Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

Gloomiebat posted:

Seeing how expensive (relatively) it is to fly back to the UK has me in a quandary, it would work out cheaper for me if I booked a return flight from the UK but I can't seem to do that in advance unless there's such a thing as an open return? Don't fancy playing upwards of $2.5k for a ticket when I could snatch one this side for a lot less :ohdear:

Thanks for that link!

If you see yourself flying Australia UK and back in the future then read the thread on that link. I've flown UK > Sydney return twice in first and also over to Japan business class. All for less than Qantas or similar airlines wanted to fly me in economy.

I have enough miles stashed away to do *two* more full UK > Australia returns in first. Seriously dreading the day I have to do longhaul in economy!

Pic below from the last time I flew. I flew with Thai and the onlt plane they had going on the date I needed was an old one but still.....it's a nice way to travel when you're the only one in first class :d

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vanilla fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

NoArmedMan posted:

Ah, no one mentioned return in the post that was asking or yours. I assumed since you just had syd > lhr that you were talking one way, it all make sense now :q:

Thanks for that link though, I'll be doing that next long haul flight. Usually I just go Qantas and get seat 71D, the best seat in economy.

Just remember the air miles offer only comes up every few months and you need at least 120k (more than you can buy with one offer) so you kinda have to stockpile them rather than buy them when you need to fly.

If you must go Economy consider Singapore Airlines A380 seat 80 (or 81). I used to do this before I started flying using airmiles.

There is a small economy section of the A380 on the top deck. Seat 81 has about 6 foot of leg room and can be reserved for about 50USD per leg. Well worth it!

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Singapore_Air/Singapore_Air_Airbus_A380.php

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Gloomiebat posted:

I'm pretty inexperienced with dealing with airlines and so forth so I must ask the stupid question; how easy is it to change a booking like that, i.e. what you suggested, phoning up and asking to push my return flight back by a month or two? Obviously I expect to have to pay a fee but it's fairly straightforward, right? (I can book a flight home in Dec for £400 just in time for Christmas, but since I'm desperate to have New Year in Sydney I think I might even just book the return for a little earlier and have early Christmas and fly back out again in time for the 31st. Or just not go home at all until the year is up, I can't decide!)

Depends on the airline.

- Some do not allow it at all unless you bought a flexible return (often double the price!).
- Others allow changes but with a fee.
- Some allow changes with a fee but you have to rebook the ticket to the current value! Been stung by that once!! Only a $50 change - sweeeet!! - but now the ticket is $500 more so we have to charge you $550.

Find a price and then call up the airline and ask.

I did what you are doing last year. I had xmas in the UK but I landed home in Sydney in time for New year. i love NYE in Sydney, it's great and better than the UK.

Additionally not going home is going to save you a lot of money...unless Christmas is a magical experience t home and the parents are desperate to see you i wouldn't bother!!

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

shep posted:

What do you advise doing on NYE? It's our first one in Sydney and we didn't check anything in advance so didn't know about booking tickets to get places to see fireworks, that and the fact loads of the vantage points don't allow BYO has left us looking at going up to Birchgrove Park and hoping the view is decent enough. Good idea?

So NYE is always a personal preference. I always prefer house parties and avoid places with tickets. My cousin once got into the botanical gardens and a great spot but he had to be there from about 10am!! Mad.

I used to live on Kent Street so I would usually have a house party and then just walk down to the wharf at 11.30. Was not too busy as it's seen as the back of the bridge. Still an alcohol free zone though.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...=w&mra=ltm&z=17

Birchgrove looks OK as it's an official site - http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/vantage-points/birchgrove-park/ so I doubt the view would be bad!

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Gloomiebat posted:

Edit: I realise fruit picking was never going to be in any way enjoyable but is it really that bad? I'll need to do a shitload for the second year visa if I decide I want to do so and I just want to have a fair idea of what the gently caress I'm letting myself in for.

OK, so it doesn't have to be fruit picking it just had to be agricultural. They call it WOOFING, check out the websites. Some jobs my cousin and his gf had include:

- Helping out on a remote cattle farm. He did day to day stuff with the men, she did stuff with the women and kids. Basically cheap hired helped.
- Worked on olive farm which don't actually grow any olives. They had their own cabin, the owner was lovely and only visited to entertain them, bring them food, take them shopping, etc. He didn't live there but many miles away. I can't recall what they did there other than cut grass......

It's important to be as legitimate as possible, don't try to fake time spent. Customs will check upon you coming back into the country for any reason. They will call up some of your employers, etc.

personally i'd avoid fruit picking like AIDS.

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Lord Dangleberry posted:

Friends of mine who have done the agricultural work have always recommended doing it as soon as possible, leaving you free for the last 8 months to focus on enjoying yourself, in the comforting knowledge that you have chalked up the required work for the 2nd year. Spreading it out would be a headache I imagine, constantly having to find specific agricultural work when you may be already be settled in a city or something.

Just to add to this, the best piece of advice my cousin gave (which i'm sure I mentioned earlier in the thread).

Consider doing the three months agricultural work as *soon as you land*. This then means then when it comes time to apply for the second year visa it's easy. You won't need to move anywhere, break rent agreements, etc. You do the hard work up front :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

shep posted:

Suggestions for short term (6 month max) adsl providers in Sydney? No idea where to start but the house we're moving into next week has no internet and I've been tasked with setting it up as nobody else there is really interested in it, although they're willing to chip in which is nice.

I was always happy with internode. I went with their 'naked' product which mean I didn't need an active phone line and i think it was just a rolling monthly contract too.

Vanilla fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 10, 2013