Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjsnyde
Nov 20, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
It's nice to see other people have been hosed over in one way or another by creditors / collectors. I made some poor decisions when I was younger, coupled with some bad luck with work, and now have a sub 500 credit score and no money to even think about paying things off. The major things are medical bills and a couple of car repos. Everything else is small stuff, less than $500 that I think has been given up on.

I do have a question about the repos though. Last year, I was doing quite well as a contractor installing cable TV. We were just about to the point of being able to save / pay down some debt, but my job went in the toilet and our nice van was repoed. I never learn, because this very same thing happened 4 years earlier, except the van only had like $2000 owed on it. Oddly enough, in the 4 years since the first repo, I haven't heard anything from the dealer where I got the car. They tried to come and get it, it wasn't working so I said just let me clean it out (it was full of tools and cable boxes) and come back and tow it away. That was the last I ever heard from them, no letters, no calls, nothing. It was one of those buy here pay here deals with the little boxes you put a code in when you pay, sort of like a breathalizer for deadbeats instead of drunk drivers. Anyway, I don't want to call and ask, just to open things back up but I am curious what may have happened. I used this van for work, and it was pretty beat up when they took it. Any thoughts on that?

The second repo, was a newer van. They took it around August of this year. Owed ~$12,000 when they took it, haven't heard from them - yet - but awaiting a court date on that one. When we bought it, we got one of those "come to the dealer and claim your prize" flyers, and the whole thing was shady. The salespeople were from out of town, and running this 'promotion' for the dealer. We actually were doing ok at the time, and needed a newer car for the family, so we went ahead with it. I make poo poo for money now, not really enough to pay bills, so I'm wondering how this might play out, in court or otherwise.

Thanks for some interesting reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjsnyde
Nov 20, 2009

skipdogg posted:

The first one I wouldn't worry about. The BHPH place made a profit off of you and coming after you just costs money. They took the van back, prettied it up and sold it off to someone else making even more money.

As for the 2nd repo, things depend. Have you gotten any mail from them? It'll probably come certified. Have they sold the van yet? Who was the financing company and what state do you live in?

I live in New Hampshire, bought the van in Maine, and it was financed through 'Western Funding' out of Nevada I think. No mail as of yet. Looking back this was very shady having an outside company conduct a sale for what I thought was an established dealer with a decent reputation. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would have brought in a bunch of high pressure sales people with gimmicks to get people in.

Oh, thats right.. I bought one didn't I.. :downsbravo:

I'll have to wait and see, but if they want any money from me it's going to be less than $30 a month. I'm self-employed to so wages to garnish.

rjsnyde
Nov 20, 2009

CharlieX posted:

Yes for private debt but not for child support or Federally backed student loans. In other words you can't move to Texas to get away from child support or defaulted student loans.

Not sure about child support, but for Federal student loans, they WILL take your income tax refund. It takes a few years after defaulting, but it will happen. They got me 8 years ago. After the first refund was taken, I still owed about ~$1000. Around March I started getting calls from collections again. I figured that they would just give up and continue taking my tax refunds until it was paid, which would be the next year. I told them that I wasn't going to give them a dime, and that they would have to wait until next year and you can have my tax refund for the balance. I never told them not to call, or to cease communication, but I always thought it to be strange, they knew my situation, knew I should get a decent refund and all would be paid. They still called once or twice a week.

I did owe the money, so I didn't mind, but sometimes you count on that check for things, and they hadn't told me it would happen.

rjsnyde
Nov 20, 2009

SlapActionJackson posted:

So yeah, you could've adjusted your withholding to get your refund in your paychecks instead of lending it to Uncle Sam at 0%. You then could've used the extra take-home pay to make the payments on your student loans as agreed and not even been in default.

I'm self employed, so I have no deductions from my 'paycheck'. I didn't make much at the time, so between my deductions and three kids along with EIC, I get a refund. For a few years, they got my refund. I'm older and wiser now, and only default on auto loans.