Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I got a notice last night of a summons to Arbitration some time in sept. I think PA is unique in that they are forced to go through this rather then an actual trial to save court costs/ time ,etc.

I think I need to file a response to this right away, but I am a bit lost as to what to do. I see the lawyer sites(and was even contacted out of the blue by one) and of course they all claim that I should always use them, and NEVER try to do anything on my own.

This debt is valid, and they really did follow things through to the letter, so i have no hope of getting anything vacated due to threats, etc. I stupidly didn't try and work with them on a settlement, and I am assuming its futile to try and talk to them now?

I assume my course of action is to respond with my answer to prevent a default judgement, and just take my order to pay in sept at the hearing? Or would a debt lawyer really make any kind of difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Why didn't the Chapter 7 go through? If your in a no garnishment state just walk from everything and say gently caress it.

no garnishment states often let bank accounts get raided.

Keep your paycheck, but have no ability to write checks, pay bills is a big downer.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I've gotten a letter stating the usual 'we are suing you' etc, and i filed a motion of appearance to stop any default judgements.

But looking at my bank account now, i see that there is a $200 'check' made out from my account to the collection company. Its NOT a written check, so i assume electronic.

Looking at the online court records, i see my notice of appearance, and NO judgements listed... so how are they able to do anything ?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I just need a little reminding on the procedure to follow here:

My wife got a lawsuit filed against her, and I got an 'intent to defend' filed with the court. In the meantime, she paid them a 'good faith' payment (without my knowledge) to them. Now she never got anything in writing or even asked for them to halt legal action ,etc.

They acknowledge the payment, but i also got a notice that they have won a default judgement against her, dispite the filing.

The court needs a reminder of this, right ?

EDIT: I should say that it was just a notice to defend, but that should get me to the hearing date and prevent a default judgement, right?

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 22, 2011