Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDude42
Apr 23, 2003

Inappropriate text will not be synthesized.
My sister is doing her last semester in Australia (Sydney), and I'm going to visit her in June. I'm only there for a week (I know, too short, but it's all I can afford schedule-wise at the moment), and we're trying to figure out a good short touring plan.

She was suggesting some driving up the gold coast, visiting Fraser Island, Whitsundays, Cairns. Some combination of driving and flying, but I'm returning from Sydney, so I have to end up there at some point. Having never been to Australia, I have no idea what the best options are for my short time.

One note is I desperately want to dive the GBR. It seems like the Cairns / Port Douglas area is the place to be for that. Can anyone recommend a good site and/or dive shop? (I'm a PADI advanced diver btw).

Is the Skyrail worth it while we're up there? Any other hands-down must-sees between Sydney and Cairns? Is it worth it to take the time to drive up the coast? I'm sure it's gorgeous, but I just did the whole pacific coast highway thing, and while I'm sure it's different, if I'd be better off spending my time somewhere else, I'd be curious to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDude42
Apr 23, 2003

Inappropriate text will not be synthesized.
Awesome info. Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions...it's greatly helping with my choice of itinerary (and scratching the drive). Is the diving in Port Douglas (heeding your and other's advice to head there instead of cairns) dramatically better than diving in the Whitsundays area, as my sister wants to check that out too.

Also, any suggestions for dive shops? I checked out raging thunder while looking at the rafting stuff, and it seems they arrange lots of dive packages, and the person I chatted with was very helpful, which is always a good sign. Any particular experience with them or others out of Port Douglas?