Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

What would happen if you were to move back to the US?

Creditors could potentially serve him papers and if there was a judgment against him in court, it might be possible for the court to take US Bank accounts and garnish US wages.

Although I think that in debt cases, if they can show that you have a lot of money hiding overseas, you can be hit with contempt of court charges if you refuse to pay after a judgement. I'm not sure, I don't really know the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

TWiNKiE posted:

If the defendant has a good reason (documented illness, loss of work, other clear inability to pay), there's not much that can be done. But if the defendant is just not paying, he or she could be hit with a contempt of court charge (though the person would probably need to be a smartass to the judge, or a complete douche for this to happen) and could be looking at garnishment.

Yeah, if you go in front of the judge and say "Sorry judge, as you can see, I have no assets" and the plaintiff can show evidence that you have 100k squirreled away offshore, that's the situation in which I believe you can be hit for contempt.

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

jassi007 posted:

Should she just stop paying her unsecured debts while she's in the process of getting a lawyer and most likely filing for bankruptcy?

Ask the lawyer, but a lawyer will almost always recommend this

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh
From a recent NYTimes Article

quote:

Out-of-statute debt is readily available on various Web sites that cater to the collections industry. For instance, a Chaska, Minn., company called Credit Card Reseller is offering an $8 million portfolio of Bank of America credit card accounts, which on average have a balance of $4,981 and were written off by the bank in 2003.

The expected asking price is $16,000, or two-tenths of a cent for every dollar owed.

:wtc: That's some insane margin. You could make a FORTUNE being polite and offering to delete for 10-50 bucks (all that is required is not responding to Equifax right?).