Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

SpaceMost posted:

What is rent like in Brisbane?
Depending on my finances I may be moving there for about 12 months for school. As an international student, on-campus residence would cost me AUD$12,000 for the year. I'm sure I could halve that living off-campus with roommates.

It's not too hard to find a place for $100-$120 a week.

Here's a search I just ran on https://www.realestate.com.au for a bunch of southside suburbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

Mantle posted:

I'm a Canadian applying to an in house legal counsel position at EA Games in Sydney and have some quick questions about job/law culture in Australia. Is it practice for professionals' resumes to be 2 pages long? Are lawyers referred to as lawyers, attorneys, barristers, or solicitors? And do your lawyers refer to themselves as "Esquire" as Americans do?

Some jurisdictions in Australia have abolished the distinction between solicitors and barristers. I think NSW still retains it, though. Lawyer, barrister and solicitor are all acceptable terms to be used.

However, if you're working as in-house counsel then, pretty much by definition, you're not a barrister.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

I used to go there a bit for work and I was completely depressed whenever I was down there. It is the type of city that sucks the will to live out of you. I absolutely hate the place.

Other than work, the only stuff to do is touristy stuff, like visiting the National Museum, High Court, etc. And I'm pretty sure that's all closed by 6pm. The restaurant district at Kingston/Manuka is nice, though.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Bummer. I might walk around a bit the first night and then just hang out in my hotel room ha.

There are some genuinely nice restaurants at Kingston/Manuka that you can try out. There's a great Portugese one (I think it's called 'Vasco's' or something like that).

Other than that, I'm trying to think of stuff that you can do after 6pm, but coming up a bit of a blank, sorry.

Pompous Rhombous" posted:

Can you freelance on a working holiday, or is it necessary to have a proper Aussie employer?

Do you mean, do you have to have an Australian employer to get the visa, or are you allowed to work independently (ie. not as an employee)?

In the first case, you don't have to have an employer (but you do need evidence of funds). In the second case, I'm not sure but I'd be surprised if you're not allowed to freelance.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

How good is your Thai? You could apply for NAATI certification, but I don't know anything about the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

A friend of mine got a Partner Visa for his girlfriend. They met and started living together inside Australia, and they still said it was very difficult - they pretty much had to provide evidence to chronicle their relationship with each other to satisfy some DIAC buearucrat.

From memory (the immigration department has a pretty good website, so you might want to check out https://www.immi.gov.au), you basically have to show that you were living together in a marriage-like relationship. That can include things like - joint bills or bank-accounts, living together, people you know attesting that you were living in a marriage-like relationship, making joint major purchases, etc.

There's probably a minimum length, too.

What's the exact situation, and I'll ask him to seek if he's able to give any answers. Also, depending on the situation, it could be worth just going to a migration agent (if money isn't an issue).

I don't know about the Finance/Commerce area, sorry. I can't imagine why it'd be a problem, though (but make sure you bring the originals of your degree with you in case you ever have to prove it).

Readman fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 18, 2010