Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

So I woke this morning to a notification of a new item on my credit history. There was a $4,000 debt collection charge from my former property management company I lived at before subleasing to an old coworker. I called them up and they said the guy I subleased it to abandoned the property and left damages and unpaid rent I was responsible for. They had never tried to call me but they had emailed me at an old email address I don't use anymore. The debt collection company had only tried to email me too. I did check the old sublease and it said I would be responsible for any unpaid debt/damages for the duration of the sublease. I'm upset they never called me because I know they both have my phone number and I would have addressed it sooner. Anyway, my credit rating dropped over 100 points and I'm pretty shocked and not sure how to deal with this. I haven't contacted the debt collection agency as I've never had an unpaid debt before and this is all new to me.

edit: I guess the debt collectors dinged my score back in May and I'm just now finding out because of an email I got from Experian. I found the old emails the debt collectors sent me and they're using an address that I haven't lived in since 2017 so I guess that's why I never got any letters from them?

Death By Yogurt fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU