Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Anyone have any experience with the Partner Visa? That's the one where you have to be in a 'de facto relationship' for a year with an Australian and living together as a couple for a year, to get a residency permit. Seems a bit difficult to prove if you're living together outside Australia.

Also, how do University degrees and work experience from overseas look to prospective Australian employers? (Finance/Commerce area, specifically). Is it a big disadvantage, or fine if it's from a decent institution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Yep, I checked out all the forms on the website - massive bureaucracy.

I'm an Australian citizen, she has EU citizenship. We are living together in the EU (not in her country though), and when we apply we'll have been living together for a year.

One crazy thing is we need verified statements from Australian citizens that we're in a marriage-like relationship, which I can only get from one or two Australian friends here in Europe. I think a migration agent is our best bet, but I was wondering indeed how difficult it was. Is it even possible to prove cohabitation outside of Oz? Her country is not eligible for a working holiday visa.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
I'm moving to Melbourne at the start of next year. I'm going to be studying postgrad at Monash's Caulfield campus (the 2nd biggest campus, not the main one).

I'm not sure about the student accommodation on offer there. On one hand, student living is usually pretty awesome (though I've never done it in Australia). On the other, Caulfield and the surrounding areas seems to have absolutely nothing to do for a single 24 year old guy, and I've always found myself happier living in busier central areas and sadder living in family suburbs. I'm considering saying "screw it" and looking for a place in St Kilda, Collingwood, Brunswick or anywhere nearer the CBD where there is life for a kid like myself.

Can anybody give me any advice? I don't suppose anybody could share any knowledge about living around the Caulfield area, or in Monash uni accommodation?

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen

Bulging Nipples posted:

Any Melbourne goons know of bars that regularly show UFC fights? Trying to catch a fight tomorrow.

The Skinny Dog in Kew, I believe.