Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Vanilla posted:

With regards to accommodation I was thinking of getting an apartment right in the Sydney CDB or North Shore CBD. This means I’ll be close to work and won’t have a long commute every day. Will look for anything up to $600-700 – I can go pretty high because I intend on claiming LAFHA (Living away from home allowance) which means my rent is basically tax-free. Appreciate any info about LAFHA Logan, I know I need to make sure I get it up front as part of my contract.

Surry hills is a popular area with good bars/restaurants. Darlinghurst and Paddington also have some nice parts. If you're super into nightlife Woolloomooloo, Elizabeth Bay and Potts Point would be good, they are much safer now than 10 - 15 years ago now imo.

The north shore is um, quiet. North Sydney is pretty much a ghost town on weekends. I would only live on the north shore if i was married with kids or a hardcore Christian or something.

You should be able to get a nice 1-2bdr apartment for $600/$700 week in those areas.

quote:

What’s the deals with cars out there? Appears that cars such as BMW’s are very expensive while home made cards like fords are not! I guess they want to keep the home made market strong but it’s crazy the price difference!

There was some populist luxury car tax bought in ages ago, but Australia is quite far away from other countries so shipping can add up. You also get reamed on service costs or so i hear.

Real aussies drive utes anyway ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Maybe try find somewhere in Surry Hills thats a short walk to Central Station, then you can just get the North Shore line to North Sydney. Living near a train station has a pretty big impact on the livability of Sydney. Apartment building gyms always seemed a bit gimmicky to me, they're usually just a few exercise bikes and some simple machine kit. There's nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't really consider it a feature.

Pyrmont might be a good area for you too, the only downside being it's a maybe 10-15 minute walk to town hall station. But it has the sort of buildings you're after, and is ok lifestyle wise too.

If I worked in North Sydney and was hell bent on living that side of the Harbour, Kirribilli or McMahons Pt would do, could be a bit pricey though. Not too far to Milsons Point station then you can get to the city ok.

The CBD is fine to work in but full of tourists and not much in the way of supermarkets or parks and stuff that become more important when you're staying somewhere for a reasonable period of time. Also a lot of the cafes and stuff shut on weekends. There's some 4 million people in Sydney, a lot of them work in CBD but most of them don't live there. Surry Hills/Wolloomooloo/Pyrmont are all pretty much considered "inner city" imo.

If you're so inclined you could always cycle to work. Any of the suburbs I've mentioned wouldn't be too far to North Sydney, and you get to ride across the Harbour Bridge each day, one side of which is a bicyle only footpath.

If you get a second room as a home office you can claim part of the rent and expensese (electricity, internet etc) as part of your tax.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

TreFitty posted:

I have a question about public transportation: is it viable? I can't survive in most parts of the US without personal transportation and have spending close to two years in Korea, I much prefer public transportation.

I am well aware that I will not get laid this way.

edit: My idea is to work a respectable job but live like a complete hobo. I'm much happier with that lifestyle, so I'm wondering just how accommodating Australia might be in that way. Like how much would a tiny, lovely room cost? I don't want to live in slums (neighborhood wise), but I really don't care to live in a nice apartment/house.

find somewhere walking distance to a train station. you can survive fine, but your options will be a little limited in what you can visit. basically if its not in the CBD it wont be so easy to get to. Busses can be ok for short trips around the local area, they can also be poo poo.

newtown/glebe are great, you should check out rooms around chatswood too, it may appeal if you're from korea. https://www.domain.com.au has a share section.

if you're applying for jobs from overseas make sure you have the right visa to work in Australia otherwise you might find it tough. Anyone who posts an IT job ad gets a million applicants from people in India looking for sponsorship, so a lot of overseas applicants get ignored. Sydney has something like a 4.5% unemployment rate so finding work shouldn't be too hard as long as you're legal.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Mr Dalliard posted:

I didn't have any kind of visa when I applied. Now I have a 417 (so they can expedite my arrival) and they're going to sponsor my 457.

well that's cool. What industry are you in? I haven't been in Aus for over a year so not sure what the current market is like, but if they're hiring programmers over the phone and sponsoring them before they even meet them or pass probation gigggity drat. Unemployment rate is super low so it wouldn't really be that much a surprise i guess.

