Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

This thread is awesome and super-informative.

After being in the hole for low 5 digits, I've got but one debt left (woo!), in the neighborhood of $3000. This was originally a credit card, which got sold to a debt collector. Then that debt collector sold it to another one, and they sold it... I ignored this thing for years, so I couldn't even tell you how many times it got sold.

I finally have my act together financially to take care of this big one, and started making payments last year. Then the poo poo hit the fan this summer, and I haven't made a payment since June. The jerks called my mom (I'm in my 30's, so this was pretty embarrassing; I was hoping she wouldn't find out), so now I've got a fire under my rear end to take care of this.

Here's the thing: I just ran my free credit report, and I don't see this debt anywhere. I see the original cc account, which is listed as "transferred/closed", and "purchased by another lender". But there's nothing under Collections, or Adverse Accounts, or Negative Accounts, etc, on any of the 3 reports.

What gives?

I never asked for a debt validation, and I started payments. I assume that by making payment, I admitted that I do owe these guys money? Is it worth anything to ask for a DV now? What sort of proof can I demand from them?

I live in VA, fwiw.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU