Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoochBag
Mar 10, 2008

All right! Let's go get some men!
I've been making $100 monthly payments to MRS Associates for a Chase account I defaulted on in 2007. Before they contacted me, they had actually gotten ahold of my parents who then called me about it. This happened a few times. I asked them not to contact my parents any more, and they haven't since. Knowing now that contacting friends or family about your debt is a violation of the FDCPA, do you think it's plausible to use that against them? If so, how? Or did that go out the window when I started making payments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoochBag
Mar 10, 2008

All right! Let's go get some men!

CubsWoo posted:

Possible, but very, very difficult due to the time in-between. You can still ask them to validate at this point, regardless of your payment status.

I only started making payments in July of 2009, which is when they began contacting me. I've now paid them $900 of a $2,199 debt. Does that change anything at all with my previous question?

Edit for original question: "I've been making $100 monthly payments to MRS Associates for a Chase account I defaulted on in 2007. Before they contacted me, they had actually gotten ahold of my parents who then called me about it. This happened a few times. I asked them not to contact my parents any more, and they haven't since. Knowing now that contacting friends or family about your debt is a violation of the FDCPA, do you think it's plausible to use that against them? If so, how? Or did that go out the window when I started making payments?"

GoochBag fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 26, 2010