Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I think Adelaide absolutely gorgeous. I live in Central QLD, have lived here on and off my whole 27 years (spent a couple of years in Brisbane, a few months in London also) and I really love it - but that could be because my friends and family are mostly here. Everyone bags my town but I really like it and think it has heaps to offer.

Anyway, Adelaide is amazing. If there was anywhere in Australia I'd consider moving (and I was seriously considering it after spending 2 weeks there last December for a wedding in which I was maid of honour) it'd be there. I am a big wine/food buff and there is just so much awesome wine coming out of the Barossa & Clare Valleys and great food as well. I mean, come on, Maggie Beer lives there!

I like Melbourne as well, my bro lives there and manages a video gaming bar in Fitzroy. I am just more of a small-town girl, I find big cities a tiny bit overwhelming I think because I have a large personality so I feel a bit like an ant in big cities. Adelaide is more like a pretend-city, it's not super metro and doesn't have crazy traffic issues or smog like a lot of other cities in Australia seem to. I hated Sydney but I didn't spend much time there. I felt that it was very cold and lifeless (not in temp, in atmosphere). But then again when I did my 8000km road trip last December one of my highlights was Broken Hill in far outback NSW so yeah I'm not really one to be too much into cities.

Anyway, great thread, would be happy to contribute, have seen quite a bit of QLD and had a boat growing up so we did a lot of travel up and down the coast in that, was a pretty glorious childhood actually.

EDIT: TL;DR I love Adelaide but that's probably because I grew up in Bumfuck Beef Capital and also think that is a great place therefore I am not entitled to an opinion.

Sharks Below fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

HookShot posted:

Yeah well I've spent time in both Rockhampton and Adelaide and they both suck so take the above post with a grain of salt.

Kangaroo Island, on the other hand, I would move to in a second.

That's kind of what I was trying to say in my TL;DR edit but more graceful. Thank you :)

I've never been to Kangaroo Island. I have been to many other islands though and find them delightful. Except Curtis Island, gently caress that place, loving sandflies up the wazoo.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
And wine. All of the wine.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Visited Hobart recently, it was awesome. Went around Tasmania in a motorhome for 10 days. The food was incredible.

I don't really like Brisbane that much. It's okay I guess.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

HookShot posted:

I'll probably get bagged for this but personally, I like BigPond.

I've actually gotten good customer service from them when I've needed it (our current place wasn't wired for internet or phone service at all and so we had to call their customer service line a lot) and since they own basically all the lines they can't just tell you "oh it's Optus' fault" or whatever.

Actually, same. We have the 200GB ADSL2+ thingy and it's really really good. Never have any dramas with it and for a regional area that's saying something. It's ridiculously fast.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Yeah gently caress those guys. I have Optus and it's great in most places but I went days without service in Tasmania driving around, I had some service in Hobart and Launceston but apart from that it was basically none. Telstra had full 3G most places though - my friend had her iPad with a Telstra SIM.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Honestly I'm a 27 year old woman and I would do it, but I'm fairly careful and have a decent chunk o' common sense. If you are also like that then you will probably be fine. No QLD? I suppose it will be pretty hot at that time.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Gloomiebat posted:

Yeah, I'm insanely careful. I've managed to live by myself in a city (and gone off to various other cities etc for holidays) for the past six years without getting murdered but I guess it's just the distance aspect, and the fact I've never been there before obviously.

As for accommodation, I'm looking into that now, as well as insurance and my visa and all that malarky. I've never been very adventurous and I really want to do this but I hope my enthusiasm isn't blinding me to the fact it might be a stupid thing to do alone.

What kind of places are you going to stay at? I just worry about some of the individuals that frequent backpacker hostels etc if you're a woman by yourself.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

unixbeard posted:

Really if you're travelling by yourself hostels are about as safe as you can get, as a male or a female. Lots of people around to deter anyone trying anything. The desk will have a safe or lockup for valuables, and don't go out and get shitfaced with a bunch of strangers. If you want to get shitfaced you don't need to cross the world for it.

Good post. Very true.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Sounds like you're being really sensible - that's great :)

I lived in London for 4 months and in that time I was pickpocketed three times (man they're good) and mugged once. I didn't live in that bad of an area. It was a HUUUUUUUUUGE culture shock, in my town (which, to be fair, is regional and not a big bad city) I never worry about leaving my bag on the table at bars and I sure never zip it up :shrug: Just an example.

