Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuck Everlasting
Feb 4, 2008

I've let myself get into some pretty obnoxious medical debt over the last few years, and I've been dealing with the repercussions since. I was sued by a debt collector for a few thousand, defaulted and paid them in full. Lesson learned, right? Not a week later I get a notice regarding another balance they're trying to collect. I tried a different approach this time, asking for proof in writing and such. Unfortunately, they complied as they have all their ducks in a row. Stupidly I let time go after they responded to me, and they're suing me for this balance now. They're a law firm that specializes in debt collection, and they've been doing so for decades, so I don't really feel comfortable going against them in small claims court by myself. The account is a little over $2,400, by no means something I can pay even a fraction of up front. How should I smartly proceed from here? Is it worth lawyering up, or is fighting it in small claims court by myself an easy enough feat? My hang up is that I can't really argue against the debt, and the collectors have done nothing illegal in their interactions. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU