Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I work in a debt collection firm in England. I'm not sure how it translates to American rules, but over here, if it's less than £750, poo poo can't be done, basically. The only thing that matters is selling Statutory Demands, as it brings in profit.

All that happens is that we send out 3 letters (Basically 'Hello, we have your debt' 'Hey, you're not paying your debt' 'Seriously, pay the debt') followed by a phonecall if you have a number. If you raise a dispute, we generally leave it. Although we do only chase debts we have valid invoices for, it's just not worth the bother.

There's alot of poo poo we do that I don't think is legal. One of the guys threatens people out of the arse, and will only tell people the call is recorded on an outbound the second they say something he wants. I'm not sure if that's right, but I always thought that you have to announce the recording at the beginning of the call. We create court dates and then don't attend. It's basically scare tactics until we hit the £10 mark, I reckon.

I think the state of the business shows when we have nearly double telemarketing staff than actual collectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU