Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
So I'm heading to Melbourne in mid-October for a conference. I'm living in Texas right now and this will be my first time in Australia. I have 3.5 extra days tacked onto my trip for general purpose exploration/leisure travel. What should I do with those days?

I was thinking of catching a flight to Sydney and having a look at that city, but one of the things that worries me is that having lived in Canada and the US my entire life, simply going to a second Australian city won't be the most novel or exciting way to spend my time on that side of the planet, especially since I don't own much outdoorsy gear and so I'll probably be limited to urban sightseeing. Another option is to find a flight to somewhere else "nearby" and have a few days there. I was looking at places like Hong Kong, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, or really anywhere on that side of the world with cheap flights from Melbourne. I realize none of these places are actually that close, and that 3.5 days is not really enough for the full experience, but as long as my job is footing the bill for a round trip to Australia, I might as well try to get the most I can out of it.

Any recommendations for how I should spend my extra time? Or for that matter, sights in Melbourne I should check out between tedious conference presentations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 11, 2002
Yeah I'm starting to realize that visiting Asia is a pipe dream. Chalk it up to me denying geographical reality. I was just doing some comparisons and this plan makes even less sense than someone visiting NYC and deciding to hop over to LA for a few days (that's only like a 5.5 hour flight).

Anyway, Tasmania is a great idea and a super cheap/quick flight so that's definitely something I'm going to look into, as well as some of the sights in Melbourne and beyond. Outdoorsy things like day hikes are definitely a good option.

I do a fair bit of this kind of solo travel for conferences, and my routine for my off time is pretty boring. I love just wandering the streets of a new city and moving from cafe to park to bar and reading my book and just kinda absorbing the culture as best I can. But yeah this is the farthest I've traveled for such a thing and I'm trying to be a bit more deliberate in how I plan my time.

Feb 11, 2002
Just got back from my little trip (discussed in an earlier post). Had a great time in Melbourne, though I really didn't have enough time to explore beyond the normal things in the city centre. Thanks to whoever suggested visiting Tasmania in my spare time. I flew into Hobart for a day and a half and had a great time climbing Mt. Wellington, exploring the city, and eating some very delicious food. It was a nice contrast to Melbourne and a very simple 'add on' to my existing trip. Obviously there's so much more I could have done both in Tasmania and on the mainland, but I'm really happy with how I used the limited time and resources I had available.