Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

NoArmedMan posted:

Even if you need a phone, you can buy one for under $AU100 from supermarkets.

Is everything really that expensive? Is the U.S., I could buy an AT&T GoPhone for $20, and it probably already has $10-20 in call credits on it.

Are there protective tariffs on most of your imports? Have you seen the cost of imported consumer goods drop as the Aussie$ gained value? On a related note, what happens when you use your stronger dollar to buy American goods over the Internet? Is the shipping cost prohibitive? What costs get added at customs (GST, other import fees)? If I were to be living in Oz, would I be able to get my Mom to ship me smartphones and video games and laptops in a box marked "cookies" and not have it confiscated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I watched Australian Red Dawn ("Tomorrow When the War Began") on Netflix. A group of Aussie teenagers return from the bush to find their town overrun and their families enslaved in concentration camps. And their dogs were all killed and cooked in a stir fry. Representative of Multicultural Australia, included in the group are a wild and swarthy Greek peasant and a True Blue Asian with a thick Ocker accent whose parents run a Chinky takeaway.

No surprise, the invaders were Asian nations looking to force Australia to share her vast land and resources with the teeming masses of the East. I was expecting the group to turn on the Chinese guy and question his allegiance, but they avoided the obvious.

Yellow peril, indeed.