Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I have a bit of a twist. I'm in Ontario, Canada.

I'm dealing with a service that I cancelled months ago, but that continues to charge me. They literally tell me yes it's cancelled you're good don't pay, and then the charges reappear. I have repeatedly cancelled, and can prove as much with recorded calls and certified mail.

They're now threatening to send it to collections.

Ideally the company ceases to be incompetent but given they have told me explicitly this is taken care of only for nothing to change, I'm not holding my breath.

So I'm trying to figure out what to expect and what I might do next.

IF this went to collections, and given I can prove I shouldn't owe this, I'm imagining things go through the whole process leading to me showing up in court before a judge who finally heard the recording and tells them to piss off. I'd be following thread rules in terms of getting in writing, communication timelines, etc. The debt collector can then take it up with the service provider if they don't like that they were sold a fake debt.

If I wanted to then get reimbursed for my time and expenses in dealing with this, if any, I'd probably have to do small claims against them separately?

Is there anything I can do to get ahead of this? Would a lawyer be able to help? Maybe just a sternly worded letter? What kind? The case seems small and my googling seems to show mostly lawyers for hunting debts down. Im also unsure if they can help since I've yet to be damaged in any way... But I will be if there's a ding on my credit score when I go for mortgage renewal 😕.

Im in touch with the appropriate government consumer agencies but they are excruciatingly slow to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU