Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
By the way, backpackers, you could always look into the construction industry, which is desperate for people wanting to work. Like, really loving desperate. My boss got three calls on Friday asking if he had any excess workers. He does not.

I am building 4m tall and 400mm thick rammed earth walls with just one labourer and it is loving slaying me.

I know a UK'er who came here and scored a job in the city (Melbourne) that goes around $45 an hour for plastering. The competition rammed earth team is made up of kiwis, a UK'er and a Deutschlander, and they all get paid $28 an hour. This is more than office jobs. This is more than charity worker jobs. This is good money for skill-less labour.

So if you think you're just a little bit hardcore, check out construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

what's the difference between hugging an angry koala and spending a day in the australian sun?

not much. really. like, not a lot at all.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I burnt so goddamn bad once, I blackened, peeled, then scabbed up, then peeled, then walked around with patches of tender skin for ages that looked like little albino windows into me.