In fact, last month when I had my phone stolen from a table while my friends weren't looking, it ended up being a US Marine who had taken it.. though some debate was had ("healthy" debate, one might say) as to whether he had done it with good intentions. I found it by ringing it. By pure happenstance I walked out of the bar because I couldn't hear the person who picked up and saw my friend's name on the screen of a dude talking on my phone :stare: Anyway that is irrelevant. Australia is pretty safe and a super rad place. :)

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
You'll be pants-shittingly terrified at first but then you'll realise we're tops and you'll relax. That kind of terror is normal in a new place :)

Yep I'm sure I had "MORONIC TOURIST" stamped on me for at least the first two pickpockets and definitely still "MORONIC" for the rest.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Is it the flight itself, or the LENGTH of the flight that is scary to you?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

unixbeard posted:

You should visit a doctor and tell them what you just said here and they will likely give you something to help you through it. If that's not your style kindle's are great, ipods and a few good magazines have also gotten me a long way. An eyemask and ear plugs are also real useful. The time on the plane is not really that bad, especially if you have a stopover/change to split it up.

Agree. Your doctor can prescribe you a sedative if you think you're really going to struggle. Remember there is a refueling stop, mine was Beijing for an hour on the way over and Singapore on the way back for a little longer. Earplugs are also an essential in case of screaming children.

You'll be fine :)

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Makes sense since I flew Qantas both ways.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Couple of pictures from a recent Far North Queensland track in case anyone's considering a trip there and not quite decided yet..

Totally croc-free, we checked before swimming.

Hard to tell but this is on the edge of a cliff looking out over Cooktown/the Great Barrier Reef.

Get out of the cottage, horse, no apples for you, those are for us.

More animals where they don't belong. On the road this time. Of course I use the term "road" loosely.

Far North Queenslanders really hate it when you hit cassowaries in your car. Heads up. Those things are huge and endangered. And terrifying.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Are you talking about fruit/veg picking?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
In our winter (April-Augustish) you'll find there's quite a bit of tourism around up north of me (I'm in Rockhampton, which is in Central Queensland, about 700km north of the state capital, Brisbane) because the weather stays mild up there. Lots and lots of 'grey nomads' travel up that way to escape the southern winter in their motorhomes. You could find work pretty easily I think, depending on your skill set/level.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Are you being sarcastic? Genuine question. Surfer's Paradise is foul. Just my opinion obviously, but I find it plastic, soul-less, vapid and trashy. And that is popular opinion.

But sure, tourist-y stuff wise, why not.

I love the Sunshine Coast.

The Whitsundays are beautiful that's for sure.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

NoArmedMan posted:

Don't forgot the fact it's a culinary wasteland

That too, it's appalling.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, the Gold Coast is arguably the worst part of the Queensland coast.

In fact, it isn't even arguable, it's just a fact. I've been everywhere from Coolangatta to Surfers to the Sunshine Coast to the Whitsundays to Townsville to Cairns to Port Douglas, and the GC is the worst.

I'd say the Whitsundays and Magnetic Island are the best parts of the Queensland coast.

That's why I thought TWM must have been being sarcastic. It's not even arguable because I've never ever heard anyone say anything good about the GC. Sure it's got hinterlands that are pretty nice (my dog's breeder lives there) but that's not coast, that's hinterland and the SC hinterland still rules hard over it. Maleny, Montville, come on!

I like my part of the coast, it may not be as 'pretty' as the Whits or Maggie but it sure as poo poo has less stingers & other nasties :)

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Eden posted:

Aussie here living in Brisbane, trying to convince my boyfriend to go up to Fraser Island over the summer. A while back we said we'd go camping around the island over summer though I wouldn't mind staying some nicer places for a couple days too.

Anyone have any suggestions for must-do's? Earlier this year we stayed in Rainbow Beach so while we never made it over to Fraser, we did get a good look around the mainland up there.

Or maybe people have suggestions for somewhere different to go? It's been a hectic year and christmas is my birthday so I'm looking forward to a special holiday on some gorgeous beaches with loads to do.

His suggestions were also Sunshine Coast or Tangalooma but we holiday on/visit the Sunshine Coast a lot and I'd rather save Tangalooma for a smaller holiday since it's pretty close. I've only moved here from Sydney in February so there are still heaps of places I haven't been able to explore yet.

Agnes Water is really nice :) It's east of Miriam Vale so a bit further than what you might be looking for but not sure whether the proximity thing is just a convenience thing or what. I'm a QLD goon as well (Rockhampton) and I've seen quite a bit of the state so I'd be happy to help if you want to go further afield than SEQ.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Eden posted:

Yep totally willing to go further than SEQ, actually starting to look at places further north now (like the Whitsundays until I saw the prices... yeesh). Proximity would have been a thing if it was a camping holiday but that was really limited to Fraser Island, anywhere else would be a hotel stay.

Trying to make a bit of a thing of it so I'd like to go somewhere special we wouldn't really take off for the weekend to (like Straddie, Tangalooma, southern Sunshine Coast etc). It's hard to make my mind up and be sensible with images of luxury island resorts teasing me :(

We do also have a sailing yacht if anyone knows of any great sailing trips, though to be honest I'm not sure I'd do so well on it on an extended trip.

Have you thought about Heron Island? It is basically the best. Not sure what your price range is, it's probably around the same as Whitsunday I suppose.

If you're not sure how you'd go on an extended sailing trip, maybe just go for an overnight trip and see how you go. I grew up sailing with my family on a 30ft catamaran and I loved it but if it was longer than a few days it sure was nice to cruise around to Keppel Island resort and have a shower :shobon:

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Is that near Broken Hill? There are a few sites around called "The Pinnacles". I absolutely LOVED Broken Hill.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Helmacron posted:

what's the difference between hugging an angry koala and spending a day in the australian sun?

not much. really. like, not a lot at all.

Cancer.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

HookShot posted:

True story I fell asleep on a beach in Australia once and the resulting sunburn was so bad that at Christmas (this was in July) I still had the tan line.

When I get skin cancer in 25 years I will know exactly what sunburn caused it.

Most cancerous sun damage is done before you hit your 20s. Most. I was 14 and fell asleep on the deck of our boat in Central Queensland, got burnt on my decolletage area, a month later had a for-real pre-cancerous mole cut out. It's loving brutal man.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Frogmanv2 posted:

Given our previous experiences with introduced species, including cane toads, its not that surprising, and I would say even better for the nation.

I was going to say this. I live in the heartland of cane toad infestation and it has been environmentally catastrophic. A few gs of coke is no big deal at all compared to an introduced species :shobon:

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Yep, I'm in CQ and rabbits are the only animal (apart from toads of course, but I aim for those fuckers and I've gotten REALLY good at hitting them) that I don't feel INCREDIBLY guilty for running over in my car. I know that sounds brutal and there's still a moment of "omg I hit an animal, what if it was going back to its family of other rabbits wah" but I don't get super upset like I do with other animals because they're loving pests introduced by morons with no thought for the future of farming in Australia or the food sources of native animals. There's also no real natural predator here for them. Dingos I guess and the larger constrictor snakes but that's about it.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Lolie posted:

...(we're technically still rabies-free although that is expected to change)...

What ... how? :ohdear:

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Lolie posted:

It moving south. This has already happened with a lot of tropical diseases but rabies is a bit more scary because we've been isolated from it for so long. Our response to the first detected cases is likely to be brutal, I suspect.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...6-1226235103495
That is legitimately terrifying.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Stonelegs posted:

What fun things would you recommend for someone visiting Brisbane for a weekend each month?

How mobile will you be when you are there? Will you have access to a car? And will you be doing stuff during the day? Are you visiting for work or pleasure?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
There was a "woofer" at the farmstay my girlfriends and I stayed at near Cooktown (far north QLD). He said he was absolutely loving it. The farm was so beautiful, I'm not surprised.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Hostels? Hmm. This is probably your best bet.

Southbank (where the conv / ex centre is) is a really nice part of Brisbane. Don't forget to make your way to West End for food at some point - it's really awesome.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
IMO there's no competition. Sunshine Coast every time. Gold Coast is plasticky, gross, tacky. Sunshine Coast is classy, down to earth and chill. Better food on the SC. Great surf, great shopping, hinterland is beautiful (as is the GC Hinterland to be fair), bit further from Brisbane depending on where you decide to go but yeah it would not even be a contest for me. Not sure if you've been following it but the crime rate of the GC is also really bad. Even been a task force set up. I holidayed in Noosa a lot as a kid and have relatives in Buderim, love visiting them. SC rules.

Full disclosure: I live in Rockhampton so I'm not biased but perhaps I'm not entitled to an opinion :haw:

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Red_Fred posted:

I'm really not sure what you mean by surf being better in the Sunshine Coast than the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast has five world class breaks and many more great breaks. The Sunshine Coast has uh....none that I know of.

At no point did I say it was better :) I learnt to surf at the SC so it's not like it doesn't exist. I just truly hate the GC I'm afraid.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

4liters posted:

I think NZ has more sheep than here and apparently the sheep over there are more likely to put out. Better climate too, most of the sheep stations here are in the middle of loving nowhere and it's loving hot and dry and poo poo. Most of the isolated places will have accommodation because driving to the nearest town is the equivalent of driving across France.

This is extremely accurate. Sheep stations here (I live in cattle country but sheep country is west of me) are in the very hot, dry, remote areas generally. Unless you go to beautiful Tasmania (similar climate to NZ but not as cold) where there's loving HEAPS of sheep and only a hop across Bass Strait to Melbourne. I'm giving some serious thought to moving to Tasmania myself because the produce there is absolutely incredible and I'm kind of a country girl at heart :shobon:

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

4liters posted:

They could really use some fresh genes down there too

Right?! I'm happy to do my part to reduce congenital twoheadedness.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Aquila posted:

I'm going to Australia for three weeks in October-November and only have plans for one week so far (solar eclipse in Port Douglas). Can anyone recommend some wilderness tours or guides. I'll ostensibly be in Sydney, but will fly anywhere else in the country to start from for good scenery, wilderness, wildlife, emptiness, etc.

You'll love Port Douglas. If you spend a bit of time in that area try to get up to Cape Tribulation. Pretty awesome place with heaps of wilderness-related activities. Do the Bloomfield Track (in a 4WD, can't stress how important that is) .. depending on the season. Could be cut off.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

unixbeard posted:

Also if you are in NSW be sure to ask for a schooner, not just "a <beername>". Some genius came up with the idea of a schmiddy, which lies between a middy and a schooner. So it holds slightly less than a schooner but costs about the same, most people just ask for "a beer" and are none the wiser. It might just be a sydney thing and i usually take it as a sign of a lovely place to be.

Ugh, drat New South Welshmen. That is so dumb. Can't play footy, campdraft* or serve beers correctly.

Schooners are fine but I'm a pint girl myself. Especially at a busy bar when you have to wait in line for a beer.

*I went to a campdraft on the weekend and there was a "state of origin" comp which the Queensland team won just saying~

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

bee posted:

I had never even heard of a Schmiddy until I started doing barwork up in Central Qld. Until reading this thread, I was convinced it was purely a Queensland thing!
I have lived in Central Queensland for 28 years and have never heard of a Schmiddy :ohdear:

E: Do you still live here bee?

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

bee posted:

I've not lived in Queensland, I just used to fly up to Emerald/Rocky/Biloela once a month, work for about two weeks then fly back home. I'd just crash at whatever pub I was working at the time. I'm from Newcastle, and I've lived here my whole life.

I actually got a few pretty appealing job offers while I was up there, and considered moving (I LOVE your weather) but had a fair bit of family poo poo happening at that point in time, so it just wasn't feasable. Maybe one day though... :)

You love the weather? Let me guess, you were here in winter? Summer is bloody shocking. Except for the admittedly spectacular storms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

bee posted:

You guess correctly, it was winter/spring when I was up there. However I really don't mind the heat, it has to get above 32ish before I start feeling a bit uncomfortable.

It's a rare day that it doesn't get to at least 32 here in summer, and the humidity uuuuuugh! But yes the weather here in winter is absolutely glorious! We've had an unusual amount of rain this winter (ie, more than none) but days like today where the fog burns off to a bright, breezy, clear day are just lovely .