Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
If there are any Americans interested in a working holiday visa for Australia, there is one. It's not as good as the ones others can get, but it's good enough for 1 year. The only real limitation on it is that you can't work at one job for more than 6 months. I got mine about 2 years ago and it was around $180 Australian then I think.

It's called the Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) and you can find more information on it here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/462/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

I Am Hydrogen posted:

I'm in Australia right now on the Work and Holiday Visa (462), and it's around $250 now. You can also get the 417 after you have the 462, which will extend your stay for another year, and you can work for the same company for a year rather than 6 months. I'm not sure how much the 417 is, however. Not a bad deal though.

Wait what? Do you know what happens if I left Australia already and I've finished my 462? Can I still come back and "extend" with a 417? I'm American, of course. Sorry, I thought I'd done all the reseach that could be done about staying in Australia longer without getting sponsored or marrying an Australian girl...

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Here you go. Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding what it's saying.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/how-the-visa-works.htm

It's about half way down under Second Working Holiday Visa, but it looks like you can just reapply even if you're outside of Australia. They have a table with all your options.

Oh I see... yeah, I'm American so I can't get the second working holiday visa. We're only allowed the 462 visa, so we can't even apply for a second 417. Basically if you're on the approved country list for the 417 you can do 3 months of work in a rural postcode and get an extra year of eligibility. But I asked the immigration office and unfortunately it doesn't apply to us Americans. Oh well...

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

HollowYears posted:

So my friends and I want to go to Australia.

Problem is my friends live in a fantasy world and think they can go with next to no money and expect a job waiting for them there with no return airfare. I'm the cautious one so if we decide to go I will have tons of money in my bank and have all of my bases covered so I can actually enjoy myself there.

I told them it's fairly expensive to do things there and depending on the season it can be even more expensive. Is this idea feasible or should I find new travel partners?

edit: I also educated them on the working holiday visa and how it works and that you need to prove that you have x amount of dollars and they still don't believe me.

I went over 3 years ago with not too much money - definitely much less than the visa required (although I had a letter from my parents' bank saying they had enough and would back me up) - and I never got asked for any proof. Granted, I was able to stay with some friends and not have to pay rent for a month. But there are some temp agencies that are useful to go with. I worked with Julia Ross and Hallis - they have branches in all the major cities I believe. I also went through Geoffrey Nathan but they're a little different. They use some loophole or something to allow you to pay slightly less tax, but in the end it's not really worth it because you get all your tax back anyway.

I'd suggest to send all your information to the big temp agencies, and to some of the ones more unique to the city you'll be in (if you plan on working in a city). Send it to them even before you leave your home country, that way you can hit the ground running and have the interview as soon as you get there. Those temp agencies were always really good at finding me work, and even now I still get the occasional email asking if I'm available for work. I never had to wait more than 2 weeks after the interview to get even a little bit of work. It'll obviously be easier for them to place you if you're willing to stay somewhere for at least 3 months or something like that. But when I was in Brisbane, for example, Julia Ross offered me some easy paying job for a few days to help usher the big Brisbane tennis tournament. And Hallis would call me every once in a while to do a mail drop where we'd walk around a suburb, putting notices from the Brisbane City Council into every mailbox we came across for $25 an hour. They'd only last a day or two, but it's great if you don't want to work too much or want to supplement a hospitality gig. As for Geoffrey Nathan, they're OK if you have nothing else - they placed me into two call center jobs. The first one was $27 an hour and the second was $23. But if you can get a job through another agency, you'll get back a lot more tax at the end of your stay.

Of course, you have to be really flexible when it comes to those temp jobs. The three or four main ones I had lasted for at least 2 months, but they were always week to week, so we were never 100% sure if we'd be there 2 weeks later.

edit: Sorry, I don't really mean to suggest that your friends' idea is a very good idea, because if I had to do it over again I would go with more money.

LosMein fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 31, 2010

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Just to let you know, if you're doing the Working Holiday visa (or Work and Holiday visa), you don't only have to bartend, wait tables, or pick fruit if you don't want to. When I was there, I signed up with some of the big temp agencies and I got work through them. Mostly call center stuff, but it wasn't too bad and it paid pretty well.

Also, thanks for that spousal information. It might come in useful for me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

HookShot posted:

It might also be cheaper to go BKK -> OOL on like Air Asia, and then wander up to Brisbane, but if I remember right getting from the Gold Coast airport to Brisbane can be a bitch on public transport, so make sure you've figured it out before hand.

(The trip by public transport between these two airports shouldn't take more than 2 hours at the very most)

I'd recommend the AirAsia route. It looks like now they even sell connecting flights, which is ideal if you want to go from Bangkok to the Gold Coast. There are minivan shuttles that go between OOL and the Brisbane CBD that are around $40 one way. Not super cheap, but not too bad. Also, the Gold Coast airport actually closes at night so don't plan on spending the night there.

But yeah, it's a 8-9 hour flight from Kuala Lumpur to the Gold Coast, so it's not like a little diversion.