TreFitty getting a 417 would be a good idea, because then at least he can say he has a right to work in Aus. I'm not sure on the specifics on how it would translate to a 457 but im sure if you have skills/experience and someone to sponsor you it would not be a problem. Aus needs skilled immigrants!

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

yes you can. About 10 years ago I was living in London with a girl from the UK and we got a defacto visa for Aus. My sisters husband is also from the UK and he came in on a spousal visa, once you've been together for 18 months or so there's very little difference in the eyes of the law between legally married & de facto. For my app we put in photos of us together, letters we had written, just any sort of evidence to back up whatever you put in your statements.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Mr Dalliard posted:

Environment. I specialize in groundwater flow modelling.

oh, there you go. One of my sisters is an environmental engineer and does a lot of stuff with water, mainly around conservation, its a big deal here, with the drought and all.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Vanilla posted:

Additional question - what's St Leonards & Crows Nest like for living.

Company will be absed there so it would be easy to get to work, north of the river (desirable as much of my work will be North, so I should avoid the bridge).

Looks like a nice area, probably quiet at weekends but still a good amount of bars.

i hate St Leonards cause i worked there for years. lots of big soulless apartment buildings and its dead on the w/end. I am biased though, that is really just around the train station aka "the forum". Maybe other parts are nicer. If you do go St L, avoid anywhere near the hospital as it has a drug rehab/methadone clinic and you get some sketchy people around.

Crows Nest is alright, probably as good as you'll get on the north shore, but still pretty quiet imo.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Alfajor posted:

Can someone recommend something to do that's interesting, cheap and unique about Sydney/Australia? We're probably going to go bar hopping, but that's about all the ideas we have!

If the weather is nice and you have a car, go get fish and chips here and eat them by the water. If you don't have a car you can get there by public transport though it will probably take hours, so you can bitch about that like a real sydney sider.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Wollongong can be OK to. It has some really nice beaches and is pretty laid back. There are some nice places around wisemans ferry and brooklyn too, even just for a day trip picnic

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

HAIL LORD ZLATAN posted:

So guys I'm a brazilian citizen who may be getting a great opportunity to set sail and live in another country. Australia is one of the countries I'm seriously looking into (alongside Canada and NZ). The basic idea is to go to Australia under a simple study (or work) visa and earn a certificate on a skilled trade, then use said certification to apply for permanent residence. However there are a few things I'd like to ask if possible:

1- Trade school or apprenticeship? Is it something you have to choose (either TS or Apprenticeship) or you have to do both of them together?

2- While searching for institutions near some affordable places to live (excellent thread btw), i quickly realized that there is no mention of a fee or any kind of recurring payment for said education, while the international websites have a pretty big fee on them (about $20k). Is this just a tourist trap of sorts or immigrants do have to pay for this? Is there any kind of scholarship or financial assistance i could possibly apply to?

3- If i understood everything right, i will need a student visa to be able to do this legally. The student visa only allows for part time work (20h/week). Is it possible to live on part time work only? What about paying a semester of tuition fees? The course is 2 years long, and costs about 20k.

Thanks and sorry for the long post and terrible english.

You should check out this site if you havent already http://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/en/Home it will give you information including how much courses should cost

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

HAIL LORD ZLATAN posted:

Yeah thats what I'm planning to do, get a cert for a position in the skill shortage list and go from there. However one thing bothers me, 2 days a week only? In the case of your roomate, how often does he work?

I'd like to be able to pay the tuition with the money I'd make working over there. Is that possible with (what i expect to be) minimum wage pay? Also what are some good and cheap places to live?

