Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It may not be yours, I get a ton of collection letters for some shitfucker who gave my address out for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drat Bananas posted:

Mentioned it in my first sentence, but they already did that in the first letter. I’m not sure what other kind of validation I’d be asking for to be honest. I’m mostly just salty because of the 20 short minutes, idling in an empty lot with people inside the vehicle who were trying to figure out where they were going. Like, people idle in front of stores to pick up a friend but if someone comes by saying hey you can’t park here, they just drive away and no money is exchange. That’s what this situation feels like, so it feels salty. I honestly personally don’t consider that “parking” either, to me parking is leaving your vehicle somewhere while you go patronize a business nearby, but I guess it is.

It's probably an automated camera that captures entrances and exits with an ANPR and compares that to a record of payments made at the kiosk or app. They likely have a 5 minute grace period so they don't get send notices to attempted customers who pull in, find that the lot is full, and leave without paying but I have to admit, 20 minutes is a long drat time to punch an address into a smartphone map app and likely exceeded any freebie time programmed into the system.