Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

My wife has a judgement against her in the amount of 3683. I just got off the phone with a secretary at the law office and they want about 5300. I found the amount a little more than absurd, especially when I called with the intention of paying off the full amount of the original judgement since we can afford it now. The lawyer handling the account is supposed to call me on Monday and I'm expecting something of a disagreement.

They've been attempting to get a wage garnisment against my wife for a few months, we tried to negotiate with them but they are brutally difficult to work with. Not trying to negotiate a lower amount but we wanted to set up a payment system that didn't bankrupt us. Her job just keeps forwarding the letters to her and the law firm recently starting hitting up our credit union for her account info and direct deposit history.

I honestly want to take care of this account but these bastards want to add on an absurd amount. Whats my best method of dealing with these guys?

Also, is it a good idea to try and deal with the original credit card company to settle for the amount of the judgement or is that a waste of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

They do feel like they're legally entitled to more, they mentioned multiple filing fees etc... My wife and I talked about it and we're just going to pay the outstanding amount they want before it gets any higher and just be done with it. Mainly because we want it done with and the whole reason we're even serious about it now is because we want to get a bigger house and this is literally the only negative thing on her credit other than a few medical bills that we weren't aware of.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

I just got verification over the phone from the "law" office that they got the check for the full amount they wanted and closed the account. How long does that take to show up on our credit report?

On a side note, what a huge loving pain in the rear end it is to get these people to answer the damned phone. Endless robo calls to our cell phones but when you actually want to talk to them they act like they're doing a favor by just answering the phone. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

So my wife and I are systematically paying off all of our bad debt in order to get a bigger house. The law firm that had the one big item ($5300), apparently pulled my wifes credit report when we paid them off, bought a bad debt from someone else and tacked on 400 bucks in fees. Is there any damned way this is legal?

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

So if I pay off the collection agency that holds the account for a credit card we used to have, does the original credit card company update that the acct is now paid off on my credit report?

If it doesn't show as paid off, will disputing it with proof of paid in full from the collection agency do anything?