Minimum wage is about $15.50/hr I think, which is $32,240/year at 40 hours a week/52 weeks a year. Tax on that is approx $4k, so you would be left with about $540/week after tax. You can get an idea of cost of living in melbourne from this: http://cms.unimelb.edu.au/studentservices/finaid/planning/cost_of_living/summary and this http://www.studygroup.edu.au/csu/living_expenses.aspx

I think the gist is minimum wage is enough to live off but you're probably not going to have a spare $15k/year. If you have a drivers license or can do phyiscal work like in construction (called a labourer in aus) you can probably do better than minimum wage.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Sydney people about what do you budget per week for food/bills/transport (i.e. not rent or tax)?

Maybe I should go live in Melbourne for a while, it seems a lot cheaper especially accommodation.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Sharks Below posted:

What kind of places are you going to stay at? I just worry about some of the individuals that frequent backpacker hostels etc if you're a woman by yourself.

Really if you're travelling by yourself hostels are about as safe as you can get, as a male or a female. Lots of people around to deter anyone trying anything. The desk will have a safe or lockup for valuables, and don't go out and get shitfaced with a bunch of strangers. If you want to get shitfaced you don't need to cross the world for it.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Gloomiebat posted:

:words:

You should visit a doctor and tell them what you just said here and they will likely give you something to help you through it. If that's not your style kindle's are great, ipods and a few good magazines have also gotten me a long way. An eyemask and ear plugs are also real useful. The time on the plane is not really that bad, especially if you have a stopover/change to split it up.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 3, 2011

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

taladel posted:

How popular is MMA? Is anyone knowledgeable w/r/t martial arts training in general (BJJ and Muay Thai)? I (perhaps naively) assume that there are loads of recreational or intramural sports leagues that people can join (footy, cricket, etc). I'm also interested in climbing (indoor, outdoor, anywhere), bicycling, and powerlifting if anyone can comment on these.

MMA is pretty popular, you'll be able to find BJJ/Muay Thai everywhere, and yes there's lots of casual leagues you can join for other sports which is also a great way to meet people. Climbing is also pretty big. If you're in Vic you have Arapiles and the Grampians, which are some of the best places in the world to climb. http://www.chockstone.org/guide.htm

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A rather important question though: I'm looking at getting into secondary education, and the normal qualification for that (if you didn't do a Bachelor's in Ed) is a postgraduate certificate, which is a 3 semester course. From what I've read, that transitional "international student graduate looking for a job" visa is only for 2-year courses. From anyone who's considered/done anything similar: would I be basically poo poo out of luck at the end of my course if I didn't lock down a job before I graduated? (Assuming I was over 30 and thus ineligible for a WH). I know I could always do a full Master's, but the cost is somewhat of a deterrent and I was originally planning on the shorter course.

I can't really comment on your specific question but in general I think there are a lot of teaching jobs at a secondary level (and english as well). If you're willing to move to a rural area I think it gets even easier. So finding a teaching job shouldn't be uber difficult.

quote:

How does the student visa handle self-employment, by the way? Obviously it'd be pretty hard to track the 20 hours a week. Was thinking of doing some photography to pay the bills while I was there.

If it's paid cash in hand you would basically have to be caught in the act, I have no idea how likely that is but I think it'd be pretty unlikely. Other than that they would probably catch you through your tax filings or if you bill people and they claim it as an expense there would be a record there. The tax office also knows approximately how much you "should" be making. I know a guy who got audited because his declared income was so low they didn't believe he could live on it. His excuse was he was a musician who didn't have a girlfriend :v:

If you make it to Sydney we should catch up for a beer and discuss obsolete cameras

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Oh that's right, I have a question:

I have a friend who is Swedish who would like to come to Australia. She is 23, speaks fluent English & Swedish and almost fluent German (B2). I was thinking with those language skills she would probably be able to find something in tourism pretty easy, is that correct? I read somewhere that Germans are the #2 visitors to Australia second to the Japanese. Also it sounds like tourism has been taking a bit of a hit with the strong dollar and blah blah, would that make it harder for her?

