Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yatagan
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozma

CubsWoo posted:

What she'll want to check is if Wal-Mart itself has some kind of contractual clause that gives them grounds to terminate employment if you're not paying the card.

Completely irrelevant, Wal-Mart already has a million and one different ways to terminate someone with cause for violating random bits of their employee code of conduct if they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yatagan
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozma
I got some silly automated collections call over $40, one of several charges for identical amounts charged over some months. I have payment records from the time of the alleged debt, but I can't be sure this debt is valid due to the repeated nature of the charges.

It's not on my credit report yet, what should I do? It seems silly to start dicking around with certified mail, and I'd pay them to just go away if it doesn't appear on my credit report.

yatagan
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozma

yatagan posted:

I got some silly automated collections call over $40, one of several charges for identical amounts charged over some months. I have payment records from the time of the alleged debt, but I can't be sure this debt is valid due to the repeated nature of the charges.

It's not on my credit report yet, what should I do? It seems silly to start dicking around with certified mail, and I'd pay them to just go away if it doesn't appear on my credit report.

I called them up, and they said they don't automatically report debts they receive, but the original company might have. Unfortunately, they couldn't guarantee that if I paid for the debt that it wouldn't be reported by them in the future. I'm pretty sure that's just bullshit but if they simply won't do that I guess I should start looking into a lawsuit.

I already have them recorded with a few clear (to me) FDCPA violations.

They informed me that they could still call me at any time between 8AM and 9PM when I told them these times were inconvenient.

Section 807: "... Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section: ... The threat to take any action that cannot legally be taken or that is not intended to be taken."

Section 805.1 states that it's illegal to call me at times that are inconvenient to me. :smug:

From Section 807 again: "The use of any business, company, or organization name other than the true name of the debt collector’s business, company, or organization."

Their website clearly uses a different name than their company.

I might be wrong here, or maybe it's time to go get some action started.

yatagan
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozma

Bookish posted:

Where I am they do not notify you ahead of time that they are going to garnish your bank account because then you could empty the account before they can hit it.

That doesn't make sense, you would have to have a chance to represent yourself in court and if you lose you should have some idea that a judgment often results in garnishment.

LorneReams posted:

It's exactly what happened in that article...except I don't have the executive and judicial brances of my local government on my payroll.

It's different because you haven't applied for garnishment of their money. I'm not even sure you can do that against a corporation though so maybe you still have a point?