Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kicktd
Jul 6, 2007

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it.
I just read the first page of this thread and it comes to me at a good time. I have had debt for about 3-4 years now due to me not being able to work, it took me 1 1/2 years to get on SSI for some form of income so I can actually help out with paying my share of things as this whole time my wife has been so great in working and helping make ends meet. Well I called up the biggest person I owe debt to ($22k) for student loans as I had defaulted on them. After getting in contact with them they agreed to wipe my credit report clean of showing it being defaulted and report it as being current, they said it would take about 9 days to show up correctly on my report. So that's one small victory I have thanks to this thread.

I believe in paying off my debt to them as they have been nothing but great and willing to work with me on getting it all straightened out, but I don't like dealing with collection agencies that treat me as human garbage and threaten me.

I've had some scum debt collectors call me in the past trying to milk a payment out from some other debts I owe, even using the well you're going to be getting served threat several times, have yet to be served any papers.

With the student loans out of the way all I have left is a $219 debt for a power bill and last month it showed they charged off the $9k in debt for a car that got repossessed 3 years ago, Statue of Limitations in my state is 3 years so not sure if they are going to sell the debt (most likely) to a collection agency or just consider it a loss.

Question for the OP: Is the $219 debt even worth writing the collection agency a pay for delete letter (I C Systems Inc.) or should I not even bother with it? I haven't gotten any letters or any type of contact from them on it so I'm not even sure they've tried to collect on it!

I'm hoping by doing payments on my student loans it will help me actually start the process of repairing my credit since I know it's going to be a long road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU