm hosting an auspol goonmeet on sat night at South Bank in brisbane. some goons from Sydney are coming up. you're welcome to join. at this stage it will be at Stokehouse.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Thanks for joining the goonmeet, sorry i didnt reply to this thread, but you found us all the same.

Abe you left to get food and never returned :(

I hope you found a burrito and I look forward to seeing you in Hong Kong.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

pazrs posted:

Don't buy an old European car to road trip around Australia in. Buy something common like a Holden, Ford or Toyota.

Absolutely, holdens, fords, Toyotas or Hyundai's are very very common and have plenty of cheap spare parts. Buying a european car is asking for expensive repairs. Almost any part will need to be shipped in from Europe, sometimes taking months.

old cars of 10+ years old can go quite cheaply (sub $2000) but be cautious because they might be broken, I've seen several backpackers filling their radiators on the side of the highway.

Absolute Zero posted:

Hey guys. American guy here moving to central QLD later this month (by way of Canada) on a transfer from my employer.

How hard is it for foreigners to buy a car? Any trouble at all? I have a week in Rockhampton to get settled before going inland, and was hoping to be able to purchase a car in that time period. Is it realistic to assume I'll be able to do that?

Additionally, I got some info from my employer for doing a novated lease which is really weird and different from what we have in North America. also I was quoting it and like wtf how can it possibly cost north of $1800/mo. to lease a pickup? I have cash on hand too so just wondering, am I missing something or is it going to be a better deal for me to just buy something cash? I have no idea how much fuel, registration, insurance, and the other things covered in the lease would cost independently but can't see how it adds up to that much. The websites just keep talking about how much money you save by doing the lease, but the monthly cost seems incredibly high compared to what I am used to.

Not sure about leases, but that might be to do with leasing a new car and then you're supposed to offset your tax with that. Probably not a solution for short term solo.

For example: My 2002 Grand Vitara 2.0L was $6200 to purchase in 2013 and costs ~$800 a year in registration. This includes your third party insurance that covers another persons medical bills if you have an accident and are at fault.
Fire/Theft and Comprehensive insurance is extra and purchased separately.
I have a $300 excess and Full comprehensive with Suncorp (they pay the agreed price for my car if its wrecked) costs me $57.62 a month.
**THIS IS IMPORTANT** My friend from canada had his VW Bora ran into and written off and he thought he was covered, when he only paid rego and his third party. Now he has a wrecked european car and no payout even though he was not at fault, the offending driver was drunk and he wasnt even in the car.

it has a 60L tank and at typical Brisbane city petrol prices costs nearly $100 to fill and will take me 600kms.

I'm going to link this so you can get an idea of what i'd cost to insure a car http://www.suncorp.com.au/insurance/car and there are plenty of other competing companies.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 8, 2015

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

We used to not get anything, I think it started around 2007/2008? I was pretty chuffed when I found out, although wound up not taking advantage of it. Am considering maybe popping over to NZ to work this summer if I can't find anything down here though.

I am pretty sure you won't have to re-register (again, avoid this if at all possible, you will have to get the car re-inspected too) in a new state if you're on a WHV visa. I believe you get 1-3 months grace period... after that, since you're limited to 6 months at a job, I'd just say I was only planning on staying wherever for six months and then going back to VIC, so it made no sense to re-register.

Full disclosure that I have no idea if it'd work or how chill cops/vehicle inspectors are, but I have a feeling being a foreigner on a WHV would probably give you a fair bit of leeway. As another poster said though, you will probably wind up having to sell to another backpacker, it's a PITA to re-register/re-pit a car and most locals won't bother, especially for something on the low end.

yeah, pretty much, if its an old car and it lapses in rego, its regularly seen as only good for scrap. The expense of repairs to bring it back to 'roadworthy' is often more than the car. However if the car is over 35 years old it can be registered as a 'classic' and is stupidly cheap (like sub $100 a year cheap). This is for rarely driven antiques, but an early 80s BMW or Porsche could fall under this. And even gramps old holden he drives to the bowls club.
This is not a reccomendation to buy a thirty year old car.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Commonwealth bank has a slick phone app and you can pay by NFC with it.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

nice to see the auspol crew giving advice.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Hey thread. I'm planning a move from Brisbane to Canberra in May.

I'm seeking advice on moving interstate for the first time, going from a sharehouse to a 1bdr/studio apt.
Any tips on negotiating rentals in ACT, whats the rail freight like in canberra, can i put all my poo poo in a container and move it or will it be better to backload?

major furniture i have is a queen bed w/ sidetables and medium bookcase. I do have a fuckarse huge dining table (2.4mx1.9mx0.9m) but might find a taker here.
i'll probably ditch my desk and get a new one down there. No fridge, washer, dishwasher or couch/tv. Other stuff is full kitchen, clothes, ~100 books, a few computers and peripherals, a big bunch of tools, some bulky miniature wargaming boxes.

I've been told that the majority of residents move in march (march in march out for defence force people) and so post march i'll have better chances negotiating with rent prices as otherwise empty apartments will remain empty till next year.

I'll probably load my car with some stuff and drive down but what would be best for moving a motorbike there?

Whats the NBN/ADSL/Cable internet situation like? Currently with optus for mobile but theyre loving with their cable modem firmwares lately and i dont like it, but thats minor.

Who are the local goons?

whats the parking like? Is there free motorbike street parking or should I get a bicycle? How is the bicycle network?

Whats the better hospital for cardiac services?

Are there any meetups i should be aware of or try to go to for networking?

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 20, 2016

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

IPVanish

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Do not underestimate how big Australia is.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I like turtles posted:

We're going to be in Sydney from July 3-11 - I've rented a tiny car. Are there any particularly pretty places within a ~4 hour 1 way drive that are must sees?

Canberra?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Australia doesn't actually do Street food.

Meat pies, cheap lamb, Lamingtons, pavlova, Espresso flat white, Sausage sizzle and all sorts of multicultural Fusion are largely Australias iconic or signature foods.
it's hard to say we have a food identity when we are so young as a nation and formed from worldwide immigration, an aussie family will have Indian one night, Mexican the next, a Lebanese kebab for lunch, a burger, stir fry, sushi and Thai curry and maybe a roast in a week.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav, Bifauxnen and iajanus in the auspol crew byob thread want to organise a goonmeet, when are you in Brisbane?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

well with Perth you don't have to go far to see bushland. Lesmurdie up the range would be sufficient.
In the south west there are about 8 climate zones. They make for a great multi day road trip.
the jarrah forests near Nanga mill, are a personal favourite.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

Thanks for the previous bits of advice. My family and I just got home today from our 2-week trip around Southern Queensland. We flew into Brisbane via Delta, who misplaced our luggage for 36 hours. Thankfully I had planned a day for adjusting to the time change, so it wasn't that big of a deal. They returned our luggage in time for us to enjoy a change of clothes, then the free ferry in Brisbane and the waterfront area with the big wheel. We then got the campervan and headed inland to Miles, north to Emerald along an undeveloped road to look for wildlife, did some fossicking in Rubyvale, visited the Capricorn Caves, the Cooberie animal rescue park, and an AWESOME trip to Lady Musgrave Island before heading back to Brisbane.

We had some stellar campgrounds and some miserable ones, but the best part was we hit the weather just right. Right before we got there was rain, right after we left was terrible wind. The only thing we didn't plan for was all the damned mosquitoes, and we were eaten alive. We essentially ran out of time to do stuff like the Australia Zoo, and traveling with 3 small kids we decided to ease up on a few driving days and give them time to just run around and play on playgrounds and stuff.

I want to personally thank all Australians for generally being the nicest people on the planet. We had no problems, everyone was helpful and curious about our trip, it made everything so much easier to handle.

You're most welcome, I'm glad you had a good time

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

tbh, all carriers are fine, it's not like America here. Optus and Telstra have good networks and all the smaller carriers use Optus infrastructure. Vodafone had an embarrassing episode a few years back with coverage and lost a lot of customers but it's said they improved.

The only troubles you'll have is when you get far out of town.
if you are spending a lot of your time out bush; go with Telstra.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Basically yeah that's an enormous amount of Territory and best time is rather subjective if you aim to snorkel on the reef you should probably be doing it not in winter but Cairns is pretty warm year round.
One issue is big chunks of the reef may be dead before summer and not very interesting.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

How many of those 2-3 days are sitting in Sydney traffic?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

We're traveling to Australia from Seattle soon, is weed legal in Australia yet? Google's not super clear to me, it looks like maybe medical marijuana is legal?

Sort of decriminalised in Canberra.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Where are good places to see and camp in the south east. I'm travelling from Batemans Bay to Melbourne along the coast these holidays and just checking out the area.
Going to bring camping gear and then stay a few days in Melbourne before driving back to Canberra.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm thinking of driving to Melbourne from Canberra via Gippsland.
What's there to see and do there because I'm struggling to find anything except a few national forests, some beaches and a bunch of closed coal mines in the Latrobe Valley.

Seriously I'm looking at TripAdvisor and this town says its #2 attraction is a statue.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Looks like it's the alps route instead.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Yeah. Australia doesn't have issues with coverage in populated areas, pick up a sim anywhere and use a credit card to add some data. Telstra is typically the more expensive option because it used to be the monopoly telco.

Also welcome to Oz.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Yeah. You'll need a car.
Travelling in Australia just soaks up time.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I did Brisbane >Coonabarabran >Parkes >Sydney >. Coffs Harbour > Brisbane in 5 days on a motorbike.
It was pretty hell the last two days.
200km stints for fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Blend 43, two sugars and milk.
Enjoy smoko, fucko.