Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’ve got a trip to Australia coming up in September and looking for advice.

I’ll be there for 2 weeks - planning on doing roughly a week in Melbourne, 4 days in Cairns, and 3 days in Sydney. Not sure if that’s gonna be stretching myself too thin though?

I’m staying with a friend in Melbourne and there’s plenty of guides to Sydney online, so I’m most curious about Cairns. I started looking at Hotels, and the Hilton caught my eye just because it looked affordable, nice enough, and I have status with them. But it looks like it’s in downtown Cairns, while the beaches are all further to the north. Seems like it would be a problem?

That brings me to my next issue - I’m not planning on renting a car in Melbourne or Sydney because it seems like my friend and public transport will be enough. Should I rent one in Cairns? I’m uhhh…nervous to say the least about driving on the left so I was trying to avoid it. But if it’s gonna negatively affect my time there I’ll look into it further.

Also - regarding Cairns - my friends recommended Cairns and Port Douglas and I just landed on Cairns because it was the first one I searched for. Is there a noticeable difference, or are they just two beach towns near the reef? Would anyone recommend one over the other?

I probably have more questions, but I’ll leave it there for now, those were the big ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the tips! After a little more investigation, it sounds like Port Douglas is more our speed, so we’re gonna look to stay there.

Unfortunately , that probably means renting a car while we’re in this area, so I’d better get over my anxiety about driving on the left real quick