Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Gotta fly to Melbourne for a Thursday morning appointment at the end of the month, my partner and I figured we might as well make a little holiday of it.

We're gonna get in late Wednesday night and stay at a place in St Kilda, head to appointment in the morning, then do stuff around the city Thursday afternoon/evening, and spend the night at the same place.

Friday + Saturday I thought we'd hire a car and do the Great Ocean Road (hopefully not still all flood-y). Warrnambool seems like a logical place to look for overnight accommodation, unless anyone else has other recommendations?

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

RKD posted:

You may want to check that with the recent weather (floods/rain) road sections of GOR are actually open before you leave.

Yeah, have been watching that. It doesn't matter because we need to go regardless (for a 20 minute fingerprinting session at the Japanese consulate, because :japan:), I just added an extra two days on for the GOR because if I'm buying two RT's to Melbourne, we might as well get some enjoyment out of it.

Wound up booking a night at a hostel in Warrnambool, I guess we can always take the highway there and shoot billiards with backpackers or something.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 15, 2017

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

e: whoops

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Lizard Combatant posted:

Do you like whiskey? There's a couple of distilleries near where you're heading in Tasmania that are quite good.

What distillery in Tasmania is 'quite good'?

I enjoyed the Nant tour but the actual whiskey itself was average at best. I bought a bottle of Hellyer's 'original' and it was straight up awful (although their pinot noir cask one is nice, albeit unusual). I'm pretty sure I've had another whose name escapes me that was similarly forgettable.

I saw Sullivan's Cove at a bar in Salamanca when I was out celebrating something, $35/dram. I asked the bartender and she said she'd never seen anyone have a second one, so I skipped it. To be fair that's the award winning one so maybe I'm missing out on something great, but I had another one of their whiskies at a tasting and wasn't particularly impressed.

I know whisky is one of the sacred cows of Tasmanian tourism, but my experience has been that it is criminally overrated and overpriced.

Django posted:

I’m going to Tasmania for a week with my girlfriend. Flying into Hobart (and then flying out to Adelaide). Looking to hire a car, stay in Hobart a couple of nights, head up the East Coast, head across to Launceston from the cape, see Cradle Mountain, head across to Queenstown and the Wert Coast then head back to Hobart and fly out. We’ll be staying in AirBNBs and the like across the trip.

So far we’re looking to visit.
Hobart, Port Arthur, Wineglass Bay, Bay of Fires, Little Blue Lake, a few wineries and restaurants that have been recommended, Mole Creek Caves, Cradle Mountain, Dove Lake, Strahan, Queenstown, Gordon Dam, Lake Peddlar, Bruny Island

Just wanted to know if this sounded feasible. I realise some of these places we may not be able to fully explore. I also wanted to know if others had any recommendations?

Maybe do the Cataract Gorge in Launceston, but don't feel too bad if you skip it and just stop for lunch/petrol and get out. There is little else there of interest. Queenstown has the Iron Blow Lookout to hop out and take a photo at, but the town itself is dying and doesn't really have much to offer.

I like Stanley in the NW, but it might be a little out of the way for you. Wall in the Wilderness was also surprisingly good and worth it (maybe not in terms of artistic vision, but certainly in terms of skill/craftsmanship), although it's out the back of Bourke.

Bruny Island is OK but I find its popularity baffling; you have to coordinate an annoying wait for the ferry to get some good-but-not-terribly-unique scenery you can find elsewhere in Tas. There's a car park on the Neck now. I'd definitely recommend skipping it if you're on a limited timetable.

South of Hobart can be a nice day trip: follow the coast and get breakfast at the Margate Train, then pop into Geeveston and do the platypus walk and head further south for the Tahune Airwalk. Hasting's Cave is down that way-ish and is OK, although if you've been to any major caves overseas it'll probably underwhelm.

Strathgordon is quite a detour, but it's a really nice drive out there. I thought I might want to try the abseiling until I actually got there and looked over the edge... nooope!

In Hobart, I prefer the Tasmanian Museum and Gallery to MONA, but I agree that the latter should definitely be on a visitor's itinerary (and the current travelling exhibition is good). Mawson Huts is also really good if you have any interest in the history of Antarctic exploration, but the experience in part depends on the quality of the volunteer on the day.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 2, 2018

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

inquis eisenhorn posted:

So im told that you can make good money on working holiday if you haul rear end out to the desert towns around mining areas and just work in pubs all day long. Is this accurate?

Don't they usually prefer women for those jobs?

Also, as a working holiday visa holder, you are now taxed 15% from the first dollar (no tax free threshhold) and they take 65% of your superanuation when you cash it in on your way out. So in additioned to the aforementioned cost of living, may not be as lucrative as you think.

IDK what visa laws are like in the Middle East but maybe see if you can get a job teaching English there. Or maybe somewhere in Western China, dunno.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I know, it's way too short a trip, but this is all the time we have for vacation and we're just cramming it in before we have kids/no free time at all.

I just got back from 17 days in NZ - for NZ/LOTR stuff the South Island is probably better and overall more scenic (main things for North Island are Hobbiton set and Mt Doom). Some operators have pretty reasonable 1 way fees, you might look in to driving down to Wellington and then flying back to Auckland.

quote:

Honestly I think you should go for a true aussie christmas and buy a bunch of picnic stuff and booze on christmas eve and then head to the beach on christmas day.

Yeah do this. Could watch the Sydney to Hobart start on Boxing Day?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

funny song about politics posted:

Anyway, Tasmania is a great idea and a super cheap/quick flight so that's definitely something I'm going to look into, as well as some of the sights in Melbourne and beyond. Outdoorsy things like day hikes are definitely a good option.

I do a fair bit of this kind of solo travel for conferences, and my routine for my off time is pretty boring. I love just wandering the streets of a new city and moving from cafe to park to bar and reading my book and just kinda absorbing the culture as best I can. But yeah this is the farthest I've traveled for such a thing and I'm trying to be a bit more deliberate in how I plan my time.

As the poster above me said, Melbourne's actually probably the best city for that. If you're willing to hire a car, 3.5 days is a good amount of time to do the Great Ocean Road.

Tasmania/Hobart is close and you could easily fill a couple days in (depending on your interests), although some stuff you'd likely have to do on a tour if you didn't drive.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Don't Ask posted:

My wife and I are going to spend a few weeks in Australia next month, arriving Melbourne 15/10 and departing Sydney 8/11. We're going to spend a week in Melbourne and around 5 days in Sydney and we're trying to decide what to do in between.

We've been thinking about finding a nice non-expensive resort somewhere near the Barrier Reef for snorkeling and beach-going, but since that covers a huge stretch of land we're kinda lost. Another option we were playing around with is forgoing the reef and popping over to Tasmania for a week or so of relaxation and sightseeing. More than one location to stay at would be ideal since we don't want to just get stuck at one place.

Any suggestions or pointers for the right direction would be appreciated.

A week is good for the highlights around Tasmania, you'll want to hire a car. It will still be chilly around that time, but probably not too cold.

Consider not using AirBnB, at least in Hobart. It has played havok with the local rental market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Faithless posted:

Anyone had any experiences with obtaining the tourist visas?

I'm from britain and this info is just baffling to me -

Processing times
25% of applications: 13 days
50% of applications: 23 days
75% of applications: 4 months
90% of applications: 13 months

I already got tickets for April 10th booked and I've no idea if I'll need to cancel if its going to take 13 months to obtain a visa.

Any advice would be much appreciated <3

Are they even issuing tourist visas yet? My understanding was it's just people with student visas, work visas, and working holiday visas.

Of course, AFAIK there's nothing stopping you from entering on a WHV and just forgetting about the "W" part.