Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

ExecuDork posted:

I've nearly exhausted the places I want to visit close enough to Hobart to do as day-trips, and it's time I started camping. I didn't bring any of my gear with me, so I'm hoping to buy some cheap / second hand stuff. I'm not going to be doing any serious backpacking ("bushwalking"), but driving to a site and setting up a tent. My girlfriend will be visiting in February, and we'll be going camping then, too.

I'm having a hard time figuring out gear and shop brands. I've seen sleeping bags, for example, for $20 new in stores like K&D Mitre 10, or $100 second-hand ("used once!!1!!!") on Gumtree. Obviously there are differences in quality, and I'm not looking for anything too heavy-duty as I'm only here for the summer, but is there a brand or shop someone could recommend for basic stuff like a tent, sleeping bag, lightweight inflatable mattress, and portable stove?

I wish I had seen this earlier as it is far too late but Allgoods has a large camping supply store in Cambridge Park.

ExecuDork, you mentioned you were working with CSIRO and AAD, do you ever come onto the port? If so I have probably let you through the gates a time or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

ExecuDork posted:

Which gate do you push buttons for? All of the gates I've seen have been either permanently open except for special events, or completely automated.

The gates and turnstiles at the port on Macquarie Point. I thought you might have been to the AAD facility inside the actual port.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Not yet! I haven't actually been to AAD yet, but I'm planning to visit for a day this upcoming week.

Almost-serious question: I know tipping in Australia is very rare, and usually reserved for really outstanding service at a restaurant. What about gate/tollbooth/bridge/ferry operators? :v:

Cabs and pizza delivery guys pretty much covers tipping in Aus unless you get some real exceptional service.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was also kicking around the idea of maybe doing a liveaboard on a sailboat (grew up around sailboats, my cousin was doing it in the US, and it honestly wouldn't be *that* much worse than the place I've got in Japan now), but no idea what a slip would run me. Kind of a longshot, but anyone have an idea, for something in about the 30ft range? I've found a 1-2 marinas online that listed prices, which were pretty lol. I'm wondering if that's maybe standard though, as a lot of the boats I was looking at were moored (something I probably wouldn't want to deal with if I was living aboard).
The lease agreement for the Hobart marina (Sullivan's Cove) has a clause that you cannot live onboard while berthed. I'm not sure about any of the others in the area though.

Sandy Bay has some student accomidation and recently the local newspaper ran a story about UTAS developing an area in central Hobart as student flats but I think that is a year or two away. I will ask around as I know a few uni students down here and they might know where to look.

Edit: Hobart Marina also has a clause that says you must vacate the berth when it is needed for events like the Sydney to Hobart and the Wooden Boat Festival.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
To be fair, when people say Glenorchy is full of Bogans, they tend to be referring to the shopping centre Northgate which is pretty bad.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think I'd have to get something motorized for getting out on the weekends/holidays, either a motorcycle and a car. I've got both right now, but I've also actually got an income :negative:

You would definitely want a car as backup if you had a bike. There are some awesome roads for motorcycles in Tassie but in winter you have to worry about ice and it can get very windy down here. ~100km/h winds are not too uncommon in Autumn and Spring.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

On that topic, the Wooden Boat Festival is on this weekend; it's a big enough deal (apparently) to have its own statutory holiday - Monday is a day off, which would be awesome except for the fact next week is my last week of work here and I've got a tonne of poo poo to get done. Oh well, I'll take pretty pictures of pretty boats and show those to my supervisor when I get home and hope he doesn't use the buckle end of the belt when he whips me (I kid, I kid - he never whips me, it's all punches! :v: )

I just spent the last 3 hours of my shift at work opening Constitution and Victoria dock bridges to let boats in for this festival. Seriously, if anyone is in Tassie at the moment, this is probably the best event in Hobart to see. It blows the Sydney to Hobart out of the water (pardon the bad pun) It goes until Monday and unless things change, only happens once every two years.

The public holiday is for the Hobart regatta which is actually unrelated to the Wooden Boat festival. They do kind of fit together though.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 8, 2013

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Australia has a skilled migration system which I believe can fast track you if you have skills that are in demand. The immigration website is a bit of a maze but as for your qualifications you might want to start here.

