Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I was contacted by a debt collector via email back in December regarding an unpaid utility bill from an electricity utility at an address I didn't recognize. At that time, I sent them a dispute with a signed lease and my latest bill from that utility for the address I did live at, saying I didn't recognize the debt because I didn't live at that address. Today they got back to me, rejecting the dispute and attaching scans of the unpaid bills. The bills do have my full name and the unrecognized address but no other identifying information.

I was thinking of asking for a signed lease showing I lived at the address in question. Is there any other kind of proof I can provide (or demand)? They did utility signups over the phone during covid restrictions, so there's no signed agreement I can ask for, I think. I thought about filing an identity theft report but I live in Tokyo now so it'd be rather inconvenient.

edit: contacted the utility + management company for the building directly and, after several rounds of back and forth, the utility said they would very much prefer I pay but had opened a ticket internally to investigate and then went radio silent. the collector calls stopped at that time so hopefully it's all sorted now

Steely Glint fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU