Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

Regarding student loans, you're hosed. Those will never, ever go away (you can't even discharge them in bankruptcy) and they'll go after you in a lot of ways. Typically they just take your tax refund until the debt is paid off but sometimes they can move to garnish. Not much you can do besides ask if they'll do a payment plan instead, really.

What can you do when a student loan company is demanding payment while you're enrolled full time in school and you've sent them evidence of such (and have the return receipt card showing they got it?). They were ringing a cell phone 10 times in a 5 hour period last Friday and won't take no for an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LorneReams posted:

Oh cool, I have a court order from AT&T to pay me from small claims court ($350). How can I have Randall Stephenson arrested?

They never showed up to a single hearing.

This is from a little bit ago... but can't you get your county sheriff to go down to your local AT&T store and yank $350 out of their registers? You have to file something to get it done obviously.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dvgrhl posted:

Are you over 18? If so, sounds like someone is fraudulently using your credit. You unfortunately have a tough decision if it is your parents. You'll have to press charges against them most likely before the credit card company will remove any debt attributed to you. You do need to do something about this though to put a stop to it right now.

Ask your parents about it. If they deny it, then let them know you're glad because you're going to report it to the police and dispute the debt with the credit card companies. But you should probably give them a chance to own up to it and fix the situation if you think it could be them.

Its also quite possible that they just confused you with your parents. I went to school with someone who has the same name as his father and grandfather and he had accounts on there at random from both generations. Though, in his case that caused his credit score to be over 800.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yarrbossa posted:

There's no way my wife will file a police report against her mother. It's out of the question as far as she's concerned. If this ever happens again, things might change but she doesn't want to get into that situation and possibly ruin her mothers relationship with our daughter.

Gotta love how kids defend their parents when they commit felonies against them.