Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

tuckfard posted:

So I got a letter in the mail from Insurex Inc. It states the following:

Then at the bottom theres the spiel about it being from a debt collector, an attempt to collect a debt, and how to dispute.

Now, I was uninsured at that date, however, I did not get into an accident on that date.

In fact, I have never, ever, been in an accident or anything resembling an accident or anything that might require a filing.

Is this BS? The Statement date is December 18, 2009. As of a few days ago nothing new is on my credit report. I'm worried since I was in fact uninsured for a little bit, but should I just send in a dispute letter and go from there?

I'd imagine they'd have to prove said accident took place. Someone can probably tell you the proper legalese to say "prove there was an accident by sending me a copy of the accident report."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
So a bit of a question related to this thread. My mom is seperating from her 2nd husband. 60% of their combined income was his. So now she has a lot of debt in her name, and not enough income to satisfy it all.

1. We are in the process of getting her a lawyer. She has no money, and legal aid is really drat busy.

In the meantime until we can consult with a lawyer, she can't afford to pay her rediculous 12ish credit cards, a huge unsecured loan, 2 cars, mortgage, and her utilities.

Basically we figured out she can afford her utilities, mortgage, 1 car payment, and thats about it. She found someone to buy her house, as my sister is going to provide her a place to live. She's going to end up with about $9,000 from the sale of the house before taxes, which we will use to pay down some debts, but its not enough.

Should she just stop paying her unsecured debts while she's in the process of getting a lawyer and most likely filing for bankruptcy?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

amateur economist posted:

Ask the lawyer, but a lawyer will almost always recommend this

Its hard to ask the lawyer before you have the lawyer.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TWiNKiE posted:

So he has most of the money, and everything was in her name? :confused:

Assuming they're joint assets / debts, it's in both of their best interests to pay as normal. Otherwise, both of their credit reports are going to get trashed.

There is 1 mortgage in her name, 2 cars, about 12 credit cards, and 1 unsecured loan. He has some credit cards in his name, but that is it.

He had filed for bankruptcy in the past, and had bad credit. This is what my mom tells me. They both work slightly above minimum wage retail jobs, but he is also getting SSI benifits (he's 70 something). So most of the bills they wracked up while married the credit for all of them was taken out in her name, since she had good credit and he did not. Of course in hindsight, this was very stupid on my mothers part. I'm not claiming she is a victim, she has made a lot of bad mistakes to get to where she is now. I told my sister, if this was anyone other than my mom I'd tell them good luck with that mess. So yes, he made 60% of the income, and most of the debt is in her name.

They are now seperated, he is elsewhere, and will not give her any money to pay any of the bills they accumulated while married since they aren't in his name. She has about 800-1000 more in bills to pay each month than she makes, so just pay as normal is not an option right now. I fully expect her credit to be trashed. She is very stupid with credit, and the harder it is to get someone to lend her money, the better off she'll be. My siblings and I will make sure she is provided for, she just needs to get this mess cleaned up.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 8, 2010

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Rusty Shackelford posted:

How old is she and what types of credit do you see her needing in the future?

She is 61, and the only thing I can think she could need credit for in the future would be for a car. She has a car now, and its in decent shape, but she'll probably need another one at some point in the next 3-6 years.

Her spending is due to stupidity, low income, and her soon to be ex-husband somehow put thousands of dollars worth of gambling debts on credit cards. Her utilities plus her car and her mortgage add up to about 780 per month. Figure in gas and food and medicine, I estimate about $900-1000 a month. She takes home about $600 every two weeks.

She has like 12 credit cards with debts totalling about 12k, a unsecured loan worth about 18k which has a $420/month payment. I have no idea what this is, other than its not from a bank, its from a credit place, and it has some CRAZY interest rate. Like 18% or something. Plus a second vehicle payment that is for the car her estranged husband is driving. We need to get it in his name which is unlikely due to his bad credit, or just let the bank take it.

I'm estimating we'll be able to get her with a lawyer late this month or next month, but in the meantime I am wondering whats going to happen, because there are bills that just have to go unpaid for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TWiNKiE posted:

Bankruptcy is pretty much it.

If he's low-income and on SSDI, she's not getting a fat alimony check. Her income alone doesn't come close to covering her expenses, based on the numbers you've provided.

Right off the bat, her most basic living expenses are $1,680 - $1,780 on $1,200. I'm taking what you said at face value, so I'm assuming that doesn't cover things like clothing, any entertainment, etc. She's working with a $480 - $580 deficit before we even talk about another $40,000 in unsecured debt (and if she's got 12 cards with $12k in debt, that paints the picture of multiple subprime cards with APR's in the high 20's).

No amount of legal fuckery is going to make twelve credit cards, an auto loan, and a personal loan go away, and modify a mortgage, and modify another auto loan, and make food and medicine cheaper.

Thats pretty much what I figured. My brother and my brother-in-law are both going "she can't do that she'll have bad credit/a bad reputation!" I'm telling them and her to just face reality, she's in the hole.

One other odd question, one of her credit cards is with Walmart, who she works for. My sister thinks she could have a problem if she stopped paying that one. Any idea? Will Walmart come after her through her wages since she is an employee?