Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm not sure if this goes here, but hey.

If a random person with debt gave a fake phone number to her financial institutions and numerous debt collectors have been trying to get ahold of her through that fake number, is there a way to get them ALL to stop? Because that fake phone number was mine, and they have been calling me from dozens of different numbers for nearly 4 freaking years, "Melissa Trevino" you bitch.

Is there a national stop-calling-me list for situations like this, or do I have to change my number/wait another 3 years for it all to fall off Melissa's credit report (if that's even how it works) ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Fuuuuuuuuck.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I guess I will start asking for their information when they call, I'm not convinced they are all the same company though. Usually when I say to stop calling they do listen, but it picks up again in a month or two because I assume they've sold it to somebody else who is now trying. If I were a shady company I would sell off the useless phone number to rid my hands of it, too.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Repost from legal thread in A/T:

quote:

I got a letter/invoice in the mail from a private parking lot company with a photo of my car entering their lot and then exiting 20 minutes later, asking for $87 for not paying posted parking fees. A couple months later I received a letter from a law firm trying to collect on the debt, with instructions how to dispute the debt, else they will assume their information is correct and continue trying to collect.

I’m 99% sure this is bogus as I personally did not enter into a contract with this company in any way (fun fact: I was not driving this car on this day!) and the car was never parked, just idling with someone inside who would have simply left if there was an attendant or tow truck coming. I’m 99% sure they legally must collect from a specified person, not just a car(update: maybe not true), and they are unaware of who was driving that day because they never spoke to that driver. They just mailed to the person on the title (me) and hoped to get lucky.

Everything I have found online says since it's a private business, not a government entity, it's not a parking citation or fine, it is a "breach of contract" and so like a thing for my credit report. Everything I've found in anecdotes (a bunch of stuff on reddit but no sources) says to ignore it. Like, not a single poster says they've ever had something bad happen to them not paying it. But legal thread on SA says to just pay it. I probably will call, ask for forgiveness that it was 20 minutes and the car was idling trying to figure out directions downtown, and to please just allow me to pay the normal parking rate. If they say no, I'll probably just pay the $87.

At this point I'm mostly just curious how this is interpreted in the context of debt collection, if I were stubborn. Could I dispute it and could they truly validate it if I didn't sign poo poo? I currently don't see it on my credit report. Also, my credit is frozen with all 3 - is it even possible for it to get added to my credit report?

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 11, 2024

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Thank you! I'll write a letter disputing it, and see what happens.

"Dear Mr. Assbutt, I was not driving my car on that day but the person who was says they did not park in your lot. They may have passed through it while recalculating directions to your mom's house on their navigation app but the car did not park." Or maybe just the first part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Ashcans posted:

maybe they'll send you timestamped photos of the car entering/etc.

Mentioned it in my first sentence, but they already did that in the first letter. I’m not sure what other kind of validation I’d be asking for to be honest. I’m mostly just salty because of the 20 short minutes, idling in an empty lot with people inside the vehicle who were trying to figure out where they were going. Like, people idle in front of stores to pick up a friend but if someone comes by saying hey you can’t park here, they just drive away and no money is exchange. That’s what this situation feels like, so it feels salty. I honestly personally don’t consider that “parking” either, to me parking is leaving your vehicle somewhere while you go patronize a business nearby, but I guess it is.