Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AuntBuck posted:

You'll see that blurb at the bottom of all their communications, they're required to include it by law. Congrats, that's not a legit debt validation. The purpose of debt validation basically is to show they purchased/were assigned the debt to collect and are authorized to collect it. A valid debt validation would be something like including copies of statements or a signed credit card agreement, not some info they typed out in notepad.

I have a similar situation. I was sent a "attempt to collect a debt by a debt collector" from the firm Fulton, Friedman, and Gullace (from Asset Acceptance).

Dear XXX,

Your unpaid account listed above has been referred to our office collection.

At this time, no attorney with this firm has personally reviewed the particular circumstances of your account.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

(blurb about 30 days pass, it's automatically valid if no dispute)

Very truly yours,

company contact info

Please be advised that our client, Asset Acceptance, LLC, has requested that we include the following message.

Important disclosure

------------------------------

federal law blurb

Nothing else besides an empty envelope was with it. Advise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

AuntBuck posted:

Is this your first contact from them? That looks like a fairly standard dunning letter.

First contact, yes. Should I demand an itemization list on exactly what I owe or even acknowledge them?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So a continuation of this affair, I found out the debt I apparently owe is a revolving line of credit. The paperwork has me signed with a witness 5 years and a month ago. SOL for open-ended in Illinois is 5 years, but I'm reading SOL resets if I made a payment at any point after the initial signing.

What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.