Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Mr_Angry posted:

In particular I'd be interested in a very nice restaurant in Sydney or along the way to treat my girlfriend at--when I had business in Sydney years ago I liked The Summit restaurant but anything so long as they have a fish or chicken option (she doesn't eat red meat, I do).

Sydney has some truly world class restaurants, just depends on how much you're willing to spend - any of these you should expect $100-$150 per head minimum.

Aria
Quay
Rockpool
Rockpool Bar & Grill
Est
Icebergs
Longrain
Marque
Wildfire

brendanwor fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

SonicDefiance posted:

Tetsuya's?

Tetsuya's too, as long as you have the foresight to book at least 2-3 months in advance like everyone else, otherwise you won't get a table.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Okay, so if you're looking for a 2 bedroom executive style apartment, and your budget is up to about $700/week, I would look at the following areas:

Pyrmont
Milsons Point
Kirribilli
McMahons Point
North Sydney

These are all safe, clean, quite affluent areas and all within about ten minutes of the CBD by public transport such as bus or ferry. If I was you I'd steer clear of Darlinghurst, Potts Point, Woolloomoolloo etc - good locations to live in nightlife wise since they're so close to Kings Cross, but despite gentrification the areas remain kind of lovely on a day to day basis... think hookers, crazy people and methadone clinics. Surry Hills although great location-wise is also not the nicest area and doesn't have too many of the highrise exec buildings you're after - moreso older terrace houses and such.

With your budget, you could even very well think about looking at an apartment in the CBD itself, though I'm not sure what sort of quality you'll find.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Xamboni posted:

I'm an American college student who will be studying abroad in Newcastle for four and a half months. How do I go about not looking like a tourist/stupid American?

Be a normal person? I dunno, probably the biggest thing is to not be overly loud or obnoxious - stereotypically, we can tell Americans a mile away because you're all so goddamn loud even during normal conversation.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Xplosive posted:

I'm leaving for Brisbane/Gold Coast soon and wondering what the best bank is to sign up for before I go? Looking for one that is everywhere.

Westpac/St George (same company basically) or Commonwealth Bank are the most common.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Mantle posted:

Thanks for the offer. I am still early in the process so I don't know how likely it is I will be able to snag the job, but what would you guess the salary range is for in-house counsel with 2 years experience? Also, what is a standard (legislated?) work week in Australia? Do the "standards" vary between professionals and trade jobs?

Standard working week here is 40 hours, but the more responsibility your job involves, the less likelihood of that. Most professionals will work anywhere between 40 and 50, and certain industries (finance for example) will easily break 80 or more. Australian workers are pretty well known for working long hours.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Vanilla posted:

Yeah, sorry, I guess some additional info wouldn't have been to much to ask for :)

I'll be going to Sydney. I'll be looking to get an apartment right in the CBD. $500-650pw.

Renting anywhere within a few miles of the Sydney CBD is an absolute nightmare, with ridiculously high occupancy rates and most inspections garnering 30+ people... that is, of course, if you're looking at apartments around the average cost of $400pw or so. Thankfully, you're a bit above that so you should have a somewhat easier time in terms of less competition vying for the same apartment(significantly easier at the upper end of your scale than the lower end).

At $650pw you'll be able to get a pretty nice 2 bedroom quite close to the city - have a look at Surry Hills, Pyrmont, Elizabeth Bay, Darlinghurst for good locations nice and close (like, 10-15 minutes walk/5 minutes drive from the city centre). $650pw will probably be a bit low to get anything good that's literally directly in the CBD, you'd be looking at $800-$1000+pw for that.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Switen posted:

I'm headed to Sydney, Australia in three weeks for an entire month. I'm thinking of flying up to Cairns, staying there a bit and greyhound-ing it back down to Sydney and stopping at various places for some exploring. Since I'll be there in August, I don't know how fair the weather will be (I hear that's pretty chilly in Sydney). Any suggestions?

In August Cairns will still be averaging around 25-30C (77-86F). On the way down, Brisbane will be in the range of 20-25C (68-77F), while Sydney will be around 15-20C (59F-68F). Not sure where you're from but I can't imagine this will be overly cold for you (July is the coldest month in Australia, with the weather rapidly warming up during August-September).

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Vanilla posted:

Additional question - what's St Leonards & Crows Nest like for living.

Company will be absed there so it would be easy to get to work, north of the river (desirable as much of my work will be North, so I should avoid the bridge).

Looks like a nice area, probably quiet at weekends but still a good amount of bars.

Nice north shore areas, relatively suburban but you're only around 15 minutes from the city by train or bus so no issues in terms of stuff to do close by. Also just reinforcing that since you'll be working north of the harbour (not river :colbert:) you definitely want to live on that side of the bridge, because commuting cross-harbour is kind of a bitch.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Fists Up posted:

Manly is a lot worse than Bondi is

To be fair they're both pretty poo poo. Coogee in the east and Newport/Bilgola in the north IMO

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Argh..hh...heh. posted:

I served and bartended all through university, so I plan to work easy-to-get-and-easy-to-quit service jobs to keep my costs down. Is brisbane totally awesome and way cheaper than Sydney? Will it have less jobs? How terrible would greyhounding for 17hrs be? I did an 8hr NationalExpress bus trip in scotland and it was pretty miserable.

Brisbane may be a little cheaper but not to any great degree. No it's not more awesome, Sydney's got a lot more to do, but I'm biased. It will absolutely have less jobs though, as it's much smaller than Sydney too. Greyhounding for 17 hours would be loving poo poo, just fly with Virgin Blue or Jetstar, it won't be much more expensive than the bus ticket, it'll only take an hour, and it'll be a hell of a lot less trouble.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Rhandhali posted:

Well, it looks like I might be moving to Brisbane for two years to go to school at University of Queensland. I appreciate all of the advice people have posted in here, it's made researching the problem a lot easier.

Does anyone have opinions on cellular providers in Australia?

Telstra has the best coverage, but is the most expensive and has bad customer service.
Optus has the second best coverage, pricing is good, but horrible customer service (think 1 hour on hold to get any customer assistance).
Three and Virgin Mobile have slightly worse coverage (but still fine in any capital city), but good pricing and customer service.

Most people who aren't old are generally with one of the latter three - I'm with Three, personally, and it's fine in Sydney and roams onto the Telstra network anyway when it can't get direct reception with Three.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

mishaq posted:

After a week in NZ I'm coming back to Australia for 5 nights in Sydney for the New Year. I'm fortunate enough to have a nice hotel room downtown (paid for with points, the room rate was pretty insane) and I'm trying to plan my agenda. Definitely looking forward to some of the best fireworks displays in the world, but should there be anything else a young single tourist should look into for NYE?

Well, what do you like doing? If you like fine dining, we've got lots of that, but you'll need to make a booking ASAP. If you're happy to just sit at the harbour and watch the fireworks (along with the other couple of million people) then go for it, but you might have trouble getting in anywhere to drink afterwards, every venue in the city will be packed to poo poo from about 3pm onwards. Like dance music? Sydney gets some really good acts every NYE. David Guetta is playing at Shore Thing on Bondi Beach, Basement Jaxx are playing at the Ivy and Digitalism are playing at Luna Park. As a Sydneysider I'd say your best bet is to buy tickets to something, watch the fireworks from Circular Quay and then go to wherever you've booked afterwards, that way at least you're assured that you won't be stuck out on the street.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Fists Up posted:

You have to get there in the morning or at least early to get a good spot especially in some of the areas which fill up and close up by afternoon. Theres over a dozen places you can sit at, some of the are not THAT great for seeing everything and some are tiny.

Nah, that's not really true. Speaking from experience, the last two times I've been down to watch the fireworks, I've walked down to Circular Quay at around 10-10.30pm - so not that early - and still had a perfectly fine view of the bridge and Opera House. You just have to have the patience to squeeze past people.

mishaq posted:

These two suggestion seem to conflict with one another. If I want to see the fireworks in person, will it not be worth it to have tickets booked to an event and go to it after the midnight fireworks?

That's exactly what I said in my last post?? 2ndclasscitizen was referring to a scenario in which you didn't have prebooked tickets to anything, in which case yes, you'd want to get inside whatever pub/bar/club you're interested in quite early.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Macintyre posted:

Couple questions: From what I have read the Easter holiday over there is a huge deal and most things shut down. Is this true? Should I just expect to be chilling out for that weekend?

Most shops will be closed, yeah. Supermarkets will be open intermittently. Make sure you stock up on alcohol from a liquor store before the long weekend - seriously, unless you want to be sorely disappointed!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Shithouse, don't bother. Takes forever, pretty expensive and you're not going to have time to get off and check out towns unless you want to wait for the next day for the next train (which will make it even more expensive).

