Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

I had racked up $100k in legal fees that I stuck on several credit cards and lines of business credit. I was still in the US at the time, and when poo poo finally settled I was already living in HK.

I walked away from that $100k unsecured debt and there was nothing these creditors were able to do to me. Like 2 of them sued me about 4 years ago, but since I was now in Hong Kong (and still am!) a default judgment from a US court is meaningless here. So I don't have to worry about having my income garnished or my bank account seized.

My US credit was ruined for sure, but it didn't follow me to HK anyways. I built a brand new credit history in Hong Kong and have never looked back.

Edit: Also when the creditors sued me, they never properly served me because they couldn't find me. They actually tried to leave the papers with my parents which isn't going to make any judgment stick. But like I said, a US judgment doesn't matter to me anyways.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

What would happen if you were to move back to the US?

I wouldn't be able to open a US bank account under my own name, that's for sure. But opening an offshore bank account is actually still pretty easy these days. It's not so easy for creditors to actually discover offshore bank accounts, and they're legal as long as you pay your taxes.

I'm never going to move back to the US though. I'm pretty well settled down in HK.