Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Is Australia an okay place to work as a programmer? Is the pay good and are jobs as plentiful as they seem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Rudager posted:

If you got a decent amount of experience with .NET or something like that I doubt you'd struggle to find work, and the pay rates are average -> above average
I've got lots of experience in Java, .NET (C# and VB, ASP and Windows), and PHP. Any locations you could recommend starting a search? Should I be in country before I start searching or is it not a waste of time to apply from here in Korea?

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Even if you can't walk into a job, there's definitely not a lack of jobs in the other industries where you can do menial work, i.e. Day labouring, or working in in retail till you get a job in your preferred industry, pay isn't too bad in most of these areas. i.e. 600-800 per week depending on hours and age. At least you'll survive.

Also if you have a qualified trade, builder, plumber, carpenter, etc, there's plenty of work in and around the brisbane area.
I think this is probably going to be my strategy. Arrive, get a crap job, then job hunt for programming/sys admin work. Thanks for affirming that this would work.

However, I still have a question: where would one live in such a situation? Would it be best to hit up classifieds to find people that are looking for temporary live-ins?

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

Mr Dalliard posted:

I had two phone interviews, both over half an hour, before I got my job offer. So it is possible.
I'm considering getting this as well and getting a Skype number they can call.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I have a question about public transportation: is it viable? I can't survive in most parts of the US without personal transportation and have spending close to two years in Korea, I much prefer public transportation.

I am well aware that I will not get laid this way.

edit: My idea is to work a respectable job but live like a complete hobo. I'm much happier with that lifestyle, so I'm wondering just how accommodating Australia might be in that way. Like how much would a tiny, lovely room cost? I don't want to live in slums (neighborhood wise), but I really don't care to live in a nice apartment/house.

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 1, 2010