This. With Australian low cost carrier airfares, it can quite literally be cheaper to fly than to get a train - at the very least, the cost differential will 1000000000% be worth it.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

goku chewbacca posted:

Are there protective tariffs on most of your imports? Have you seen the cost of imported consumer goods drop as the Aussie$ gained value? On a related note, what happens when you use your stronger dollar to buy American goods over the Internet? Is the shipping cost prohibitive? What costs get added at customs (GST, other import fees)? If I were to be living in Oz, would I be able to get my Mom to ship me smartphones and video games and laptops in a box marked "cookies" and not have it confiscated?

In order:

No, yes, it's a lot cheaper, no, and GST is added if things with value over $1000 are shipped (see more info at http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp). Yes you could lie, but it might also get confiscated.

Online shopping from overseas retailers is very common here, and that's only becoming more the case what with the Australian dollar being worth more than US dollar at the moment. Often it's far cheaper for us to import goods than it is to buy identical goods here.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

xcdude24 posted:

I posted this with its own thread, but didn't receive a response. That being said, do any of you know anything about the Australian working holiday visa? Specifically wondering what the job search is like. I'm fine with a menial job like pulling pints.

More than half of the bar staff, call centre staff etc we have in Sydney must be backpackers. Lots of cafe waiters/waitresses etc too. So yeah, shouldn't be a problem.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

TheDude42 posted:

My sister is doing her last semester in Australia (Sydney), and I'm going to visit her in June. I'm only there for a week (I know, too short, but it's all I can afford schedule-wise at the moment), and we're trying to figure out a good short touring plan.

She was suggesting some driving up the gold coast, visiting Fraser Island, Whitsundays, Cairns. Some combination of driving and flying, but I'm returning from Sydney, so I have to end up there at some point. Having never been to Australia, I have no idea what the best options are for my short time.

One note is I desperately want to dive the GBR. It seems like the Cairns / Port Douglas area is the place to be for that. Can anyone recommend a good site and/or dive shop? (I'm a PADI advanced diver btw).

Is the Skyrail worth it while we're up there? Any other hands-down must-sees between Sydney and Cairns? Is it worth it to take the time to drive up the coast? I'm sure it's gorgeous, but I just did the whole pacific coast highway thing, and while I'm sure it's different, if I'd be better off spending my time somewhere else, I'd be curious to know.

Don't bother driving or trying to see too much, you simply don't have the time and Australia is too big. If I was you I'd just spend maybe 3 days in Cairns/Port Douglas and 4 days in the Whitsundays (maybe Hamilton Island) chilling and diving at the reef. And make sure you fly there.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

By the way it's a bit cold in Sydney at the moment (65F during the day down to around 45F at night) so you'll probably prefer Cairns if you like warm weather and beaches and poo poo.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Freeze posted:

For context, I've lived in Canada my entire life, but I'm lucky enough to have a dual Canadian/Australian citizenship. I also just graduated with a degree in Computer Science and have about a year of experience as a developer. Moving down to Australia to work for a couple years has always been in the back of my mind.

My question is: is the there an extremely good job market for software devlopers/engineers in Australia right now? I've been looking at some Australian job boards and there are a ton of junior software engineer positions with requirements of "a good attitude and some PHP would be nice" that pay 50-70k plus all sorts of other perks.

Yep, very good market for developers especially in Sydney. 50k would be the absolute minimum you'd earn. Have a look at seek.com.au which is our main jobs site if you want to specifically see what's out there.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Gloomiebat posted:

I’m planning a three-week trip down to Australia in December (currently in the UK) and I was thinking of hitting up Melbourne mainly and Sydney depending on funds and before I list my many retarded questions I think my most pertinent one is; is it extremely stupid of me to be planning to go on a holiday to the other side of the world alone? I’m 25, and female, and I don’t want to get murdered :)

(I am not as blithely ignorant as my post may indicate, I've been emailing back and forth with an acquaintance in Melbourne about basically everything as well, but I want to get as good a scope of what to expect/what to do/what not to do as possible.)

It's like Saudi Arabia here, all women must walk around with their man owner. No women here that travel around by themselves, especially not ones from the UK which are certainly a rarity in major cities like Melbourne and Sydney. I'd scratch the trip now if I was you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

You may find, since there are many more flights BKK-SYD, that it may be cheaper to fly into Sydney then get a domestic flight on Virgin or Qantas to BNE.