Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimateKO
Mar 31, 2008
I live in Florida and I owe about $11k on a Bank of America cc, Iv been seriously considering just stop paying this car because in a nutshell, Im drowing.

what kind of advise could you guys give me on this issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimateKO
Mar 31, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

This, on the other hand, is terrible advice. Especially in today's climate regarding the use of arbitration. UltimateKO, check to see if your BoA card has pushed through a 'Change in Terms' notice recently. If you've been keeping good records of the items you've received from the company, you'll have a copy of it. If you haven't had your terms changed recently, you're in luck, and you should stop paying on the card. If they pursue you for the debt (and they will, trust me) mention in any letters to them that you will choose to elect (and use 'elect,' that's important) arbitration to settle the matter privately. This sucks BoA into a black hole that they likely will not get out of - they need to pay for nearly the whole cost of the proceedings (you pay $250, and if you're at 300% of the poverty line or below, you get a waiver - AND BoA, as per your agreement, may need to forward you the money to begin as per the contract language!) and the climate of arbitrators has shifted very pro-consumer. BoA will not want to throw $50000 and years of their time into arbitration to get your $11k, trust me. I've recently dealt with them for an amount close to what you owe, and they've thrown up the white flag.

I have already called them and set up a payment plan, which was about a year ago, but life never goes as planned, my wife needed a car and now we have another car payment that was unexpected. Can my account still be arbitrated even though the cc is technically "closed”?