Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Rhandhali posted:

Well, it looks like I might be moving to Brisbane for two years to go to school at University of Queensland. I appreciate all of the advice people have posted in here, it's made researching the problem a lot easier.

Does anyone have opinions on cellular providers in Australia?

Hey man, UQ is a really good university, it's one of the most prestigious, for reasons I don't really understand in Brisbane/Gold Coast area. I currently go to Griffith at Mt. Gravatt (transferring to Gold Coast campus next year), if you have a any questions about the general Gold Coast and maybe Brisbane area I can do my best to answer your questions (as I used to live on Gold Coast and my girlfriend still does)

Also, in regards to providers, if you're living in the city most of them are decent, Telstra provides the best coverage but it's the most expensive. Also, hope you have a license if you're living anywhere outside of the city/too far from the university and/or want to travel as the public transport in Brisbane is okay, but on the Gold Coast it's absolutely poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
As for the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast debate, I think it's important to consider what type of person you are. The Gold Coast is definitely a lot bigger with more shopping and the like, more night clubs, more things going on. However, SC is definitely a lot quieter and classier. Though if you were worried about class (as in, la de da class), places such as Main Beach on the Gold Coast are full of them. I think on the Gold Coast it would be somewhat hard to find a job, though I haven't tried in things like bars/restaurants to get one I guess.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Sharks Below posted:

Lol, nope you can. I mean, I have a visa debit card (with PayPass :smuggo:) but they have those Maestro debit cards I'm p sure that you can use anywhere. Oh Suncorp!

Maestro debit card? Pretty sure that's CBA.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Mr. Crane posted:

That's what I like to hear! Thanks for the info!

Be aware that you'll probably need to contact the school you're wanting to go to pretty soon. Most uni's start up their second semester in July-ish, so you'll want to apply ASAP.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Octy posted:

What's the deal with Wilcannia?

I drove Perth - Brisbane and I remember this poo poo hole. Literal bars on every single window and loving no one when we (my dad and I) drove through the town. We were going to stop there over night (IIRC it's between Broken Hill and Cobar?), but decided gently caress it and drove to Cobar (like another couple of hours).

Pro tip for anyone: don't drive Perth to Brisbane in 3 days. I drove Brisbane to Perth in 4 and it was a lot more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Frogmanv2 posted:

Haha, that stretch over the nullarbor where it's 170 odd km without a turn.

Oh, also, get a set of roo whistles for your car. Less than $10 and the amount of roos I have seen since putting them on has dropped dramatically.

Can you give us a link?