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/s/special-education-teachers-nec.htm

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

BCR posted:

* For about $350 you can get your crowd controller license from your state authority. Its a legal requirement for any event/facility with alcohol and X+1 warm bodys to have security. 99% of your time will be spent standing for four to eight hours at $30ish hr. Unless you're in the poorest section of town, nothing will happen beyond hearing drunks say the same lines every night.

This may not be true anymore. Over the last couple of years there has been a push to go to a national certification system for security and crowd control. It may still differ somewhat in different states but using Tassie as an example, everyone had to redo the qualifications and it cost several thousand per person for the training alone.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

BCR posted:

TAFE is cheaper than companies, first company I came across has it for $900 for training all up. Harder googling and I'm confident I could get a cheaper price. License itself is $146.

Also, if you're unemployed centrelink will pay for the course and you get it for free.

TAFE Tasmania don't offer it currently. The only other training group that do are http://www.edarto.com.au/ . Also, add $140 on top of license fees for the National Police check and fingerprinting. And be prepared for it to take 3-4 months to process it all.

Will centrelink pay anything to overseas visitors?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Alan Matterhorn posted:

With that in mind is there anything I should be sure to stock up on before I come over? Somebody told me hot sauce?

A friend of mine who moved to Australia from LA swears by this site for getting his US foodstuffs.
http://www.usafoods.com.au/Sauces-and-Spices/Hot-Sauces

You pay a premium obviously but food is more expensive here anyway.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Got my acceptance letter for the University of Tasmania this morning, along with accompanying international student scholarship :toot: Going to be starting in February of 2015.

Bit far off to be asking any more specific questions than that, but does anyone here live in Hobart? (I know there was someone in the thread there temporarily who has since moved.) If it wasn't too much trouble and you have Paypal, wanted to see about getting a UTAS shirt or something mailed to me overseas, can't find anywhere to buy them online.

I'm in Hobart. It is indeed awesome. I don't know anything about UTAS shirts as I have never attended the Uni here (apart from the bar)but I have some friends who are uni students so I could ask around.

HookShot posted:

There's at least four Tasmanians that post in the D&D thread, you might want to check there.

I'm pretty sure there are more Tasmanians in the Australia thread in LAN than the D&D thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032544

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 10, 2013

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Are there any real poo poo areas to avoid living in? When I was an exchange student in Perth I lived on campus, which as it turned out was in a really lovely suburb/neighborhood, a bunch of my friends got mugged (myself included). When I meet people from Perth they're always like "Oh Christ, why did you live in Joondalup?"... would rather not make that kind of mistake again.

We have nothing to really compare to Joondulup in the Hobart area, like was said in the other thread Sandy Bay and South Hobart are good choices. Any Suburbs I would warn you about are probably too far from the Uni for you to consider anyway. A good option would be to go to Google Maps and find every suburb within 10km of the Hobart CBD and throw them all into realestate.com.au as all of those suburbs will be fine for a Uni student.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 12, 2013

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Another vote for Hobart here. While it is getting into the colder months and really short days it's not as good, but in summer Hobart really shines with its long days and awesome food. It is cold in winter though but if you are from Europe or North America, comparatively it's really not that bad.

It's also a beautiful place to live, just don't go to Devonport.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Hobart is also great in that it's small enough that everything is easy to get to, without being so small that there is nothing to do.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Another question: what sort of deductions are there taken out of your paycheques for basic, hourly-type jobs? In the US you get some taken out for social security/Medicare, as well as usually getting income tax withheld (as well as maybe state or local income tax, if the area you live in has that). In Australia I understand the Medicare Levy doesn't kick in until much higher levels of income, under ~$18k income isn't taxed (I'll be applying for tax residency), and superannuation is on top of your salary, not deducted from it. Is there anything I'm missing? Talking Tasmania, if it makes a difference.

It should just be tax taken out. Employers have to provide a payslip(it can be electronic) every time they pay you by law. It should show your total hours worked, payrate and total earnings and then break it down showing tax taken out and your after tax earnings. It should also detail any Super contributions if you have earned enough.

If they are not providing a payslip, something is dodgy.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Got here two days ago, really liking Hobart so far. The wooden boat festival and a few other things are going on right now, so it's probably a lot more lively than usual, and weather has been great. (Tassie summer is actually pretty analogous to the Florida winter I just left.) The NSW Blues were on my flight over from Sydney :v:

Welcome to Hobart. You are pretty much on the money about Hobart bring more lively right now. The wooden boat festival is really good and is one off the best events we have (I'm currently looking down on it from the port tower).

As for the weather, for some reason we decided to skip summer this year. With the exception of yesterday and a couple of days late last year, it has been colder with more rain than usual. Just watch out for the UV in summer here, it seems far easier to get sunburn than a lot of the warmer parts of Aus.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Haha, I was looking at temps a few weeks before I got here and thinking "That's supposed to be summer?", glad to hear it's at least a bit anomalous.

I walked down to MOMA (~10kms?) since I couldn't find a bicycle helmet at the house (apparently that's the law here? My freedom :qq:), which was having a Sunday fair type thing I wasn't expecting. Had a wallaby and rice dish that was pretty nice, a so-so pale ale, and wandered the museum for an hour or two before walking back. Got crisped up pretty nicely by the sun, of course I come home to this post, damnit.

The UV index in Hobart today was 10 even though it never got that hot, I get burnt every year. That said, the weather can turn real fast down here too and it's not unusual for it to be boiling hot one minute, cold and raining the next and then back to hot 10 minutes later.

There is a bike rental place down a little alley in Hunter Street on the waterfront that might rent out helmets.

Mona regularly runs little mini-events on site and is involved in several major festivals around Hobart each year, they are pretty awesome for that. From the waterfront you can catch a ferry or the Mona Roma bus service to get there too. The museum is free entry for residents, did they charge you to get in?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
In addition to the above, the standard lease breaking clause in Tassie just requires you to pay for the Real Estate agent to advertise for new tenants and cover the rent until new tenants move in.

The advertising fee is capped at a percentage equal to the percentage of time left on the lease, so if you break the lease 6 months into a 12 month lease you only pay half the cost.

Edit: you should still get your bond back.

Edit 2: this is all in my experience having broken a lease in the past and recently reading the clause in the lease I signed a month ago. I'm not sure if all agents do it like this but it seems pretty standard from what I've seen.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 17, 2016

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

there's a whisky tour operator.

Yep, they are pretty good too.
http://www.drinktasmania.com.au

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
Also this for Tassie Whisky.

http://www.drinktasmania.com.au/project/whisky-tours/

And go to Mona. You can grab a ferry from the Murray St Pier.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

fist4jesus posted:

Not exactly correct. I dunno if they are apex or not but I've sure as poo poo experienced, first hand a pack of 50+ sudos/their kids breaking poo poo and fighting (each other) on the street.
There is more of this that goes on than is actually reported on.

I had neighbors sell up and get the gently caress out after their kids (Rangas to be fair) were attacked multiple times.

I've seen this with white people a lot too. Your thinly veiled racist bullshit anecdote isn't proof of anything.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 2, 2018

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

fist4jesus posted:

Check mate I guess.

Personal experiences are bullshit anecdotes.
And anything in the media is fake news.
Guess it isn't a problem.

brb after I go tell the people 5 door from me that were home invasioned last year that they are racist too.

No, your anecdote is bullshit because you try to use it to prove a trend that has been roundly disproven by anyone who's actually looked into it. You don't even try to provide any proof to back it up.

Your anecdote is a racist dog whistle much like your home invasion poo poo. I also know several people who have had this happen to them, all by other white people. Does this mean white gangs are terrorising the suburbs?

tldr; gently caress off you racist piece of poo poo.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

underage at the vape shop posted:

Don’t think that Telstra thing is true anymore and I don’t think it has been in a while.

It's still true in Tassie but it's gradually getting better.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Ethics_Gradient posted:

A week is good for the highlights around Tasmania, you'll want to hire a car. It will still be chilly around that time, but probably not too cold.

It's Spring in Tassie, it could be cold, it could be sweltering hot. It could flip between extremes multiple times a day or you could have a week of mid 20s average days where it barely changes. It's all part of the fun of being down here (always have a jacket on hand)

Seriously though, the flight from Melbourne to Hobart is usually fairly cheap, it's only an hour and then the flight back up to Sydney is only about 2 hours so it's super easy to do. A couple of days in Hobart followed by driving around the state doing touristy things for the rest of the week is a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

https://youtu.be/32eKGFeoQeo

Edit: but seriously, Hobart is pretty cool, as is Tasmania overall.