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

It's very common for engagements to be contract based, e.g. for 6-12 months. For larger companies, they will usually only engage contractors through preferred suppliers as this minimizes paperwork/tax hassles for everyone. So if you get a contract at Megacorp A, you might technically be an employee of Recruitment Company B who will receive payment from Megacorp A, take their cut + usually handle your tax witholding and stuff too.

Anyway check out https://www.seek.com.au so you can get a feel for what is out there. Julia Ross and Robert Walters are two companies you should try get in touch with (call) for a quick chat about your situation (i.e. potential Recruitment Company B's/agencies from the above). If you're being hired as a contractor I don't think anyone will be too fussed about the type of your visa, as long as you are legit to work there and then.

Depending on the contract you could always ask to go full time/get sponsored once it is up. I would not raise this at the start though, I think it can be quite a lengthy/time consuming process so better to build a relationship first.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

its only if they sit down that you're in trouble

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

There were some lockers in the countrylink (intercity) terminal but I think terrorists won on that one.

If you go to railway square (where george and pitt st meet at central) there are two hostels, wakeup on the corner which you can't miss, and the YHA which is up some stairs just before the big tunnel leading to the suburban trains in central. I'd try the YHA first.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

There is the skilled occupation list

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/transitional/occupations-in-demand.htm

There's a mining boom which has also spawned a construction boom, so miners/builders etc there is a shortage. Also farming is a big part of the economy so ag stuff is probably pretty useful.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

As a general thing I'd be interested in knowing about this too. Planning to do a Master's in Secondary Ed (Social Sciences and English). I've so far heard that demand for teachers is high (even Social Sciences, although the shortage isn't as acute as maths/science), but it'd be nice to have some more firm projections.

I mean, nothing in life is certain, but it'd be nice to have a bit more of an idea what I was getting into before I put all that money into a graduate degree.

If you look at the jobs site of the relevant state government department you can see the open positions (eg DET for NSW). I think they always have a lot of trouble finding teachers for more remote areas.

It used to be the deal that if you spend some time teaching somewhere remote/less desirable you would get bumped to the front of the queue if you applied to transfer to a more desirable location, I am not sure if that is still the case.

I'm not sure where private schools advertise but there are a lot of them in Sydney as well

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Fists Up posted:

I didn't actually know that about Crown Lager. No wonder I find it pretty meh.

I dont think it is quite true, I couldnt say about the exact recipe but im pretty sure they are brewed in different places. I havent had fosters for ages but it didnt taste very good and whereas crown is good.

Boags is my go to beer. It's more like a European lager, my dad really likes cascade but i find it has quite a fruity taste. Most of my friends drink coopers pale, which i find too heavy if you drink a lot. The tassie beers are good.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 24, 2012

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Also if you are in NSW be sure to ask for a schooner, not just "a <beername>". Some genius came up with the idea of a schmiddy, which lies between a middy and a schooner. So it holds slightly less than a schooner but costs about the same, most people just ask for "a beer" and are none the wiser. It might just be a sydney thing and i usually take it as a sign of a lovely place to be.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

The harbour/circular quay/botanical gardens are always nice, might be a bit chilly around then but ok during the day. The wind blows off the water and can be cold so expect it to be a few degrees colder there vs where you leave from.

The blue mountains are a nice day trip/overnighter. You can do it in a day if you get on a tour that will drive you there & back.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

What are you studying? If you are under 30 you can get a 12 month working holiday visa as well which lets you work 6 months at one place I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Yggdrassil posted:

Me and my fiancee are considering moving to Australia when we get our college degrees. I'm studing physics and she is studing to be a molecular biologist. What are our chances of getting a job over there?

Depends how much you like mining. Also where are you coming from?