Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

I'm helping my cousin on this one. We sent a debt validation letter to NCO financial systems, inc. who were trying to collect on an old card my cousin had. So old he can't remember the original creditor, but he remembers it was sold to providian, then to SST, where he defaulted, then to NCO for collections. The response he got from the validation letter in the op was

"Thank you for your recent communication. I can assure you that we are committed to assisting you; however, we have been unable to locate the matter you have referenced from the information we have been provided. Please provide us with further identifying information such as your social security number, the name of the original creditor, the creditor's account number and/or reference number and the billing address of the account. A copy of any correspondence you may have received from us would also be of assistance. Kindly contact me at the above address with this information."

So is he in the clear as far as them being unable to locate the debt with just his name/address and their reference number that they provided, or is he required to send some or all of that information back to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Knightmare posted:

They need all that poo poo to collect the debt and the fact they're asking you for it is pretty hilarious. Is the debt on your cousin's credit report? You should be able to contest it if so, as they can't prove the debt is yours. You should also be able to write a cease communications letter unless they can validate the debt. There might be another step that CubsWoo knows of, but there should be examples of how to do both of these things above from earlier in the thread.

Actually, the validation letter contained a cease communication except via writing, despite this they have called 5 times since they receive the letter (yay return receipt certified!), which my cousin recorded (Michigan is a one party consent state). Basically at this point its building to a small claims lawsuit.