Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Gloomiebat posted:

Ha I just got offered a trial shift or something on the 6th at a club (no interview or anything) what the hell is even going on. It's experience either way I guess?!

edit: they're being really vague in the email I'm probably going to get murdered, welp!

Enjoy your new career as a stripper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Finch! posted:

The CBD isn't the be all and end all of Australian cities - there's usually a ton of bars, restaurants, shopping, and services in the suburbs. Which area is the company located in?

In fact for Sydney the CBD is pretty much dead at night/on weekends. All the fun happens in the suburbs.

totalnewbie posted:

Mind if I ask how you came about the job? I am also American and plan to move to Melbourne in a few months.

What industry do you work in?

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

I'm an engineer. Currently in automotive but I'm open to other fields.

One of the Melbourne goons is an engineer - I'll point him your way and he might have some advice

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Is the stuff in Melbourne what you're planning to do or just general ideas?

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

No one loves the A League (which is on) :(

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Melbourne Cricket Ground is used for football/cricket and has museums, displays and tours.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

5436 posted:

Melbourne stuff

Yo, I just sent you a long PM with info about Melbourne, just making you aware here because I always seem to overlook my PMs

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Alan Matterhorn posted:

Alright, this is happening. I just accepted a job in Sydney, informed my current job and started the visa process (the new job is sponsoring).

Living in the Newtown area will be amazing since thats where pretty much all the goons live in Sydney - and they are very active and do things often. The thread in the goon meet forum is pretty dead but there is always people chatting in #sydgoons on irc.synirc.net

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

ANZ 4 lyfe

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Gloomiebat posted:

I found $5 at the Forum theatre a few weeks ago; brings my total found-it-on-the-floor income to a grand total of $5.60!

I wish omgz still didn't have a job so we could all meet and I'll sit on a lounge chair and throw money on the ground. It'll be like the fighting in Django Unchained.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

stratdax posted:

I've been in Sydney since Monday and will be here until next Tuesday. So far I've walked everywhere around town to get the lay of the land and see any spots I might want to explore further. I've also been to the Aquarium (which was extremely disappointing). Anyway, there's stuff to look at, but what is there to do? The OP just lists some stuff to go look at, but there's no mention of activities. It seems like the whole city is restaurants and shopping, titty bars and pizza places. I was planning on going to the Blue Mountains for a hike today but I slept in, so maybe tomorrow (if the fire gets better.) Also, sidenote, are there any big parties? I thought there would be some big clubs in Kings Cross but... yeah, I was extremely wrong about that. I'm staying near the Central train station.

Sydney is a pretty sight filled city, it's harder to find the places where people actually hang out because it's mostly in the suburbs. Melbourne is generally the opposite in that regard - we don't have much to look at but all the nightlife/culture is in the CBD area. If you want to catch up with people for a meal or drink, I'd suggest heading to Newtown, Bondi, Manly or somewhere similar. The Sydney goons are awesome people too - they hang out on irc on irc.synirc.net #sydgoons. I'm sure some of them will be up for going out to a bar or something - I think weekly trivia is tomorrow night.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Woohoo posted:

This might be a horrible question to ask, but is what's the area in Inner West Sydney where one could find most of Europeans/white people in general?

Living in Belfield right now and while neighborhood is otherwise very nice and quiet, it seriously lacks pubs, clubs and European chicks. It's too quiet, nowhere to go on friday night. Of course, one shouldn't expect too much from a desert of suburbs but still....
Muslims don't drink and Chinese/Koreans/Vietnamese - who mostly live around... I'm not even sure why they don't.

I don't want to move too far from Punchbowl, because I work there (and commute via bicycle), and I like Inner West very much, but moving is in order and some tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you move to Newtown you will be surrounded by every Sydgoon in the world. Living in Newtown/Marrickville is pretty rad also. I lived there for 2 years and had a great time. It's pricey, but if you're house sharing it shouldn't be too bad. Someone in the Sydgoons facebook group might be looking for someone too.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

If it's not the spiders, insects, crocodiles or dropbears, you'll be devastated by our high cost of living. Australia.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

I have you covered

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Frogmanv2 posted:

Goddamn that's a lot to spend on food and thats coming from someone used to Perth prices.

Yeah, thats ridiculous. I'd say around the 150/w mark is pretty good for just pure groceries for 2 people if you're one to cook at home/plan ahead/pack a lunch for work.

I also recommend Melbourne mainly because I am completely bias and think it's the greatest city in Australia. If you're Canadian and move to Melbourne I hope you like hockey so I have more people to play with.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

HookShot posted:

Seriously? I mean sure, I'd only buy extra lean beef, chicken breasts instead of thighs, etc, but I mainly stuck to the outside of the grocery stores (fresh fruit/veg, meats, dairy) and hardly wandered into the aisles. Husband and I both work from home so all our meals were home cooked except the odd time eating out, like maybe once/twice a month.

Either way, buying the same stuff is more expensive in Aus. Extra lean ground beef, for example, was $15/kg when I left Australia, it's $10 in Canada. I still buy the same stuff, and spend at least 30% less on groceries now.

In Melbourne at least I stick to Queen Vic/South Melbourne market for meat - I can get 4 porterhouse steaks, 4 chicken breasts, 6 lamb chops, gourmet sausages and 1kg of casserole beef/lamb for around $50-60. Add on say, $50 worth of vegetables and $50 worth of random groceries and that would be about right for 2 people. If theres a week where I need a heap of bathroom stuff or cleaning stuff, sure, it'll blow out, but I think a budget of 150-200 max for 2 people is fair. Still more expensive than Canada though.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Friendly Fire posted:

Hobart is also great in that it's small enough that everything is easy to get to, without being so small that there is nothing to do.

Hobart is pretty awesome, that said I wouldn't recommend anyone move there that is looking for a big city experience as the guy asking about moving here was.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

freebooter posted:

I lived in Melbourne for the past three years and was never told (let alone forced) to have short showers.

As far as I know the most water restrictions Australian cities ever have to put up with is sprinkler/garden watering bans during super drought periods.

No one has ever enforced showers since its pretty much impossible, but we did have the government handing out "shower timers" that set to 3 or 4 minutes via the newspapers at one stage due to our water supply getting so low. That would've been about 5 years or so ago. I think our water storage got down to 15% or so at that point. Now our water storage is much better and we have the yet to be used desalinisation plant. Next time around our restrictions shouldn't be as harsh.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

hahaha thats awesome.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Omgz posted:

Haha isn't that ironic, we'll have to have some more goon meets as I think the melb crew has been a bit slack lately.

We've been having nearly weekly meets until I went away, not my fault if you refuse to eat chicken and drink beer >:|

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Gloomiebat posted:

It's Sunday afternoon and I've been awake since Friday morning but Melbourne, I am in you.

(Fluid Oz is gone?!?!?)

It seems it is - I only noticed as I do the web site for one of the Melbourne ice hockey teams that were sponsored by it. Went to update the site's sponsors yesterday and realised it was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Sounds like something a terrorist would do